Will you be upgrading to Win 8

redsky23

Well yes and no, by default if you double click on the picture it does go to the fullscreen app. I havn't tweaked it just yet to utilize another default program. But if you right click on it, and utilize the preview option it brings up the older window based preview pane on the desktop.

Currently still messing around with it, but should be able to change the default program to open up what extension via control panel/default programs and click the associate by file type and be able to change it if that helps.

There's no way I'd be able to teach her to use the right click menu. I'm having a hard enough time just trying to get her to understand when she needs to use which button, and why some things need one click while others need two. 

I'll try changing the default the next time I get my hands on it, thanks for the tip.

I tried Win8 on my new DESKTOP pc, but ended up reverting back to Win7.  I really liked the Metro Apps. but that is about all i liked.  I know the OS is supposed to be more secure and have build in security, but I felt UNSECURE using it.  All those Metro apps that i liked felt like they could connect to the internet anytime they liked, and I felt like the whole OS was constantly connected online to "who knows what".  A lot of the Antivirus/Firewall companies had not perfected their software for Win8 yet, and I am an Advanced user that likes to be in Complete Control of the system I am using.  Win8 made it seem like IT wanted to be in control, and with all the news about govt spying these days, I just plain did NOT trust it.  Half the time I do not trust Win7 either, but I feel more in contol of it than I did Win8.  The only OS I really felt safe on and that I could control 100% is WinXP, but its now getting too outdated to use.

Perhaps if I kept EVERYTHING on a secondary ENCRYPTED Hard Drive and literlly pulled the Ethernet Cable out of my Desktop before ever accessing it, THEN I might feel a littler safer on Win8 ...... but thats just crazy!  lol

Edited by slick1109
  • Like 1

Since this thread is just post bait, I guess I'll bite. There are so many complaints on so many forums about 8/8.1. I tried to keep an open mind about it, but it has too many issues which impact my workflow. The one that sticks out to me is M$ saying that the boot is "so fast," users can no longer press F8 to interrupt it. If you need to access safe mode, you seem to have to schedule it ahead of time LOL. How many users know that their OS will BSOD on next reboot?

I built a new computer in august of last year an i installed windows 7 i beta tested 8 and 8.1 by default i hate that you have to do so much to get it to shut down or even find stuff that now takes 8 clicks instead of 2 or 3 for certain tasks like in windows 7. I've got classic shell installed on my moms new computer just to get half way usable for us she actually likes how its a mix of new and old now. I will have to look into the settings about using the old preview later. I'll talk to my mom about it she uses the new full screen app to rotate her cross stitch patterns. When the 8.1 update 1 releases ill play with it. I've heard win9 may be back to windows 7 look but you know how rumors are. I build pc's for people and i ask them win 7 or 8/8.1 I then ask about classic shell. I worked on a older gentleman's computer last week and told him about classic shell. He then told to install it and he loves it as it makes it functional for him again as he is use to windows xp and it makes much more sense to him now. My thing is i think the install should ask whether on you want the old look or the new look for people for me mix it so i can get some what use to it maybe.

Edited by ljonesj

I built a new computer in august of last year an i installed windows 7 i beta tested 8 and 8.1 by default i hate that you have to do so much to get it to shut down or even find stuff that now takes 8 clicks instead of 2 or 3 for certain tasks like in windows 7. I've got classic shell installed on my moms new computer just to get half way usable for us she actually likes how its a mix of new and old now. I will have to look into the settings about using the old preview later. I'll talk to my mom about it she uses the new full screen app to rotate her cross stitch patterns. When the 8.1 update 1 releases ill play with it. I've heard win9 may be back to windows 7 look but you know how rumors are. I build pc's for people and i ask them win 7 or 8/8.1 I then ask about classic shell. I worked on a older gentleman's computer last week and told him about classic shell. He then told to install it and he loves it as it makes it functional for him again as he is use to windows xp and it makes much more sense to him now. My thing is i think the install should ask whether on you want the old look or the new look for people for me mix it so i can get some what use to it maybe.

I can confirm that changing the default app for images does work. It was the same process you'd use to change it in windows 7.

I just hope both apps are the same program using different interfaces, but it's probably just unnecessary bloat. 

No Windows 8 for me!

If I wanted a tablet I'd buy one. I have a custom build PC that was built to suit me - the end-user.

Now days technology seems to only offer 'eye candy' to the end-user, while making all decisions pertaining to functionality for the consumer.

Windows XP was the best at being customized for individual preferences, worked and played well with third-party applications, and has yet to be beaten (IMO).

Windows 7 is just Windows Vista with the kinks ironed out. Maybe a product of XP and Vista combined?

Well, anyway, my next OS (after Windows 7) will be Linux-based. Maybe by that time software developers will create comparable apps for Linux systems.