Free Windows 10 upgrade for EVERYONE (literally)

Bardon

Kitw4JVAM5Pb.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Microsoft has announced that its next operating system will be offered as a free upgrade to owners of devices running Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Phone.

http://www.pcgamer.com/windows-10-upgrade-free-for-owners-of-windows-7-and-81/

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30924022

The only catch? Not yet fully briefed, but it will be available as a freebie to everyone throughout its first year. And as title says in brackets, no this obviously doesn't include XP and vista users.

~Thoughts?

Edited by Bardon

• 1 month later...

Ya know how Windows 10 was announced to be a freebie for windows 7/8.1 users right?

..............Well to put more emphasis on it, M$ just stated that it'll be giving away that freebie to even PIRATED USERS!  o_____O

Anybody who has a windows 7 or 8.1 REGARDLESS of being legit or not, will be getting a full fledged Windows 10 upgrade with all the updates, features etc.

And no, we won't be the first ones to find this move to be supremely fishy because thats what the whole interwebz thinks too:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/18/windows-10-upgrade-free-to-pirated-windows-users

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/03/the-windows-10-free-upgrade-for-pirates-more-confusing-than-it-seems/

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/windows-10-upgrades-will-free-even-pirates-no-joke/

743.gif

• Like 1

I'm actually looking forward to this a lot. From what I've seen, Windows 10 takes a few much needed steps back towards where things need to be for those without a touch screen. I'm using Windows 8.1 at the moment and it's honestly not bad at all once you get used to it, but I am looking forward to having something closer to the old start menu back without using external applications like Classic Shell. I just hope they won't screw me out of my Media Center upgrade... so long as I get to keep Media Center which I paid extra for, I will definitely be taking this offer.

I just hope they won't screw me out of my Media Center upgrade... so long as I get to keep Media Center which I paid extra for, I will definitely be taking this offer.

I'm actually surprised that is still a thing these days, thought it died out a while back. o.O

But yeah there is a chance because the "Technical Preview" showed it under additional features, except it also changes the name of the preview from Win 10 into 8.1 pro when using the thing. It requires you inputting your Media Center key which unlocks that feature.

wait umm for the first year ?

Basically saying they're giving you a whole year to grab it for a free lifetime license.

• Like 1

I have Vista and am in desperate need of new computer or OS.

Guess I'm SOL.

:hguit5:

Download a pirated version and upgrade to legal Windows 10? 

That won't solve the internet and download speed issues I've been having on my Vista desktop lately that I can't seem to fix.

I was unaware you were having those specific problems. But yes, if those are ISP specific problems, then updating won't help, but I would still change from Vista ;)

Guess I'm SOL.

That won't solve the internet and download speed issues I've been having on my Vista desktop lately that I can't seem to fix.

I was unaware you were having those specific problems. But yes, if those are ISP specific problems, then updating won't help, but I would still change from Vista ;)

I don't think it's ISP related. It doesn't seem to occur on my Windows 7 laptop.

I don't think it's ISP related. It doesn't seem to occur on my Windows 7 laptop.

So then surely these 2 are related and that changing/upgrading your OS will solve those problems? Especially if it's not happening on another computer using the same ISP. Hence my suggestion about going up to Windows 10 :)

Guess I'm SOL.

Actually no, 

When i first heard this i thought the same thing too and was pretty intrigued yet alas M$ worded their responses and their classic between the lines wording pretty well.

Basically it will allow you to upgrade from previous supported versions to W10 without the need for registration and authentication, basically like running in a sort of 'offline mode' severely limiting functions as most of the noticeable benefits will be going account based such to the same way Windows 8 operates.

So basically... Yes you can upgrade for free but you will still need to purchase a license in order to use full functions and non genuine will have a large amount of security vulnerabilities due to no M$ support.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/456817/scitech/technology/microsoft-to-make-windows-10-upgrade-free-but-not-with-pirated-copy

Also on a side note for gamers out there, accessing stuff like market places, app store and some games / functions will only be available for licensed users.

Bit of a kick in the nads but give those heroic pirates time before they develop a decent patch ;)

Windows 10 is still too new and in the works. I'm not going to install it and change my computer until I see its stable and its being marketed on new computers.

Expect a lot of things that did work to not work after the upgrade. Especially certain games and software's. I wouldn't be surprised if it hurts drivers as well and certain hardware's stop working because they don't have a driver made for Windows 10 yet. You take a risk of those things happening.

If you have an extra computer lying around and or want to try it then I say go for it. But I refuse to screw myself over with it on any of my frequently used computers at this point in time.

• Like 1

@SakuraChan, change = bad /s. Everybody hated Windows 8 purely for the fact that it changed. The operating system itself was great, better than Windows 7, but some idiots seemed to think that a different start menu ruined it all. Now we have Windows 10 which apparently will be a cross between the two with a tiled start menu. I'm putting money on the new start menu being the centre of bitching again.

Besides that, I'm not following Windows 10 until it reaches RTM.

@SakuraChan, change = bad /s. Everybody hated Windows 8 purely for the fact that it changed. The operating system itself was great, better than Windows 7, but some idiots seemed to think that a different start menu ruined it all. Now we have Windows 10 which apparently will be a cross between the two with a tiled start menu. I'm putting money on the new start menu being the centre of bitching again.

Besides that, I'm not following Windows 10 until it reaches RTM.

Well let me ask you, how would YOU feel if your room suddenly required going through a literal maze of tiles to find anything that you need? Only positive change is the change which improves. The tiles alone, were NOT.

Windows 8 was basically M$'s rushed (and failed) attempt in converting their OS to be universal for all devices, not just PCs. This resulted in something that had so many problems with incompatibility and accessibility that some peeps called it the new Vista.

Sacrificing an elaborate ease of access for a "simplified look" is no way in hell the right way to do it. Choice is always a plus. Its a trade basic in delivering a product with experimental upgrades. M$ understood and rectified this with their 8.1 version and most of the hating pretty much subsided afterwards.

As far as Windows 10 goes, this seems to have it all. Easy to use, same number of functions like before, more features being added and apparently they're gonna try again with making it the single OS to run in PCs, mobiles and tablets. After the number of years that went since 8's fiasco, this time I feel like it won't be a disappointing mess but nonetheless we'll see.

This resulted in something that had so many problems with incompatibility and accessibility that some peeps called it the new Vista.

Please elaborate. What sort of problems were people having? Were they related in any way to the new start menu?

Choice is always a plus. Its a trade basic in delivering a product with experimental upgrades. M$ understood and rectified this with their 8.1 version and most of the hating pretty much subsided afterwards.

You always have a choice. By the time Windows 8 went RTM, there were already programs to bring back the classic start menu. How is this not a choice?

How did Windows 8.1 improve Windows 8? A start menu button? That is literally the only change worth mentioning in this case.