Free Windows 10 upgrade for EVERYONE (literally)

Bardon

My personal opinion is that Windows 8's biggest problems weren't with the OS itself. It was simply released to people who weren't ready for it. A huge amount of change in the user interface resulted in a nasty reaction by many with little regard to their experience level with Windows and technology in general. Drivers weren't yet stable and most people were completely satisfied with Windows 7, but Microsoft seemed to have other plans, aiming to make universal operating system that would bridge the gaps between mobile devices and desktops and made changes that few actually appreciated.

Windows 8.1's biggest advantage was not anything that Windows 8.1 itself had to offer. Instead, Windows 8.1 was more widely accepted because time had passed. People had begun to adapt to the use of the start screen, and small things that made the OS feel once again familiar to those who had treasured Windows 7 were introduced. Reviewers became more accepting of the OS because even though little had changed, the small familiar elements such as the start button, and minor changes in ease of use made them more comfortable. As more and more members of online communities including reviewers and "techies" began to accept it and more and more new PCs shipped with it, others began to stop resisting Windows 8 and adapted. Over time, we received a pseudo-start button that made the OS feel a bit more comfortable, reintroduction of a power menu into the start screen, and drivers that were more stable and compatible with Windows by the time 8.1 was released mellowed out some of the initial hatred of Windows 8 and 8.1 became standard for a wide variety of PC users and gained a much higher level of acceptance.

Perhaps my opinion on this matter has no merit for anyone but myself, but I perceive these reasons as a big part of my eventual adaptation of Windows 8 and 8.1 and many of my friends agree.

• 4 weeks later...

Question, will Windows 10 play all if not most Windows 7 and XP software and games?

I want to know before I even atempt getting that OS.

I think thats a safe bet... If it doesn't, I assume Windows 10 comes with the option to run in compatibility mode where you could choose Windows 7 or XP.

One limitation would be that say if you game/software was designed to be used with DirectX 10/11 then it wont be able to make use of Directx 12 thats available on Windows 10.

• 1 month later...

http://www.maximumpc.com/how-to-get-windows-10-for-free/

MS has just announced that now literally EVERYONE can get a free Windows 10 upgrade.

This method involves downloading the technical preview on their site and then once the release date arrives, it will automatically be converted into a full fledged version. Meaning it doesn't matter anymore whether or not you're on XP, using a pirated version or not being a Windows user at all.

And here I thought just having the free upgrade itself was too good to be true.... :shocked:

What about those of us who need Enterprise/Pro features? I know the Enterprise version will require a VL, but can we get the Pro version just by installing the technical preview now?

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

Yes.

-You must sign up for the Insider Program with a valid windows email (outlook / hotmail / etc)

-Download and install the Insider Preview NOW on a compatible computer.

-Use the same windows email you registered with as your Windows Login ID.

-Then around the end of next month, when its officially released, your preview version will become a RC (release candidate) full version for free.

At least that is how its supposed to work.

OR

Of course anyone with a VALID + LEGAL version of Windows 7 or 8 installed can also upgrade to windows 10 for free within 1 year of its release date.

Not sure if any of this applies to the Enterprise version or not.

Edited by slick1109

http://www.maximumpc.com/microsoft_puts_windows_media_center_out_pasture289

Sad news, Windows Media Center is no more...

(at least for Windows 10)

>______>

they're actually providinga similar software in windows 10

Anyone else reserved their copy of Windows 10? 

Did it on my laptop not so long ago... dont mind sacrificing that machine...

my desktop and two of my laptops

Over the past few days MS has been pumping out lots of information about who is getting a free version and their wording has 'implied' but not 'confirmed' many things.

Confirmed is that win7/8 users get a free upgrade (pending current version), but the 'insider' version has many catches. You still get the release build at the end of July(?) with everyone else BUT the updates you get on the insider version are pre-release updates (not tested outside of a sandbox / beta updates).

So essentially you will remain a beta user with minimal to no support from MS as its an unsupported version / test version.

Now this isnt nescisarily a bad thing. I am a rather large computer nerd to running a beta version doesnt really phase me too much as i generally patch windows myself to optimize it for my use. (which is what the insider version is designed for)

Check out a few source links here which have some useful information and just remember over the next few weeks there are going to be LOADS of rumors being pumped around, always check for source links and validation before getting too pumped up... i know its a shame but there are loads or trolls in the world who just want to watch it burn...

https://insider.windows.com/

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2015/06/21/microsoft-windows-10-bombshell-its-free-for-everyone/

Myself, i will be looking at migrating to a legit (lol) version depending how Win10 handles my workload and pricing. Will it be cheaper to buy a Win7 key and free upgrade to Win10 or will Win10 be cheaper off the bat? who knows lol

Edited by Cesario

Oh, so it's an RC build... Yeah that sounds dumb. I'll wait for RTM and then grab it from MDL.

i generally patch windows myself to optimize it for my use. (which is what the insider version is designed for)

How does one patch closed source software?

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

I probably didn't phrase it accurately. I still have the base OS but I build my own security updates and patches based off oem releases in csharp and hex to tailor the patches to my needs, very similar to repacking I guess, just a bit more involved

Oh, so it's an RC build... Yeah that sounds dumb. I'll wait for RTM and then grab it from MDL.

Actually, they put out new statements every day about this confusing people more and more.  Yesterday I thought it was going to be a RTM, but now they said it will be updated preview builds which you will have to manually install every few months or so as they come out with newer versions.  But who really knows for sure.  Honestly, i dont think they even themselves.  They need to get their $hit together.