Big Adventure Recommendation?

One type of anime I have always loved are those Big Adventure Types (Hunter x Hunter, Monster Rancher, Sword Art Online, etc)

However I have found not too many of them, if anyone has any recommendations that would be great.

On a side note, I also love Samurai (post war) shows like Rurouni Kenshin, or Samurai Champloo. Anything good in this category would be nice too.

Thanks in Advance.

Edited by Aka Gambit

Aside from the ones already listed, >>

Magi; the kingdom of magic, is kind of adventure? I enjoyed it. (watching the currently airing season 2, still enjoying it)

FMA; Brotherhood, it's kind of adventure, again. ahah.

MÄR, that's an adventure one! (new world to explore yayay)

Dog Days, same as above. (new world and all)

Then there's the oldies that I used to watch as a kid. a bit childish, but they're definitely 'adventure'.

Pokemon

Digimon

Inuyasha

• 2 weeks later...

Nice thread I have been looking for some new adventure anime. I see Sword Art Online was mentioned, I liked that one. Does anyone know anymore like it? Adventure, Virtual World kind of thing.

Log Horizon is what you're looking for! Persona 4 - The animation and Accel World might also fit in your criteria.

Those are the only ones that come straight to mind, though.

Nice thread I have been looking for some new adventure anime. I see Sword Art Online was mentioned, I liked that one. Does anyone know anymore like it? Adventure, Virtual World kind of thing.

Log Horizon is what you're looking for! Persona 4 - The animation and Accel World might also fit in your criteria.

Those are the only ones that come straight to mind, though.

I have seen Accel World but not the other two. Thanks for the recommendation will definitely check them out!

Finished watching MAR, it was pretty good, not as much as Dog Days but still good. Tried to watch Shigurui Death Frenzy but just could not get into it. Recently started looking at space westerns like Cowboy Beebop. I am watching Bones right now but then I am gonna give "Magi; The Kingdom of Magic" a try.

Finished watching MAR, it was pretty good, not as much as Dog Days but still good. Tried to watch Shigurui Death Frenzy but just could not get into it. Recently started looking at space westerns like Cowboy Beebop. I am watching Bones right now but then I am gonna give "Magi; The Kingdom of Magic" a try.

Sorry! Just realized I gave you the wrong one. You want:

Magi; The Labyrinth of Magic

Magi; The Kingdom of Magic is the second season. (Sorry!)

• 2 weeks later...

12 Kingdoms, about a girl in modern japan who ends up in an alternate world based on feudal china with magic and monsters. Has a good story and I think it fits the big adventure idea fairly well.

Slayers, take any season and it will fall into the big adventure category, but it is a bit dated. Comedy, fantasy, and action, and a fairly good overall plot in spite of the goofy antics.

Spice and Wolf, this is not an action series but it is a big adventure, where a merchant teams up with a local wolf deity to help her get back to her home land. Good story and excellent presentation, and it has its bits of thrills and dangers in spite of the lack of action and fighting.

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, This is a tragic romance series related to xxxHolic and Card Captor Sakura, but is nothing like either series beyond that the original comic books were all tied together. Without giving away the story, it involves a group of companions traveling from alternate world to alternate world on a long journey to save princess sakura. Has plenty of action and comedy, and a bit of drama (its not overemphasized but its always there). Edit: Oh yeah, I should warn you, it starts breaking down a bit in the second season, and the series ends without any real resolution.

Basilisk, its dark and bloody and about 2 ninja clans fighting a secret war. If romeo and juliet were to meet hamlet in an anime, this would be it, and I would say it meets the big adventure requirements if memory serves.

Unfortunately that's all I can think of off the top of my head that involve big adventures rather than having everyone stay in a specific area with a familiar setting. There are always the large mainstream series like Inuyasha of course, and technically if you think about it, pokemon, but with some of them it varies from season to season as to weather there is a big adventure.

Edited by Mordeth_Kai
  • Like 1