Will you be upgrading to Win 8

redsky23

Eh I really don't like the direction Microsoft is going. From what I hear you loose a lot of functionality for the sake of simplicity. If I have a desktop I want a desktop user interface and the power that comes with it, not a tablet interface.

I'm probably going to wait it out until Windows 9. Until then I'll stick with Windows 7 just like I did with XP when Vista was around.

I don't like the sound of windows 8 at all, and I have not tried it yet. I like my OS to be a user friendly tool used to control the full power of the computer. Sounds like windows 8 is going to make my computer a more closed system and let me do less than win 7.

On the plus side it may drive people towards linux :D

No incentive to upgrade immediately. For businesses, the incentive is even worse because of all the retraining that needs to go on ^^. Microsoft's really throwing everything into their surface tablet. I think Microsoft's banking on the success of the surface tablet making the transition to Windows 8 on the desktop environment easier for businesses to make. If the surface tablet succeeds and a large number of people are using it, businesses won't have as big of a need to do retraining. However, this could take years x_x.

I'll probably end up getting it when I do a new computer build since I assume Windows 7 will be difficult to get by then :P.

I'm part gamer and as far as I'm concerned, Windows 8 is still a NO-NO for my gaming tower. However, I do have a laptop that I'm using for college work. The University of Iowa offers each and every student a copy(as in, a legitimate copy) of Windows 8 Pro for free. No joke. I took advantage of the offer and installed it on my laptop.

So far the results are...mixed. On one side, the performance increase is noticeable, from boot times to loading individual programs. My laptop STILL has its original hard drive installed but it feels way faster. This will only increase further when I replace it with an SSD. It's only been a day since I've installed it so there is still a good chunk left to learn.

ON THE OTHER SIDE, and this is important, the Metro interface is...tricky. It's not hard to learn, but it will take some adjusting to it. The interface just SCREAMS touchscreen, and I only have a mouse and a keyboard. The trackpad on the laptop does allow for multitouch gestures but even that's limited. Jumping between the start screen and the desktop to launch apps can be a hassle. If you're a gamer, then STAY THE HELL AWAY for now until it "matures" a bit. There are some little bugs and of course there are incompatible programs so I say wait. For the rest, it really is up to you.

As for the Windows Store thing, it really is limited right now. Not a lot of offerings but this will increase over time.

Regarding the mouse/keyboard usage, it becomes infinitely easier once you learn the keyboard shortcuts.

This next piece might scare you a bit. I had a bad experience with the "Refresh Windows" thing in Windows 8. I had some incompatibility issues with the program Mysticthumbs. I used this program to view .psd thumbnails in Windows 7. When I upgraded, it transfered every program and file seamlessly. Unfortunately, Mysticthumbs cause a error in which the tiles in the Start Screen would be blank. Usually they are a colored square/rectangle with a logo in the center. Well, the logo was missing, leaving only a solid block. I tracked down what program caused the error and I uninstalled it. It worked, but for some reason which I will never be able to explain, I decided to "refresh" Windows 8, thinking that I could reset everything on the Start Screen to default. It didnt't do that at all. Rather, it preserved all my personal files BUT DELETED EVERY LAST ONE OF MY APPLICATIONS INCLUDING MY MOST IMPORTANT ONES: Photoshop and AutoCAD. Up to the time of this writing, I've restored Photoshop, CCCP, iTunes, and some others but I STILL have a lot left to go......so do be careful if you upgrade like I did.

Edited by Seraph

I have no need to upgrade. Once I'm used to something I don't generally like going up to a new version. I am finally used to Win 7 and I love it. Why would I want to go up? The only reason I went from XP to 7 was because I t 7 on my Nana's computer and I loved it. SO I went up just recently.

I don't have any need of the features of Windows 8. My PC already boots up in 5 to 7 seconds so boot times don't bother me and improvements if any wouldn't be noticed.

Actually it be more beneficial for you to install Windows 8 on your PC. Since you're running an Octa core AMD FX, Windows 8 actually has some performace improvements over Windows 7, especially for your Octa core. Not to mention since you use it to encode, you will notice a bit more FPS while encoding.

I don't have any need of the features of Windows 8. My PC already boots up in 5 to 7 seconds so boot times don't bother me and improvements if any wouldn't be noticed.

Actually it be more beneficial for you to install Windows 8 on your PC. Since you're running an Octa core AMD FX, Windows 8 actually has some performace improvements over Windows 7, especially for your Octa core. Not to mention since you use it to encode, you will notice a bit more FPS while encoding.

400+ fps with no filters is plenty fast. When you can encode a 40 minute video in less than a minute, a few more fps doesn't mean shit.

The price of Windows 8, and the lack of certain features from 7, while trying to dumb down the OS... makes it unwanted.

That and Windows 8 has pretty much been nicknamed Vista 2 from all the people I've heard using it...

I'd rather stick with 7 than downgrade to 8.

• Like 2

400+ fps with no filters is plenty fast. When you can encode a 40 minute video in less than a minute, a few more fps doesn't mean shit.

The price of Windows 8, and the lack of certain features from 7, while trying to dumb down the OS... makes it unwanted.

That and Windows 8 has pretty much been nicknamed Vista 2 from all the people I've heard using it...

I'd rather stick with 7 than downgrade to 8.

Alright, that's entirely upto you. I will be switching to Windows 8 soon, if I don't like the UI then I will change it to whatever I want. It is a given fact that Windows 8 is more productive since it's faster than the previous Windows. The price is really cheap if you plan on upgrading, only 40 dollars or you could buy the full retail box over here for 58 dollars and if I recall correctly the only lacking feature is the Media centre player and DVD support. But hey, that's my 2 cents on the new OS.