Status Quo

Koby

I see a lot of misunderstanding here so let me try to clear this up, mainly to clarify some things that @Scyrous brought up previously.

First and foremost is this - yes, initially, we wanted to start out with a clean environment, at least while we built up the rest of the site. You have to realize the first and foremost focus was getting the forums back up and going again. Which we did, and we're working on the little things now.

But really, if I had to be completely honest, with the ultimate goal of getting the site going again accomplished...I don't see a need to completely stifle all talk of piracy. Piracy in of itself is a perfectly fine discussion topic so long as people aren't actually linking to pirated content. Things like the A/V section for example I saw as beneficial (much like @Catar did), and as people like Scyrous like to do, they like to discuss their projects and such and I do not see any problem with any of this. The key thing from all of it is that pirated content can't be linked to anywhere on the site. Discussion topics surrounding it should be fine.

So @Koby perhaps now we should reconsider site policies towards these things and loosen up a bit. The worst is behind, I don't really think being this strict about it is necessary anymore so long as we keep actual linkage to pirated content off the site.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IkarosBD said:

Things like the A/V section for example I saw as beneficial (much like @Catar did), and as people like Scyrous like to do, they like to discuss their projects and such and I do not see any problem with any of this. The key thing from all of it is that pirated content can't be linked to anywhere on the site. Discussion topics surrounding it should be fine.

I really like this idea of having project threads where they can be discussed but not linked to. That's how a site like originaltrilogy . com has survived for so long.

I'm not gonna lie, I've been here since C-W, just for downloads. But C-W and Kametse gave me the opportunity to watch a lot of old cartoons and anime. And for that, I'm really grateful.

Glad that the site is still alive.

On 1/29/2019 at 11:25 AM, Moppet said:

Well it's time to remove a certain bookmark.😩

So long and thanks for all the rips.

Keeping it won't hurt you.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sad to see what happened, but not going to blame the mods or anything. They're doing this for free and shouldn't have to sacrifice themselves just so others can get free stuff.

But I do have one request. I don't know if already been mentioned, but releasing an archive of the Downloads section as a giant file would be immensely helpful. If @Kobystill has that content lying around somewhere on the server, then maybe packaging it up into a torrent, so the links can be salvaged, would help ease the transition. There were a lot of links going back years which are still alive.

Edited by afan101

2 minutes ago, afan101 said:

Pretty sad to see what happened, but not going to blame the mods or anything. They're doing this for free and shouldn't have to sacrifice themselves just so others can get free stuff.

But I do have one request. I don't know if already been mentioned, but releasing an archive of the Downloads section as a giant file would be immensely helpful. If @Kobystill has that content lying around somewhere on the server, then maybe packaging it up into a torrent, so the links can be salvaged, would help ease the transition. There were a lot of links going back years which are still alive.

that would be very illegal and completely negate everything we've done <.<

The download sections have been removed entirely.

17 hours ago, LeonVIII said:

Is it out of the question to make a "Projects" section to keep tabs on an individuals progress (without linking to downloads of course)? So many projects i would love to follow up on

@LeonVIII Koby and I were considering easing up on discussion restrictions, in fact. The key thing really is just keeping to our "no facilitating downloads" rule that we had to implement. Some of our own staff made the same suggestion internally, and we can see the benefit of doing so, so we think that the rest of the restrictions we set after the DMCA incident can go. We'll announce something when this is decided 100% for sure but for now that's where we're leaning.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StardustNightwind said:

Hello, I just came here from Nyaa. Can someone please tell me what is going on?

I think the topic more than details what happened; any further explanation would just be repeating what has been said. Kametsu removed all downloads and is hence forth a legitimate community for discussions, game giveaways, reviews, news, etc.. by like-minded fans. No piracy or links to piracy.

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2019 at 9:51 PM, IkarosBD said:

@LeonVIII Koby and I were considering easing up on discussion restrictions, in fact. The key thing really is just keeping to our "no facilitating downloads" rule that we had to implement. Some of our own staff made the same suggestion internally, and we can see the benefit of doing so, so we think that the rest of the restrictions we set after the DMCA incident can go. We'll announce something when this is decided 100% for sure but for now that's where we're leaning.

i look forward to hearing an announcement/update!

Edited by LeonVIII
  • Like 1

Oh wow I missed out on all the drama!

First thanks for all the effort you; Koby, the staff & the community, put in over the years to make it the place it was and to keep it going after. It would feel a bit bad not to say thanks and goodbye/welcome back to all the people that provided and made the content that we all enjoyed. I can say for sure that without this community I wouldn't have seen half the amount of anime I have, simply because I didn't know about it & even if I did I would struggle to find it in physical or stream format. 

This was always going to be an outcome, it was only a matter of time and always will be for any community that dabbles in these things. I'm glad you made the right decision and avoided any legal action and were so transparent about the situation. I think it's disappointing that some people feel the way they do and post about it. Considering this wasn't a paid service but a bunch of hobbyist who did this in their spare time for others whether it be encoding, muxing, subbing or uploading, Thank You!

p.s

I look forward to the new plans, as an information source on releases I think it would be hard to beat.

Edited by Vaux
  • Like 1

@Vaux I completely agree with all of that. This puts us in a good position to do so much more for people. Heck, if interest is high enough, we might actually give away physical copies of anime in events we might hold, say a tournament we might hold in an online game for example. Our position now might actually allow us to work out such deals with production companies like Funimation at some point down the line. But even if such deals never materialize, we would still quite easily be able to run these contests for you from our own pockets. Heck, we might even also give away gift subscriptions to streaming services like VRV, FunimationNow, etc as prizes.

You get my point. One door closes. Another opens to potentially more possibilities.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, IkarosBD said:

@Vaux I completely agree with all of that. This puts us in a good position to do so much more for people. Heck, if interest is high enough, we might actually give away physical copies of anime in events we might hold, say a tournament we might hold in an online game for example. Our position now might actually allow us to work out such deals with production companies like Funimation at some point down the line. But even if such deals never materialize, we would still quite easily be able to run these contests for you from our own pockets. Heck, we might even also give away gift subscriptions to streaming services like VRV, FunimationNow, etc as prizes.

You get my point. One door closes. Another opens to potentially more possibilities.

The sheer amount of positivity you guys display to date is what makes me stay strongly by your sides! I loved this forum then and I love this forum now. Even if the downloads section was removed, I just cannot help keep visiting regularly just to check in on the news posts Koby posts or maybe to help someone out in the Tech centre. This forums feels to me like no forum ever did. I am at a stage now that I do not need a "reason" to visit Kametsu, I just keep coming back to it. 

EDIT: Also, DAMN this forum software is slick and fast af. Particularly the "Subway" theme for me.

Edited by dealvidit
fangasm

On 3/20/2019 at 3:06 PM, dealvidit said:

EDIT: Also, DAMN this forum software is slick and fast af. Particularly the "Subway" theme for me.

@dealvidit are you sure it's also not the fact that I'm operating it on a much quicker server (mine!), or that my server administration skills played a part in it? :P LOL

I mean ever since we migrated the site over here, it pretty much gave the site access to vastly more resources than it previously had available on its older server, namely because virtually nothing else runs on this server to consume its resource - like literally there's only one other low-end process running on this server and that's it. Other processes on the other server were consistently consuming resources and while for the most part that didn't hurt the site's performance too terribly much, it still had a noticeable negative impact. Mind you it's not the reason we migrated though, the reasoning there was more or less the fact that Koby didn't feel like we needed to be paying for server resources we're hardly using, and me (being my generous self) graciously stepped in and offered to host free of charge.

All that aside though I'm very happy to see there are those that remain loyal to the community. They recognize the fact that, first and foremost, that is precisely what Kametsu is, what it started as, and what it will always continue to be. Thank you so much!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2019 at 1:58 PM, Rboy40 said:

I came for a reason and loved this site because it was well organized and I could keep track of dual audio releases,   The section I found so valuable and loved so much is of course gone.   Hard to talk about this subject because the moderators are uber sensitive to discussions on this subject.   The owner did what he/she had to do to protect him or herself.  Nice to see an effort to return but how I hate the copyright police,   They destroyed a great resource.

So true yet so sad :(

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SwiftNimblefoot said:

THis is weird. Even though all downloads have been removed I am still getting asked by people about my old uploaded topics, as if they can still see them - even though I cannot find them as they are removed. Huh.

People don't bother reading the news board and always hounding me via email about why they can't view it either.

No one has access to it though, the boards have been fully removed at this point. I don't even have a backup of the database prior to the deletion.

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh, this all explains my bookmarks... that I've not checked for xx amount of months...

I was also an old C-W visitor from back in 2011, that site taught me all about encoding, what an MKV was, x264 (and of course x265) etc, but of course I was there for the downloads. I was unemployed at the time it was a treat to chill out away from the stresses of the real world which is something that anime is quite unique at doing compared to other forms of entertainment.

Many thanks for all the great content over the past 8 years or so.,.. looks like I'll just have to hang around mumbling about 'ow things arent wut they used to be....

Cheers!