1. 1. What is your favourite browser?

• Internet Explorer
    • Opera
    • Chrome
    • Firefox
    • Safari
    • Other (explain)

unless RockMelt turns out to be pretty good lol

I only played with RockMelt for a few minutes, but it didn't seem to behave any differently from the other chromium based browsers. I passed over it because I really have no use for the social media features it offers. I use Comodo's Dragon browser now. The way it upgrades totally sucks, so I've thought about trying SRWare Iron instead. Other then the upgrade fail, Dragon is a really nice browser.

']The problem here is that most people don't think like you or I. Only some people really care about their privacy, and most people don't really give much of a damn about what browser they use as long as they get online. In fact, I'm willing to bet that for most people, privacy is the last thing on their mind when browsing through the internet. Google is willing to take advantage of that stupidity and do just about anything with their data. Most people just turn on their computer, go online, use Microsoft Word or something and then shut it down. With that mentality, how do you expect them to know jack crap about what Google or some other browser is doing behind their backs. Of course, this only applies to some people. There are those that know what's going on but don't care enough to do something, and honestly, I could care less, I mean, it's their data, not mine, so I say let them do what they want, everyone to themselves, just don't come bitchin to us or anybody else when something happens(something, I don't know what) when we warned you before. Not saying something is going to happen but with Google having access to user data.....well, Koby already mentioned it so there's no need for me to repeat it.

I'm not a fan with what Google is now trying to do either. I believe the spying is "suppose" to only take place when you're using Chrome while logged into your Google account. The stuff you type into the omnibox is sent to google however. You are "suppose" to be able to turn this off in the advanced settings, but I lack the skills to really know how much google really gets from Chrome. I would like to think if their spying was really as bad as people are trying to make it out to be. That there would be a much bigger stink going on about it.

My problem with Firefox is their decision to drop their development of a sandboxing feature. They seem to be content with relying on extensions for added security, and I don't really care for that strategy. The extensions you install on firefox can easily spy on you, even if firefox doesn't. There is also no guarantee that they won't do something you don't want them to. NoScript is a great example of this, because it pops up ads when it updates. When Adblock Plus attempted to do it's job and block those ads. The people behind NoScript did there best to circumvent it. This was what finally got me to move away from Firefox. Yes, I know Chromium isn't hacker proof, no browser is. Browsers that offer sandboxing at least make the task a little harder then those that don't.

I also think being butthurt over google spying on you, but not being butthurt when facebook, microsoft, amazon, and pretty much every other major internet company spy on you, is also a bit hypocritical. They're all pimps that treat our private information like cheap whores. Google is just doing there best to be the top pimp. If you don't want to be spied on, you should stay off the internet.

Edit: Want to add something about whats below

One of the things I like about firefox is how it loads its tabs. I can have 20+ tabs open in firefox, and it won't use half as much as what chrome would. If you have many tabs open in chrome, it just starts to lag (even with a decent PC).

The reason Chrome, or any Chromium browser, uses more ram is due to the way it handles tabs. They open the tabs in a different process from the rest of the browser. While this does take up more ram, it has its purpose. When a tab in firefox hijacks your browser leaving you unable to close it. You have no choice but to kill the entire program. Doing this may cause you to lose other important tabs you didn't have bookmarked yet. This doesn't happen in Chrome. All you have to do is open chrome's task manager, and kill the tab process. Then just close out that one bad tab. There is no need to kill the entire browser because they are not in the same process. That is the beauty of separating them all out like this. Yes, it does take a lot of ram, but computers are only going to get more powerful. Google seems to understand this, but I have no idea what the Firefox devs are thinking.

This is at least one area where I can recommend not using Chrome (unless it's changed since I last used it). That is because Chrome combines all its tabs into one process, causing you to kill them all together. You can still refresh the non-hijacking tabs and get them back, but you have to wait for them to refresh first. The other chromium browsers separate each tab, so you only ever have to kill that one bad tab.

I hate sounding like a Google fanboy, but they do have the better browser. At least imo, but if you have the ram. I'd use one of the other chromium based browsers.

Edited by L4ugh
  • Like 2

I used chrome for a while until they removed the side tabs feature. Now I mainly use firefox with the tree style tabs add on. Tabs are so much easier to read and organize on the side of the screen insisted of on top. Plus, moving them to the side frees up more vertical space for webpages to occupy.

• 2 weeks later...

I used chrome for a while until they removed the side tabs feature. Now I mainly use firefox with the tree style tabs add on. Tabs are so much easier to read and organize on the side of the screen insisted of on top. Plus, moving them to the side frees up more vertical space for webpages to occupy.

I never knew Chrome had a side tabs feature. I'll have to look into the add on you say you use for Firefox. I tend to use Firefox or Chrome with Firefox being my main browser for every day use (because of the tons of addons) while Chrome is more when I want to play a game on Facebook (some games just seem faster on Chrome). I do still use Internet Explorer from time to time but usually only when there are issues with my school website after a Firefox update.

Edited by Serafinastar

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What is your favorite web browser, and which do you believe is the best of the best?

I've only used Internet Explorer and Firefox.

Internet Explorer is very buggy. It doesn't display correctly alot of the time as it was designed basically to make n00b coders incorrectly coded sites display fine, therefore alot of correctly coded sites are altered. Internet Explorer is also the least secure web browser and is the biggest target for ad ware and spy ware.

On the other hand Fire Fox is one of the #1 recommended browsers by many people, as well as it has won several awards for best browser. Most webmasters use it, and recommend it over all others, and it has alot of helpful plug ins. However at first Firefox can be a bit slow and not run very well, but you can fix that by going into the configurations and changing a couple things. Or at least it was that way on earlier versions.

So I believe Fire Fox is the best. ^_^

[Added tags, yo. Also made the poll show up because it wasn't showing for me. - EO]

I don't like IE at all, it's just to buggy and glitchy on my computer, so is firefox sometimes.

in my opinion i think Google Chrome is the most stable webbrowser, without bugs and that kind of stuff :D

Edited by Makaveli7

• 1 month later...

The ones I've used each have their own problems:

Internet Explorer - Just terrible in general

Google Chrome - Lacks some features that people prefer but is simple (hence why I use it)

Firefox - Just seems to have too much features kinda like Windows Vista

Safari - Made by Apple, hence bad

Out of these four, Firefox or Chrome are the way to go depending on what you want, but never Safari of IE