Windows 7 or Windows 10?

DRX

In this day and age, I'd have to give my vote to Windows 7.

Yes, the only way some games will work for PC is if you have Windows 10 and download directly from them. To this, it limits the amount of modding that can be done to games as the files become encrypted to a point which would make some games to mod a bit of a hassle to make them viable to play. If it were not for the fact that some programs have to be side installed to have basic use, such as a DVD viewer, then Win10 would be fine aside from the tracking you all the time and forced updates.

Sure, you could use some apps that force stuff from sending out the data that track you and force-disable the updates from happening, but then you tend to break other stuff like the Windows App store and some apps become unresponsive.

Nah Microsoft, even if you gave everyone a key to Win10 so that everyone can be in an "exclusive" environment to keep it all going, all the drivers getting messed up for certain devices and having a CPU/Browser requirement for 4K Netflix isn't worth my time.

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever you may think of the poll question, the simple fact of the matter is that Windows 7 (and 8/8.1 too) are rapidly starting to lose hardware support, in no small part due to significant pressure from Microsoft on the manufacturers.

Not much fun using an OS without proper drivers for your hardware, even if you consider that OS to be better in itself.

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, tomnook123 said:

Windows 8 was pretty good but I like the start menu changes in Windows 10 and it works better with multiple monitors.

I can't stand Win 10's default interface. It's utter garbage. I also scorn the genius that took out the Favorites bar to replace it with Quick Access. LUCKILY, Winaero Tweaker is a workaround to that shortcoming. Also, Classic Shell allows users to get the Win 8 start menu back.

Edited by Inverti

5 minutes ago, Inverti said:

I can't stand Win 10's default interface. It's utter garbage. I also scorn the genius that took out the Favorites bar to replace it with Quick Access. LUCKILY, Winaero Tweaker is a workaround to that shortcoming. Also, Classic Shell allows users to get the Win 8 start menu back.

I actually like the Windows 10 start menu. It's a nice combination of old and new. Admittedly there are some UI issues but most can, as you said, be alleviated with scripts or third party programs.

• 5 months later...

Honestly, this is another one of the situations where there are no real right answers as it is personal preference and it's pretty much wrong for people to treat others like crap over their choice because they can't accept and respect another person's opinion. Thankfully, most people I've seen on here are very nice and respectable of others. :) My personal preference however is Windows 10. While I loved Windows 7, it won't have support for long if it is even still supported meaning it will become easier and easier for hackers and malware to take advantage of it. While I don't like some things about 10 such as the forced updates, it is the new OS and the more time goes by the less stuff that will be released that will work on the older OS while being designed to work perfectly well for 10.

Edited by thedoctor2014

• 2 weeks later...

Windows 7. Windows 10 broke too many outdated/abandoned apps or made them really buggy.

On 3/14/2018 at 6:20 AM, thedoctor2014 said:

While I loved Windows 7, it won't have support for long if it is even still supported meaning it will become easier and easier for hackers and malware to take advantage of it.

Support doesn't end until 2020 though

Edited by Gin
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2018 at 12:40 PM, Gin said:

Windows 7. Windows 10 broke too many outdated/abandoned apps or made them really buggy.

Support doesn't end until 2020 though

True, extended support does go until January 14, 2020, but mainstream support ended on January 13, 2015. And since it is only a year and a half until even extended support ends, Windows 7 sadly doesn't get all updates only the security ones and with the support end date, I don't trust that they will keep up with the security patches as well as they should so I still prefer Windows 10. Still, that does give people about 1 3/4 years to keep windows 7 with hopefully up to date security patches which would be awesome for those still using it. Either way, whichever OS people want to use, I say use it since everyone needs to be happy and comfortable with what they choose. :D (I try to keep an open mind and respect everyone's choices.)

12 hours ago, DRX said:

I know I started this post, but after having to much problems to count with Windows I decided to switch to Linux.

Linux has just as many problems. You can't get a perfect OS. At least Windows is widely used and fixes to problems are a lot simpler and easier to locate.

9 hours ago, Robert_I_Love_Sta said:

Windows 7 ..... idk why but Windows 10 feels like a free to play game...

I'd think it the other way around. Windows 7 is getting minimal updates now as Microsoft is cutting support for it in 2020.