A Curious String of Events (working title)

Nero D. Ace

banner.png

Chapter 16 : The Truth Behind It All – Part 2

WHAT IN THE NAME OF GOD!!!!

Behind him, Empathy spoke. “This is where we keep the test subjects who failed to produce results.”

She closed the door behind them.

Indy stared into the room. It was massive! And it stretched underground.

There was a storage room like this UNDERNEATH the school building.

But, it was the stored “items” that caught his attention.

He saw live people tied to tables, lying down, their fingers constantly moving and scratching the wooden surface, as if trying to break free.

“All of these tests are failures. Within ten minutes of injection, their brain dissolved in their skull, driving them mindless. For some reason, their bodies continue to move instinctively, immune to any kind of pain ...”

“Just what the hell ...”, Indy spoke quietly. “have you been up to? Why have you put all these people here?”

Empathy smiled. “We needed to research. Find out what mistakes we've been making and then rectify them. However, we won't have to keep them alive for any longer now. Once we get the go-ahead from HQ, we can ...”

“HAMSTER!!!!!”, a man yelled out, and was soon joined by others.

Indy covered his ears. Never before had he heard such menacing sounds.

Almost like the sounds of demons writhing in pain.

But, it was the word hamster that caught his attention.

Why do they keep saying that word? First Shade, now them...

“What does the word 'Hamster' mean to them?”, Indy asked.

“I have no idea. Everytime a test subject fails, he constantly utters only that word over and over again. Hamster. Every single test subject knows only that word.”, Empathy replied.

WAIT A MINUTE! COULD THIS MEAN ...

“Just what exactly was this drug that you were testing?”, Indy asked suspiciously.

Empathy smiled evilly. “It's a drug ... to defeat death.”

There was a sudden silence in the room as Indy processed that statement.

A drug to defeat death ... failed experiments ... could that mean that they had all seen those messengers of death? But why were they still alive in that case?

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?!!!!!

“Is Shade ... a failed experiment?”

Empathy nodded. “Unfortunately, yes. He lasted much longer than i had expected, however. It took him a full day before his brain dissolved. A new record i must say.”

HIS BRAIN DISSOLVED!

He flashed back to his last moment with Shade. He had been in the same predicament. Looking just as helpless as every one of those “test-subjects”. And the word “hamster”.

Indy started hyperventilating. It was all too much for him.

“Why? ... Why did you do this? Why are you trying so desperately to kill me?”

“You ask why we want to kill you?”, Empathy asked. “Very well. Take a look at this video.”

She brought up a video that had most likely been recorded from a camera in the room.

“We keep all surveillance video stored. In case we ever need to cross-check anything. Now, look closely.”

Indy watched the footage unfold, and his shock increased with every frame.

NO! ... NO, THIS CAN'T BE!!! IT JUST ... CAN'T BE ...

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

banner.png

Chapter 17 : What Happened Last Night ...

Empathy was walking around the lab, taking notes and equating numbers. She had a calculator in one hand and a notepad in the other.

She suddenly looked up and smiled.

“Well, it looks like the chances of your survival have risen by 2%.”, she said to a man tied up against the wall, absolute fear in his eyes.

“Let's hope YOUR brain doesn't dissolve now.”

She got up and took a pair of injections from a cupboard. One was red while the other was a deadly black.

The man's eyes widened and he started squirming around desperately, to move out of the way.

Empathy calmly went up to him and stabbed him with the black injection in the neck.

The man's eyes convulsed, then started leaking.

In the next moment, his right eye exploded, splattering blood and liquids everywhere.

In a few more seconds, his body went limp.

Empathy simply tsked and injected him with the red one, slightly below the previous one.

The scene skipped to five minutes ahead, and the man's body started to move again. His left eye opened and he looked around wildly.

“Welcome back. You've just come back from the dead. Can you understand me?”

The man stared at her blankly. Then, an expression of shock came over.

“HAM ... STER!!!!”

Empathy sighed. “Another failure. What am I doing wrong ...”

The door behind her crashed open and Stuy and Boltzz came in, dragging the unconscious bodies of Indy and Shade.

“We found these two outside, snooping around. You want us to ... handle them?”, Stuy took out his knife.

Empathy shook her head.

“No, i need more test subjects anyway. Tie them up.”

“Yes, professor.”, Boltzz nodded and got to work.

---------------------------

The scene skipped another ten minutes and now showed Empathy looming over Shade in the same fashion as she had over the previous man.

“Let's hope YOU work out better.”, she said before repeating the procedure.

Shade's body moved around, fighting the drug, then failed and fell.

Then, he too resurrected ... with one difference. His face was not blank, and he was more confused than scared.

“Empy, what the hell is going on?”, he said. “Why is my head hurting so ...”

Boltzz rammed him on the head with his bat, rendering him unconscious again.

Empathy quickly ran to the computer.

“Ah yes! This is a vast improvement. His brain cells are dying, but they're not dying SO FAST. We may be able to extract some information from him yet.”

“What about him?”, Stuy gestured to Indy.

“I doubt he'll produce such magnificent results ... but why not. One should never waste a test subject.”

Indy was tied up and injected as well.

Then, a few moments after the second injection, Empathy went to check the computer and gasped ...

“This can't be ... HE is the perfect specimen. The one to defeat death. His brain cells aren't decomposing at all. On the contrary, they're re-generating. THIS IS AMAZING!!”, she yelled in delight. “We have to call the boss immediately.”

“Professor”, Boltzz interrupted. “He's waking up.”

He gestured a Indy's agonized face.

Empathy hurriedly rushed over to him.

“Indy ... Indy, can you hear me? What did you see? What was the last image you saw? Tell me ...”

Indy' eyes slowly opened as he looked around.

Then, his gaze fell on Stuy and he roared in agony.

“YOU ... SON OF A ...” he yelled before letting out a horrendous scream.

His eyes started changing ... from a light hazel color to dark golden. His hair grew abnormally long. And his teeth ... his teeth became jagged and pointy.

“ARGHHH!!!!!”, the monster yelled as it ripped off the strapping with his bare hands.

It then proceeded to clobber Stuy ... until his eyes fell on the lab's cat.

“FOODDD!!!!!”, it yelled as it went after it.

The cat turned around and ran in terror.

“STOP HIM!!!”, Empathy screamed, but Stuy was unconscious and Boltzz was whimpering in terror.

Then, a loud CRASH was heard, a breaking of windows.

“DAMN! HE'S ESCAPED!”, Empathy swore. “I have to contact HQ about this. And as for you ...”

she looked at Shade.

“I believe I have a very important assignment for you ... once i program your brain of course.”

The video ended and Indy felt utterly exhausted, like he had no clue what had happened.

I'm ... I'm a frigging ... MONSTER!!!!!

JUST WHAT IN THE NAME OF DAMNATION AM I?!!!!!

he fell to the floor, confused and helpless. He didn't notice Empathy dial a number on her phone.

Meanwhile ...

A car stopped outside Kametsu High.

Vesh looked over at Rival.

“This is your first job, kid. Don't screw it up. I'll stay here and act as a lookout, allright?”

Rival nodded nervously.

“Don't worry Mr. V, i've got this.”

invertbanner-1.png

Anti-Chapter 3 : The Massacre

Koby splashed his face with water in the guy's bathroom. He was tired from the day's events. He had phoned the police and the hospital to get Shade some medical treatment.

Indy had clearly gone insane. He couldn't allow it to go any further.

There was a knock at the door and a boy entered.

He wasn't wearing the school uniform and was dressed in tattered rags.

“Are you Koby?”, he asked, shakingly.

“Yes”, Koby replied. “And who are you? I've never seen you around the school before. What do you ...”

The boy took out a semi-automatic handgun from behind his back and let loose a volley of bullets that pierced Koby's entire face and chest.

------------------------

5 minutes later, Stuy and Boltzz entered with a trolley, filled with no less than 4 body bags.

“So you're the new kid, eh.”, Boltzz said to the boy. “Rival, was it?”

Rival nodded and pointed to Koby's body. “He's dead.”

Stuy looked over the many holes in Koby and rolled his eyes.

“Geez ... you think so? You forgot to put holes in his arms you know ...”

In an instant, Rival was up and firing into Koby's arm.

“STOP IT!! STOP IT!!!”, Stuy yelled. “I was just being sarcastic.”

“Oh,” Rival said and pocketed the gun. “Should we get rid of the bodies then ...”

Suddenly, the door behind them opened and Mae entered, a stunned expression on her face.

Rival reached for his gun again, but Stuy held him back.

“Not so fast, Mr. Trigger-happy.”

Mae hissed at them. “Why are you taking so long? Hurry up and get rid of the bodies.”

“Yes, Miss Mae.”, Boltzz said and started putting Koby in the bag.

“Just one more left then?”, Rival asked.

Stuy nodded. “Yes, and he's in the lab. Let's move.”

Koby see's death the rabbit, and gets reborn inside the bag which they also tossed the gun in to get rid of.. he feel's he is being carried, gets hold the the rifle and fires all over the place, the killers drop dead and koby smacks the ground hard instead the bag. He rips it open through the bullet holes and walks away.. hehe.. xD