Will you be upgrading to Win 8

redsky23

A Windows 8 hater friend of mines gave me a legit copy of Windows 8. So I got Windows 8 for free. I been using it since the Developer Preview, personally I don't mind it at all. So far my experience with it hasn't been bad, I get all the performance tweaks and the other neat improvements (Task manager, explorer, etc). I'm quite happy with it since I got it for free.

Ive already upgraded, I got pro a week before it came out, and i gotta say its really cool. It takes some getting used to the new start menu but it doesnt take very long.

if your american it will cost you 25 dollars to upgrade that in its self should scream warning bells and its compatibly with programs is non existent but that's why I am not upgrading apart from its made for tablets in my opinion

Actually, anything that is compatable with Windows 7, is compatable with windows 8. The only program ive had trouble with is Google Chrome, but Google released a new metro app that takes care of the problems with the desktop application.

EDIT: one other problem (sort of) is that for laptops, windows 8 cuts down on the battery life. My laptop used to last 6 hours on battery with windows 7, now it'll last 2 or 3 hours.

Edited by ruekk

I may pick up a copy of this when I finally build a new computer sometime next year. It depends on whether or not win 7 is still being sold, and how much ram the new motherboard supports. How well ubuntu supports steam will also play a factor. If I get the option to ditch windows once and for all, I will gladly do so.

I will not be upgrading my current pc to win 8. I see no reason to downgrade my desktop for hardware improvements my current pc couldn't even utilize.

• 5 weeks later...

Windows 7 is enough for me. I like the old start menu, not the new Metro. It looks and feels more optimized for a tablet, than for a mouse and keyboard. In additoin, I have also heard a lot of mixed reviews from people, which makes me want to stay away. Most of them tend towards the negative side.

I think it's all well and good not to upgrade (I'm certainly not, not for any kind of money), especially for an OS like Win 8, but if the reason for not upgrading is simply that "it's different" and you don't explain why it doesn't work for you, it just kind of comes off as you're resistant to any kind of change, good or bad.

tumblr_m9gck4P2Jf1qzckow.gif