15 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite browser?

• Internet Explorer
    • Opera
    • Chrome
    • Firefox
    • Safari
    • Other (explain)

I prefer Firefox. It has pretty much everything I need to be honest. It has good addon support though I only use 1 or 2 addons. My main issue with it is that it uses quite a bit of memory in comparison to other browsers. I've used Chrome before which is also pretty good but I prefer Firefox.

I did have a few problems with the amount of memory firefox would use (memory leak) but when i updated firefox and my computers kernel the problem was fixed. Open source is the future!

Internet Explorer was garbage. I couldn't believe the improvement I saw when I switched to Firefox along time ago. I tried using Chrome at one point but it just didn't sit well with me. It usually just seems to be what one works with the way you browse the internet. Firefox hasn't steered me wrong yet and until it does I will continue using it.

• 1 month later...

Best browser in my opinion is Google Chrome. For the longest time I was a die-hard Firefox user. Then over time it just started to loose its appeal with me. It started getting clunky and features that I liked were being pulled. The main reason why I never switched to another browser was because of the add-ons.

After awhile I tried Chrome, and it was the fastest thing I've used in my entire life. You just can't beat the Omnibox. Plus it's come to a point where there are enough extensions to make up for the add-ons.

I still use Firefox and IE occasionally when a site is wonky in Chrome, so I still give the other browsers a chance every now and again.

Best browser in my opinion is Google Chrome. For the longest time I was a die-hard Firefox user. Then over time it just started to loose its appeal with me. It started getting clunky and features that I liked were being pulled. The main reason why I never switched to another browser was because of the add-ons.

After awhile I tried Chrome, and it was the fastest thing I've used in my entire life. You just can't beat the Omnibox. Plus it's come to a point where there are enough extensions to make up for the add-ons.

I still use Firefox and IE occasionally when a site is wonky in Chrome, so I still give the other browsers a chance every now and again.

You know Chrome tracks everything you do and sells your browsing habits and information? Also they recently announced that their add-ons can and will be monetized with advertisements. Chromes adblock will essentially end up instead of blocking ads, simply changing them out for their own. It's a way to steal income from sites that rely on ads to support themselves and put loads of money into addon makers pockets. Chrome is also not Open Source despite being based on existing Open Source software.

I use chrome, and on the rare occasion that it doesnt work, i'll use IE. I absolutly HATE firefox, all the features seem to be completely unorganized. I can never find anything, and the plug-ins are terrible. Also, just wondering but has anyone tried RockMelt? I dont know much about it, but I was wondering if its any good.

I use chrome, and on the rare occasion that it doesnt work, i'll use IE. I absolutly HATE firefox, all the features seem to be completely unorganized. I can never find anything, and the plug-ins are terrible. Also, just wondering but has anyone tried RockMelt? I dont know much about it, but I was wondering if its any good.

That's funny considering a lot of the most used add ons on Chrome are from FireFox. So, to say they're bad, you're already saying Chromes addons are bad. Plus did you even bother to read my last post where Chrome tracks and sells everything you do, as well as implementing advertisements into their addons?

Also, I've installed Chrome once (on my sisters PC, lol) and ran FireFox and Chrome side by side. Chrome was using nearly triple the RAM (memory), while it had no plugins installed, yet FireFox had programs like adblock+, etc. Chrome was also laggy compared to FireFox.

That's funny considering a lot of the most used add ons on Chrome are from FireFox. So, to say they're bad, you're already saying Chromes addons are bad. Plus did you even bother to read my last post where Chrome tracks and sells everything you do, as well as implementing advertisements into their addons?

Also, I've installed Chrome once (on my sisters PC, lol) and ran FireFox and Chrome side by side. Chrome was using nearly triple the RAM (memory), while it had no plugins installed, yet FireFox had programs like adblock+, etc. Chrome was also laggy compared to FireFox.

I did read it, but honest I don't care if Google does that. But yeah I did notice that it takes a bunch of RAM. Although for the computer I built its really no problem. Also I havnt used firefox for almost 2 years now (probably should have said that in the first post lol) so maybe the plugins have changed some, but they never really worked well when I used them.

One of the things I like about firefox is how it loads its tabs. I can have 20+ tabs open in firefox, and it won't use half as much as what chrome would. If you have many tabs open in chrome, it just starts to lag (even with a decent PC).

really, I've never noticed anything when I do that

You know Chrome tracks everything you do and sells your browsing habits and information? Also they recently announced that their add-ons can and will be monetized with advertisements. Chromes adblock will essentially end up instead of blocking ads, simply changing them out for their own. It's a way to steal income from sites that rely on ads to support themselves and put loads of money into addon makers pockets. Chrome is also not Open Source despite being based on existing Open Source software.

Yeah like ruekk said, I don't really mind if they track everything I do and sell it. I mean I'm used to Comcast already doing that with me lol (at least with torrents). Now that advertisement thing doesn't sound good to me. If I start to get riddled with advertisements I'll probably go back to Firefox. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

I don't get how people can try to bitch and complain about their privacy being invaded, but then when it comes to their internet browsing, they choose to have absolutely no privacy. The fact is, that data is sold to the highest bidder. If the government or copyright holders ever wanted in on it, they could easily have access to your browsing habits (which obviously includes piracy)... and voila that's all she wrote. When you're doing illegal things, it's SMART to not have someone watching your every input right over your shoulder.

It's like people don't even have common sense enough to realize how hypocritical their actions are. I'm not talking about you two, as I haven't seen either of you actually complain elsewhere about privacy.. but I've seen this at a lot of other communities I go to and it's just ~_~ . For anyone who cares about privacy, Chrome is certainly evil.

I don't get how people can try to bitch and complain about their privacy being invaded, but then when it comes to their internet browsing, they choose to have absolutely no privacy. The fact is, that data is sold to the highest bidder. If the government or copyright holders ever wanted in on it, they could easily have access to your browsing habits (which obviously includes piracy)... and voila that's all she wrote. When you're doing illegal things, it's SMART to not have someone watching your every input right over your shoulder.

It's like people don't even have common sense enough to realize how hypocritical their actions are. I'm not talking about you two, as I haven't seen either of you actually complain elsewhere about privacy.. but I've seen this at a lot of other communities I go to and it's just ~_~ . For anyone who cares about privacy, Chrome is certainly evil.

The problem here is that most people don't think like you or I. Only some people really care about their privacy, and most people don't really give much of a damn about what browser they use as long as they get online. In fact, I'm willing to bet that for most people, privacy is the last thing on their mind when browsing through the internet. Google is willing to take advantage of that stupidity and do just about anything with their data. Most people just turn on their computer, go online, use Microsoft Word or something and then shut it down. With that mentality, how do you expect them to know jack crap about what Google or some other browser is doing behind their backs. Of course, this only applies to some people. There are those that know what's going on but don't care enough to do something, and honestly, I could care less, I mean, it's their data, not mine, so I say let them do what they want, everyone to themselves, just don't come bitchin to us or anybody else when something happens(something, I don't know what) when we warned you before. Not saying something is going to happen but with Google having access to user data.....well, Koby already mentioned it so there's no need for me to repeat it.

For the record, I use Firefox, and I'm not changing any time soon, mostly because I've used it for such a long time that I'm pretty used to it. It takes somewhat of a toll on memory but that's a moot point when you're dealing with 8/16 GB in your system.

The problem here is that most people don't think like you or I. Only some people really care about their privacy, and most people don't really give much of a damn about what browser they use as long as they get online. In fact, I'm willing to bet that for most people, privacy is the last thing on their mind when browsing through the internet. Google is willing to take advantage of that stupidity and do just about anything with their data. Most people just turn on their computer, go online, use Microsoft Word or something and then shut it down. With that mentality, how do you expect them to know jack crap about what Google or some other browser is doing behind their backs. Of course, this only applies to some people. There are those that know what's going on but don't care enough to do something, and honestly, I could care less, I mean, it's their data, not mine, so I say let them do what they want, everyone to themselves, just don't come bitchin to us or anybody else when something happens(something, I don't know what) when we warned you before. Not saying something is going to happen but with Google having access to user data.....well, Koby already mentioned it so there's no need for me to repeat it.

For the record, I use Firefox, and I'm not changing any time soon, mostly because I've used it for such a long time that I'm pretty used to it. It takes somewhat of a toll on memory but that's a moot point when you're dealing with 8/16 GB in your system.

Exactly, it our own choice whether we let that happen. I, personally, really don't care if they take it cuz well it hasnt effected me before. if it effects me in the future then I might switch. But until then im probably gonna stay with chrome.

EDIT:

unless RockMelt turns out to be pretty good lol

I would like to read up on this sale of data and whatnot. Can you point me to a trustworthy source? I cant find anything (not surprsing...).

EDIT:

nvm, reading through the Terms of Service& Privacy Policy... Shit.

Yeah, last time I read their TOS, it mentioned it there. Pretty sure Google's own TOS for Chrome can be considered trustworthy, lol.