Will you be upgrading to Win 8

redsky23

You guys do realise you can make Windows 8, look and work exactly the same as Windows 7, right? "Classic Shell", download and install that. I am using Windows 8 and it feels exactly the same as Windows 7 with it but there is one big difference. That difference is Windows 8 is a lot faster! I can really notice the speed difference in a lot of areas. I am glad I made the switch I'll never be looking back.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys do realise you can make Windows 8, look and work exactly the same as Windows 7, right? "Classic Shell", download and install that. I am using Windows 8 and it feels exactly the same as Windows 7 with it but there is one big difference. That difference is Windows 8 is a lot faster! I can really notice the speed difference in a lot of areas. I am glad I made the switch I'll never be looking back.

The customer shouldn't have to fix the companies products. That's what free enterprise is built on. The idea that if you don't like it, don't buy it. This is what fans of Win 8 never seem to understand. It's not metro we're upset about, it's the fact that Microsoft different listen to everyone who's been complaining about metro since the developers preview. 

The debate should be fairly moot soon, because they're changing it yet again. This time it seems like they are finally listening. 

I've looked at the windows 8. An in my humble opinion its great with the Surface. It's a great software if your looking to integrate a social media feel into a work/school friendly environment. the productivity is good  and the layout is nice but again for the Surface it's best becuz of hardware/software integration. Would i up grade probably not since i kinda like my start menu the way it is i dont have to switch to an entire screen to do so. And the wallpaper is mean to be seen not hidden. Those are my peeves and becuz i've learned alot about win7 and still learning that i just cant simply switch yet. Another thing is that i like how win 7 is built upon xp. So i'll wait when they make a no-touch screen desktop version of win8.

Well my pc is running windows Vista and i`m happy with it even though it is a sluggish OS and thats why they brought 7 out but i`m going to avoid 8 if i can i just dont like it because my brother has it on his laptop which to be honest like XP where microsoft pulled the plug on it so theres no more updates i guess i`ll have to get Windows 8 eventually but by then windows 10 might be out lol

The customer shouldn't have to fix the companies products. That's what free enterprise is built on. The idea that if you don't like it, don't buy it. This is what fans of Win 8 never seem to understand. It's not metro we're upset about, it's the fact that Microsoft different listen to everyone who's been complaining about metro since the developers preview. 

The debate should be fairly moot soon, because they're changing it yet again. This time it seems like they are finally listening. 

I believe it's classed as personalising. I do it with every OS, hell, I have an installation script for Ubuntu which rips out the shitty Unity interface and brings back the classic look.

In Win 8's position I install Start8 (well worth the £3) and that's pretty much it. Give it some colours and change the wallpaper and I'm good.

I believe it's classed as personalising. I do it with every OS, hell, I have an installation script for Ubuntu which rips out the shitty Unity interface and brings back the classic look.

In Win 8's position I install Start8 (well worth the £3) and that's pretty much it. Give it some colours and change the wallpaper and I'm good.

Then you and I have a different definition of personalize. To me, personalizing would be changing the color scheme, location of the taskbar, or anything else that doesn't involve installing something. It also shouldn't use anymore system resources than the default system would. What you and every other win 8 user are doing is modification. You're changing the way the system operates in a way that causes it to do more work than it would in it's default settings.

Win 8.1 and this newer update would of never happened if everyone just did what you and people like you are telling them to do. Microsoft doesn't care about making the best OS possible, they just want to sell the most licenses. It's up to us, the consumer, to ensure they continue to improve the OS in both performance and usability. 

I'm not trying to start yet another argument, but the install this and edit that is getting old. It doesn't get us to where we all want to be, which is win 8 performance with win 7 usability.

As for ubuntu, I would just install a distro that doesn't come with unity for the same reasons I listed above.

Well I just did a reinstall to 8.1, not the most pleasant upgrade but it def taking some time getting use to. I have noticed that it does operate way differently from 7 and earlier. Although the new start menu does take time to get use to and well hangs here and there occasionally. But overall its not a bad after you learn the ends and outs of it. One thing I have noticed is there are some driver update issues, but it does provide a compatibility layer for older drivers for the kernel. Not saying this is a good thing, but its something rather than nothing. I still do have some unknowns for drivers that 8.1 can't support but it operates without a hitch.

Also, I do utilize StartisBack to bring back the old start menu as well, which is relativity cheap.

Well I just did a reinstall to 8.1, not the most pleasant upgrade but it def taking some time getting use to. I have noticed that it does operate way differently from 7 and earlier. Although the new start menu does take time to get use to and well hangs here and there occasionally. But overall its not a bad after you learn the ends and outs of it. One thing I have noticed is there are some driver update issues, but it does provide a compatibility layer for older drivers for the kernel. Not saying this is a good thing, but its something rather than nothing. I still do have some unknowns for drivers that 8.1 can't support but it operates without a hitch.

Also, I do utilize StartisBack to bring back the old start menu as well, which is relativity cheap.

Does 8.1 allow you to print photo's and other stuff without having to dig into the charmbar. What my mother has right know opens all pictures into a fullscreen view regardless of where you opened it from. Since it's in fullscreen mode you have no toolbar or shortcuts to easily print.

Does 8.1 allow you to print photo's and other stuff without having to dig into the charmbar. What my mother has right know opens all pictures into a fullscreen view regardless of where you opened it from. Since it's in fullscreen mode you have no toolbar or shortcuts to easily print.

Well yes and no, by default if you double click on the picture it does go to the fullscreen app. I havn't tweaked it just yet to utilize another default program. But if you right click on it, and utilize the preview option it brings up the older window based preview pane on the desktop.

Currently still messing around with it, but should be able to change the default program to open up what extension via control panel/default programs and click the associate by file type and be able to change it if that helps.