how do you choose a good anime?

donny8894

Kinda like a lucky guess. Trial and error. But yea as lloyd998 mentioned, give the first few eps a go. But then there are several animes out there that start out meh but turn out better later on. Generally I look for those around 12 to 26 eps. Personal preference. :D

Same here. Usually trial and error.

Other than that, I will usually read the synopsis, maybe a review, and then give the first few episodes a shot. Having good animation, character designs, a nice plot and a nice soundtrack usually helps though lol :P

this is actually hard...

to start off, "good anime" is really subjective...or objective...or something...

the point is, its what you like

so you'd probably ask for recs and ppl will ask ur faves, preferred genres etc

thats the most common way

but to start from nil, then you'd look at popularity polls/rankings, read reviews, look at art, character designs

basically...research

so how do you choose a good anime?

research, get, watch, review

of course, others already mentioned the trial&error thing....

in the end, you got to at least give everything a go/try/chance

Oh! This would be helpful for me too as I'm searching for something new to watch. I've been so stuck on the anime style of the 80s/90s that it's just tough to move on. I've seen all of Fullmetal Alchemist though so I definitely enjoy that sort of anime stylings of today's times but ah, it's so hard to describe that sort of anime to folks that will compare to others. I mean, I like the Sci Fi/Comedic feel but then other animes like that just to interest me. :X

• 1 month later...

I check out the recommendations section at myanimelist. I also look at pictures of the anime, check out the quality of the animation.

A review of the story is a must read also.

If possible, sometimes I check out scenes of the show at youtube or such.

Then, I make up my mind

It usually starts with me hearing about some anime. Once I know of an anime I could possibly be interested in I search it in google images to get an idea of the animation styles, then I check out its wiki page to see what it's about. Once this passes my requirements I check if it's English dubbed. Usually after the first 3 episodes I'll know if it's to my liking or not.

Kind of a weird way of going about it but it works lol

Either that or the anime gets such high praise that I skip all that and go straight to watching