Status Quo

Koby

11 minutes ago, Beave said:

Koby,

I appreciate what you went through. I just hope this community sticks together. 

You can get your anime elsewhere, but you can't get the people that make this forum elsewhere.

Exactly my thoughts, and I appreciate you too. Thank you dear friend.

21 hours ago, Faronil said:

Nice to see the site up again and looking forward to seeing what you have planned for it. Although @Koby I seem to recall a site called EnglishDubKingdom. Was that only your secondary Website? :P

I've ran dozens of sites through the years, and yeah EDK was one of them. That place closed around 2012 or 2013 I believe.

19 hours ago, Decrytum said:

Contrary to popular opinion, perhaps the removal of that section isn't too much of a big deal. It is true and I understand that it was that section which attracted quite a few of us to kametsu (including me) but now that i look back on it, it was also driving users away from the discussions platform that kametsu intended to be and also what i hear it was when it first began.

Lets face it, there are a lot of other places on the internet to find the kind of content we are blaming kametsu for no longer supporting. But a non-toxic and pleasant community where we can freely discuss our interests as well as fetishes are still too few and far between.

Discussions already seem to be slightly more active now than they had been in the recent years.

People seem to think thousands of 1-time posters leaving is going to somehow kill the community. They didn't contribute to the community so their visiting added nothing to it. Them leaving isn't a loss.

I'm fine if it ends up being 50-100 long time friends posting a few times every few days. The forum will continue. I'll advertise it from the ground up and build the community as I've always done with any site I've ran. I've been running websites for coming close to 20 years now, and I've been very good at keeping them going. Kametsu thrived for 5 years without any downloads before we ever introduced a download section to it. So to think it's gonna die for the removal of it is silly. Many of our regulars weren't even visiting for downloads; in fact many long time discussion contributing members left due to the spam of the 1 time post leechers. The post spam is no longer an issue, so if anything such members would be willing to enjoy the community again as it was originally intended to be.

• Like 2

For a while I was worried if the site was gonna come back at all but I'm glad to see it's mostly all still here in some shape or form. As for the content, lurking around this site long enough has taught me how to put together my own releases if I really want them and generally speaking there are plenty of other people who can do the same. I'm personally just glad the site is open again. It might even give me an excuse to not be so much of a lurker anymore considering I actually like the community around here. 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Koby said:

10 posts in 4 years? Alrighty, one leech is gone. 😃

If I fought back, the entire community would have vanished when I went to jail (and it was pretty much guaranteed to happen, court was already in process btw) and a few downloads to me isn't worth jail time, but it's cool that people don't care about my life. I don't expect everyone to be appreciative or supportive.

The more I look at this, the more I'm actually happy to have been forced to remove the downloads.

When the dust settles, only those worth maintaining the community for will still be here and the forum will be much more sustainable in terms of requirements needed to run it as we can swap to cheaper servers.

So thank you for making me feel better about the situation. I appreciate it.

I admit it, I'm a leech too. I joined this site for the downloads only when CW closed down and I'm pretty gutted that the downloads section is gone for good. This place had the rarest stuff and it's an absolute bastard that that stuff is gone for good. But at the same time, I fully understand why you did what you did, there really was no choice, it was that or the possibility of going to prison. 

You and the rest of the site have my thanks for all you have given me and I wish you all good luck for the future. Good luck and goodbye ( although, it's probably not goodbye for good, I'll probably still check up on the site now and again 😁 )

• Like 2

Glad the boys are safe. Much love and respect. I'll miss how community member's would fix shitty releases. That preservationist/perfectionist quality was inspiring to see. 

Not to get too personal but, was that safe harbor rule of (to paraphrase) "must not know of any infringement activity" what could've done the site in?

• Like 1

That's a damn shame that it had to happen but it's not really surprising, I expected this to happen just by reading about the situation, it's been obvious what would happen next and at least admins aren't pussies who can't admit why this stuff had to disappear unlike a lot of others (looking mostly at ROM distribution sites owners). I respect you for having enough balls to say the truth without spelling bullshit to cover assess of copyright owners.

That said, I could be careless about anime, it's not an issue for me to get it. Now if I want to get old western shows in the best possible quality I have no idea where to go, that especially includes DVDs because majority of DVD rips are shit quality and I prefer to get original source. Not only owners themselves don't bother to distribute those cartoons in my country, some of it is so old they don't distribute it anywhere else, even in US while sitting on this stuff because they're greedy fuckers. The only thing I regret is that I learned about how good western cartoons were too late, if only I learned English earlier. Worse even is that I wasn't able to archive some of the things I planned to get my hands onto.

Well, I guess we'll see where things will go, hopefully there will be changes, maybe in a different form.

Well, it's a damn shame about the content, but I'm glad that (from the looks of it) the staff came out mostly ok. Also, getting the community up and running again instead of giving up takes some dedication, thanks!

As for the indicated changes, I remain sceptical. The does not appear to be a shortage of posts, quite the contrary (of course that might just be a consequence of being down for so long). What is lacking, though, is the interaction of users with each other. A large portion of the post does not engage with what has previously been said at all. It's more or less someone throwing out their 1 or 2 lines instead of a discussion. Rather than encouraging more posting, I would love to see some incentives for engaging with previous posts, and general post quality.

That's just an idea and the wish of a still fairly new member. I'm sure you have enough on your plate for now, so take it slow. Also, the idea of downgrading the Server if page load drops is fine, I think. But I always appreciated how friggin' fast this page is. There are not a lot of other websites that run so fast that unread posts are displayed almost instantly.

Btw: This used to be CartoonWorld? Holy cow, that never occurred to me. I used to download stuff from C-W's IRC channel. I just found it by chance one day, without coming across this community. Well, the internet is a village, after all.

Edited by blubbso
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 10:16 AM, EmptyBasket said:

Glad the boys are safe. Much love and respect. I'll miss how community member's would fix shitty releases. That preservationist/perfectionist quality was inspiring to see. 

Not to get too personal but, was that safe harbor rule of (to paraphrase) "must not know of any infringement activity" what could've done the site in?

@EmptyBasket pretty much, but not really for that as it was for the fact that the site didn't actually have a "designated copyright agent" to handle DMCA claims. By default that means they go straight to the host company which, along with what you said, means safe harbor protections go right out the window. We knew we were in the right for the most part, but, there wasn't a way to really defend ourselves as we were, not on such short notice anyway. As Koby stated previously, they had already initiated court action against him. Our hand was forced.

Here's also why jumping server hosts wouldn't have done any good, aside from being short-notice. Sure, a server can physically exist in a country where DMCA laws are pretty much flat out ignored. But that just protects the *SERVER*. It doesn't protect the person operating it. And copyright enforcement agencies know this well. That's why they will use other means for enforcement. Such as, for example, compelling a host company to give up info on the customer. Or, perhaps, compelling a domain registry for the owner's information, even if protected by privacy controls. Or, attempting to trace back transactions for either the server, domain, or both. Even seizing control of the domain (like in the case of the original Megaupload, for example). There are many, many ways enforcement agencies can accomplish their task. So no, going offshore wouldn't have done any good, and being on such short notice, would not have been worth the cost or effort, not with what we have to pay already to operate the site and forums.

We already realized we'd lose some people over our decision, but we make this decision in the best interest of the users of this community. Nothing matters more to us than all of you. Nothing at all. But remember what a forum is intended for - it's meant for discussion. Always has been. Kametsu's origins are rooted in this very notion, in fact. And we have every intention to maintain that aspect. Yes, it sucks Kametsu can't offer downloads...but if all someone was doing was joining for downloads, you have to ask - were they ever going to really participate in the community? Were they ever really going to mingle with other like-minded users, discussing whatever comes to their mind, like a forum was intended to be?

Ask yourself this - what is a forum for?

If you say "for the discussions and the community", that's awesome and you understand what we're aiming for here. You understand that a forum is intended to be a place for like-minded individuals to gather and hold discussions based on their hobbies and interests, to develop new friendships, and just be social!

If you say "for downloads", then you've entirely missed the mark on what forums are intended to be used for. The problem was too obvious really - the existence of downloads severely impacted overall forum participation, and caused other issues as well (like the spam Koby mentioned, which actually itself drove away regularly contributing members). It was only a matter of time before Koby starts to consider whether or not the cost to operate was justified.

So if you're truly here to embody what a forum website is all about...then we're glad you're still around and we look forward to many more years to come! If all you cared for was downloads, we only ask that you join us in full-on participation in the community and enjoy the future projects we have to offer you! All in all just bear with us.

• Like 3

On 1/25/2019 at 6:50 PM, Koby said:

Kametsu turns 15 this year, and I'd love to see it reach 20 years old five years from now and we're doing what we can to keep the community going.

It's truly unfortunate to see sites and forums alike getting butchered like this. Still, in the end, I'm glad that you guys kept at least something.

While I'm not much of a forum person anymore, some threads here were useful over time, for which I'm thankful.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Deth93 said:

It's truly unfortunate to see sites and forums alike getting butchered like this. Still, in the end, I'm glad that you guys kept at least something.

While I'm not much of a forum person anymore, some threads here were useful over time, for which I'm thankful.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

By all means though, participate. And don't forget about IRC and Discord. We still have both! Even if you're not much a forum person, if you feel more comfortable on IRC and/or Discord (especially IRC, hint hint) then by all means use 'em!

Welcome back. I'll admit... I did visit the DL area more than others, but it was (and still will be) fun to read anime comments  and opinions, as well as, vote on a Season's best anime. Once and a while I'd stick my two cents in, which I will continue to do.

I, too, started with Cartoon World.... age is just a number. 😋   

• Like 1

As I was re-reading this I noticed the "custom user style" on posts ,,,not such a good idea tend to break the CSS on the topic threads ,,posts,,,,and they tend to also make page loading very very slow/laggy....but if applied as a set option of choices...like choosing a font,,there are only X to choose,,a BG colour choice could work in a way ,,,but as I said anything other than a vanilla page loading will make things slower and put more load on the server.....

4 hours ago, Neko-fish said:

As I was re-reading this I noticed the "custom user style" on posts ,,,not such a good idea tend to break the CSS on the topic threads ,,posts,,,,and they tend to also make page loading very very slow/laggy....but if applied as a set option of choices...like choosing a font,,there are only X to choose,,a BG colour choice could work in a way ,,,but as I said anything other than a vanilla page loading will make things slower and put more load on the server.....

Did I say on posts? I think I was referring to username color, but yeah I can make certain groups have a specifically different background color for posts to emphasis them; however that might be something rolled out for the highest-tier usergroup when they're completely revamped, and it'd just be a set color across all members in the group, not adjustable most likely. I'll have to look into it more first of course, it may not be implemented at all as we're just tossing out ideas and seeing how well they're liked as we move forward.

• Thanks 1