Will you be upgrading to Win 8

redsky23

I'm not an expert on the subject, so if you're really debating the subject, I'd suggest to use google.

I really like the simplistic yet feature-powered look of Windows 8. The File Explorer makes me want to get W8 just because of it. And I wouldn't mind having IE10 as an option (although I'd be using FF). The way that the system shuts down and restarts is pretty neat as well, cutting down on a lot of the boot-time. However, if you're a gamer or a power-user, I suggest waiting until SP1 is released for it. By then, it's safe to assume that a lot of the issues should have been taken care of. I say this because drivers don't generally perform as well on W8 due to it being a fairly new OS; also, I can't pin-point an example, but I've had some trouble trying to actually get some administrative-level stuff done before. Oh, and all the inter-connectness of social media is just something that I'm not into, but a good feature for many. It's also somewhat annoying that UAC is so persistent, and that the only way for it to not be a bother without turning it off is to use a feature-limited Administrator account. Oh, and the forced (emphasis on forced) start menu is a pain to deal with (I shouldn't have to download a third-party app to change this).

Edited by Marc05

• 6 months later...

I bought a new laptop, it came standard with windows 8,Lasted for 2 days. I have been working with windows since 3.1 and I had to Google how to shut my computer down, that was the first straw, the (bad word here) interface confused me and was difficult to use. I think on a touch screen device it might be good, but on a working computer it (another bad word here). I have since remove Win 8 and installed Win 7.

The Doc

I do not do the whole twitter/facebook thing - I use my computer for work. which I am passionate about. Now and again I find a forum that is nice, like this one. I stop to give my 2cents worth. having a thousand friends that i will never meet on facebook is not my cup of tea. Just like win 8 with its mobile phone interface - its not my cup of tea.

I've been using Windows 8 on my new rig for a couple days now.  I must say it's not quite as bad as people made it out to be.  The biggest gripes are true though.  It's annoying as hell to keep in mind all the different search thingies like win+f to search files, win+w to search settings, etc.  However, once you learn a couple of the basic keyboard commands and maybe google where a few things are, it's pretty fluid.  I honestly like the start menu, but I prefer to have a start button present so I downloaded an app that put a button there to activate the menu if I decide I want it ^^.  Most of the time I just use the start menu to search my programs though so it's win+<start typing>.  Windows 8 is not very friendly to very mouse oriented people, but coming from a heavy programming background I like keyboard shortcuts, and once I get the shortcuts down in about a week or so, I think I'll be using W8 as well as I was using W7.

One of the things I really hated was the hot corners feature.  Really if you think about it, you only want your OS to bug you if you requested to be bugged.  Dragging my mouse to a corner is not permission to bug me about something.  Most of the time I'm just parking my mouse so it's out of the way.  I got an app to disable the hot corners thing pretty quickly :P.

Edited by Dae314

I've been using Windows 8 on my new rig for a couple days now.  I must say it's not quite as bad as people made it out to be.

Agreed. After removing metro and adding something like a start menu, it's actually quite nice. Some GUIs are overly complicated with too many options visible by default (explorer). Some things are made all too complicated (it takes approximately thirty clicks to allow yourself to edit [or edit permissions] of system files through explorer). Other GUIs are rather nice, like the sleek black bar that comes off the side, and the file transfer interface.

In general, getting around is faster than in other Windows versions once you get used to it. I've got it to cold boot in 13 seconds (Win 7 does it slightly faster in 12), plus Win 8 has a superfuous "lock" screen before you enter your user info.

• 3 weeks later...

I upgrade to Win8 when I need to, the definition of 'need to' being building/buying a new computer. Until then i am more than content with my copy of Win7. I can also see me skipping Win8 depending how long Microsoft takes to bring out the successor and how long my computer can hold out.

Edited by Prosix

• 2 weeks later...

I think windows 8 is great. I understand why people don't like it, but it's really easy to make it into what I need it to be with third party apps like Start8. Plus, Windows 8.1 brings back the start menu and adds start screen customization, so... problem solved.

I've decided against migrating to Windows 8, because imo, it's not designed for a desktop. I'm not loading extra apps just to make it more usable either. The new start menu is starting to grow on me, but there is too much stupid with the rest of it for me to forgive. I don't see 8.1 changing my opinion either.

I may try a tablet or phone that comes with it, but for the desktop, I'll be using linux. 

I've decided against migrating to Windows 8, because imo, it's not designed for a desktop. I'm not loading extra apps just to make it more usable either. The new start menu is starting to grow on me, but there is too much stupid with the rest of it for me to forgive. I don't see 8.1 changing my opinion either.

I may try a tablet or phone that comes with it, but for the desktop, I'll be using linux.

Please explain. What is wrong with 'the rest of it'? I see nothing but improvements, excluding the start menu of course.

Please explain. What is wrong with 'the rest of it'? I see nothing but improvements, excluding the start menu of course.

'The rest of it', is the fact that it's not designed for a desktop. The whole point of paying extra for windows is the ootb experience. A new OS version should offer 2 things over its predecessor: a better more stable core, and a gui environment that is easier and more efficient. Without that, all you have is a really expensive game console, which is what Windows 8 turns your PC into. I will agree that the core of Win8 is better than Win7, but Metro is about as easy and efficient as Windows 3.1 

[hate rant]

The charmbar, imo, is poorly designed. I see my mom constantly closing a maximized window by accident when going for the charmbar.  It shouldn't be somewhere that an accidental mouse click could close what your working on. It should pop down from the top when the cursor hits the top somewhere is the middle. There is also room on the start page, they could have easily added it there.

Apps launched from the start page go straight to fullscreen view, and hitting the Esc key does not allow you to exit out of it. Imo, this is also a design flaw. What it should do, is exit to the desktop with a windowed version of that program open. 

My biggest single complaint about Win8, is the fact that I'd have to brake out a shovel just to shut my computer off, that is stupid. I shouldn't have to dig into the charmbar to shutdown, and I also shouldn't have to sign off first. There should be a shutdown button right under the sign off button on the start page. Until labtops come equipped with an infinite battery charge, I want to be able to turn mine off.

There are more complaints that I have with Win8, but since it's my mom's labtop, I only ever see it when she calls to complain about how it doesn't do something her old computer did. I'm tired of having to go and stand over her shoulder to help her do something she could do just fine in Win7. I can understand Microsoft wanting to try something new, but it shouldn't be so new that your customers have to learn how to use it all over again. This is the reason I won't be using Windows 8 on my desktop, because I'd rather switch to linux if I'm going to have to learn something new.

[/hate rant]

'The rest of it', is the fact that it's not designed for a desktop. The whole point of paying extra for windows is the ootb experience. A new OS version should offer 2 things over its predecessor: a better more stable core, and a gui environment that is easier and more efficient. Without that, all you have is a really expensive game console, which is what Windows 8 turns your PC into. I will agree that the core of Win8 is better than Win7, but Metro is about as easy and efficient as Windows 3.1 

[hate rant]

The charmbar, imo, is poorly designed. I see my mom constantly closing a maximized window by accident when going for the charmbar.  It shouldn't be somewhere that an accidental mouse click could close what your working on. It should pop down from the top when the cursor hits the top somewhere is the middle. There is also room on the start page, they could have easily added it there.

Apps launched from the start page go straight to fullscreen view, and hitting the Esc key does not allow you to exit out of it. Imo, this is also a design flaw. What it should do, is exit to the desktop with a windowed version of that program open. 

My biggest single complaint about Win8, is the fact that I'd have to brake out a shovel just to shut my computer off, that is stupid. I shouldn't have to dig into the charmbar to shutdown, and I also shouldn't have to sign off first. There should be a shutdown button right under the sign off button on the start page. Until labtops come equipped with an infinite battery charge, I want to be able to turn mine off.

There are more complaints that I have with Win8, but since it's my mom's labtop, I only ever see it when she calls to complain about how it doesn't do something her old computer did. I'm tired of having to go and stand over her shoulder to help her do something she could do just fine in Win7. I can understand Microsoft wanting to try something new, but it shouldn't be so new that your customers have to learn how to use it all over again. This is the reason I won't be using Windows 8 on my desktop, because I'd rather switch to linux if I'm going to have to learn something new.

[/hate rant]

Your problems are all related to the use of the start menu. You haven't mentioned much else that is seriously wrong with the OS. An installation of one program and one registry edit, and things will work exactly like they did in Windows 7.