Elsch

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am currently learning Japanese. I used to learn it during Primary school and when I was in high school I had the choice of going on with Japanese or German, I chose German as it was a class you could stuff around in. I very much regret most of my years in high school, and now I attend two 1 hour classes a week learning Japanese.

I also plan to make a trip to Japan someday.

hmmm...english obviously...i can speak a fair amount of scottish gaelic, spanish, valencian (a dialect here in spain), quite a bit of italian, a damn good deal of latin, and a little chinese and german (the last two i understand more than i speak).

i'd love to improve ma chinese and learn arabic, wouldn't mind learning russian.

i used to know a little sign language, but i doubt i remember much now, other than the insults...^^

• 6 months later...

Primarily I speak English and Bad English, but I suppose I also speak Winning. And Australian, naturally. ;)

Sadly though, I speak no other language. My dad's side of the family are Dutch but I never had any reason to learn it. Were I to put in the effort to learn another language it would definitely have to be Japanese. It would only be an unimportant hobby to me though so I can't see it happening without a really good reason. Gaming/Anime would never motivate me thusly. Like the topic-creator, it also impresses me when a person knows more than one language (all jokes aside). Clearly such folk are smarter than me, so respect is due.

I speak English that makes everyone I know feel inferior. I use to speak French from my fathers side but had to give it up for another language when I was young since we traveled allot for reason I cannot get into. Currently I speak English and understand one of the local languages of where I'm currently residing.

Next year I have to start learning Japanese not for anime (but it would be sweet to watch anime in it's native language) I have to learn it cause I'm going to go to Japan to study when I'm done with high school.

• 1 year later...

Lot of Japanese in this thread, haha.

Well, as far as I know, I'm a native English speaker. I spent the first two years of my life in the Philippines, but haven't retained any of the language. I do have a surrogate Filipino family, though, because mine sucks.

I took two years of Latin in high school because I didn't want to learn Spanish or French, but I might look into French anyway because Arabic.

When I enlisted into the Air Force, I didn't have any strong feelings as to what I wanted to do, but then they made me take the DLAB and I was pretty much guaranteed to be a cat 4 linguist. So I told them I'd learn whatever they wanted me to learn, and I think my first choice was either Chinese or Korean, but I ended up with Arabic (all of my choices were cat 4 languages, maybe a random cat 3 because I needed to fill the list).

I only know MSA (and I say "know" in the loosest sense--for a brief period I was a 3/2+/2 linguist, but those days are gone), but I had developed a preference for the Levantine dialect in the time I learnt the language at DLI. The Egyptian dialect did not interest me much, but I think I'll have to develop an ear for it anyway because movies.

I haven't studied it much since DLI, but I've retained enough Arabic to show up the university kids in an "intermediate" level course. The stuff the teacher was talking about was like, week ten material. Even Java, who is not a linguist, was understanding the material. I think if you're not using the language in the class, even if it's to say something like, "I have a question" or "may I go to the restroom", you're wasting your time. Immersion is important!

As far as what I'd like to learn, well, now that I'm sufficiently over my grudge against Arabic (I never got to be an Arabic linguist on mission, so being forced to maintain it on a panama schedule was a huge waste of my time), I'd like to get back into it and suck less at it. And, like I mentioned, a bit of French to supplement my Arabic. I still have most of my language materials from DLI, as well as a few grammar books and the like, not to mention the library has a pretty good selection of Arabic material, so it's just a matter of not being lazy.

And I'd also like to get back into Latin. What I learnt was mostly classical, so I'd like to continue that. I don't know why, but I just was not a big fan of the more Italian and medieval pronunciations. Maybe now it's not so bad, but old habits die hard.

Yeah I speak English.

I want to learn Spanish. I've posted elsewhere that I wanted to learn it too. Most of my friends speak it and it would be very beneficial for me to learn it. I took 2 years of it in HS, but I learned nothing since I was in a very bad school lol. If any of you have been in the LAUSD you'd know what I'm talking about. :P I've done extensive research on the best methods to learn it. I would almost certainly have to move to some place that speaks it if I wanted to learn it. That stuff costs money and I'm fairly comfortable where I am right now lol. One of these days I might actually just get something like Pimsleur, but I don't want that interfering with my school work.

I don't really have a desire to learn Japanese, but I have a great respect for it because it brings me things that I enjoy such as gaming (Nintendo) and anime.

I technically speak no languages.  (Because I don't speak. :P)

However, I am fluent in both American, and international sign, I also know some Spanish, some french, an itty bitty bit of German, and some lovely cuss words in Mandarin thanks to my love of Firefly. And of course, fluent in reading, writing, and listening comprehension of English.