Foreign Language

Elsch

Does anyone here speak more than one language? If not, what language would you learn if you had the chance to? Why do you want to learn that particular language?

The language I am currently learning is Japanese. (And no, I'm not learning it because I love anime. hahaha, Elsch thinks that's a silly reason to learn it.) I have a fondness for the culture and history of Japan, and definitely plan to visit there at least once in my life.

Even without that, I have a fondness for learning about other cultures and how to speak their languages. ^.^ I also would like to learn Arabic, Polish, Russian, Italian, Tamil and Chinese. I know I probably won't get around to learning ALL of those, so if I can get through my life with learning japanese, I will be satisfied.

I think it is amazing when someone can speak more than one language.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took 2 years of French in high school, but I'm not very fluent. Plus, I don't remember a lot of it. I would have liked to continue to learn that language, but it didn't work out.

I don't know if it really counts as a foreign language, but I would also like to learn sign language. I think it's amazing how many different signs there are, and how people can talk with out actually "saying" anything.

The language I am currently learning is Japanese. (And no, I'm not learning it because I love anime. hahaha, Elsch thinks that's a silly reason to learn it.) I have a fondness for the culture and history of Japan, and definitely plan to visit there at least once in my life.

I always wanted to learn Japanese because I am intrigued by their culture and history. But then again, I can thank anime for that, so in a way it was anime that made me wanting to learn Japanese. ^.^ Beside my native language, I also know English and Spanish (I am not that good in it though. >_<) and planning to learn French.

All i speak is english, bastardized english at that but I would really like to learn spanish just because i never took it in high school and maybe italian because I also would enjoy going to europe and visiting italy and it would be nice to honor them a little by knowing how to speak at least a little of their language.

Let's see *ponders* I can obviously speak English also American Sign Language which was fun learning and pretty easy.

I've been teaching myself to learn Japanese. It's hard yes but It's actually fun. Same as your reason not because of anime or anything I just love the sound the pronunciation lol. It's beautiful to my ears haha and just overall I love the culture and lifestyle. I definitely want to visit Japan one day. It's always been my dream.

After that it would be Spanish, Korean, French haha. I wanna learn a lot of language xD

I can speak very little Japanese, I can mostly ask questions in it.

But I'd like to finish learning Japanese and I'd like to start learning Russian and German

Anime got me into Japanese movies which got me interested in the culture so then I wanted to learn the language ^,,^

As for German and Russian I just like they way they sounds so I want to learn them, Not a good reason I know.

At school I used to learn German, but I've forgotten almost all of that. When it was an option, I switched to Mandarin Chinese, which I'm still doing.

I've picked up a few Japanese words, and I'd like to know more. I also think I can say 'eat house' in French, but I heard those words off a friend and it might not be reliable.

Basically, I want to learn Asian languages, because I'd like to go to China, Thailand or Japan sometime.

• 2 weeks later...
I can speak ilongo, a Filipino dialect. Besides that, English, of course. I'm interested in learning Spanish.

:D it's nice to see that i have a fellow country man here.. my native language is Tagalog, the most common Filipino language used.

im fluent in english since it's well thought in the philippines, but since that im working overseas here in dubai, i also know little arabic words since it's needed to understand some local's here..

i know little japanese, because i was much more liked to anime's than watching real movies. also for the reason of playing some japanese oriented games like the super robot taisen series.

what i want to know is how to speak japanese properly and of course the ability to read their writings.

• 2 months later...