Crusader-0 Permission Changes.

Koby

To prevent spamming and such from the leechers/spammers who don't contribute and such (the ones with less than 5 posts), I edited the user group Crusaders-0.

They now have a 30 PM storage limit, cannot join or participate in the social groups, cannot use custom user titles, cannot play the arcade, and cannot add/use a signature (this is mainly to prevent spambots from joining and placing crap links in their signature and leaving).

I also fixed the permissions of Crusader-0 members and guest within the Small Encodes board so they can no longer access the threads as I forgot to do that when I separated Small Encodes from iPod/PSP earlier. Also I have changed it so Crusader-0 members cannot make requests in the request section.

I hope this will help in one way or another. I'm considering increasing the posts needed to upgrade from Crusader-0 to Crusader from 5 to 10, but I'm undecided still on that.

To prevent spamming and such from the leechers/spammers who don't contribute and such (the ones with less than 5 posts), I edited the user group Crusaders-0.

They now have a 30 PM storage limit, cannot join or participate in the social groups, cannot use custom user titles, cannot play the arcade, and cannot add/use a signature (this is mainly to prevent spambots from joining and placing crap links in their signature and leaving).

I also fixed the permissions of Crusader-0 members and guest within the Small Encodes board so they can no longer access the threads as I forgot to do that when I separated Small Encodes from iPod/PSP earlier. Also I have changed it so Crusader-0 members cannot make requests in the request section.

I hope this will help in one way or another. I'm considering increasing the posts needed to upgrade from Crusader-0 to Crusader from 5 to 10, but I'm undecided still on that.

I say this is a good thing. No more out of place threads + spamming or double posting to fulfill the contract. That aside, about the thing about increasing the posts from 5 to 10, in my own opinion, that is indeed, a little harsh but if you think you can eliminate those "bad things" you said above, then go for it. But what about the "super short" replies from threads? I guess that one is going to remain. In the brighter side, I think that if they do manage to achieve the 10 posts, they will somehow get attached to this forum and who knows, maybe they will be willing to participate. Just my opinion guys no offense meant :D

awesome man, but one question can they make threads, because I recall this one incident recently when one tried to make final fantasy 7 thread that consisted of just "this is an awesome game do u agree?" I mean thats just ridiculous

anyway good idea koby

awesome man, but one question can they make threads, because I recall this one incident recently when one tried to make final fantasy 7 thread that consisted of just "this is an awesome game do u agree?" I mean thats just ridiculous

anyway good idea koby

They can still make threads anywhere. Nothing we can actually do to stop/prevent them from spamming new threads or spamming new posts, but we can limit what they can do on other areas and I was getting tired of editing 0 post spambots with advertisement signatures so disabling signatures for the group means we'll catch any of them that do post 5 times before they'll be able to use their signature to spam ads at least.

im still not convinced 10 is enough, maybe 15? whatever works for you..............

That's what I was thinking. Some places I used to go had their download section at 50 posts and you had to prove that you're a part of the community. I'm not saying that it should be that harsh but maybe the system as is is a bit too lenient with posts.

That's what I was thinking. Some places I used to go had their download section at 50 posts and you had to prove that you're a part of the community. I'm not saying that it should be that harsh but maybe the system as is is a bit too lenient with posts.

Well if we increased it by much even you wouldn't have access at your current status.

You increase it from 5 to 10, you'll just gonna need to remove ten dumbass posts instead of five later.

Unless you want this place to become some sort of vip club with invitations only, the system is working now. Seeing what a user wrote in his five first posts, no more no less, is just enough to have a sufficient impression of what's his activity on the forum is gonna be like. Spammers always will be, yes emotionally they are annoying, rationally - their number is manageable and controllable now. Plus, if you set the post limit through the roof, that's not going to help enlarging the community either. 95% of people come here looking for downloads, they get their downloads, only then some of them might actually like the place and stay, be active. Chances are a new user registers and learns he has to make 50 posts - he'll just pass without even getting familiar with forums. And if you cut newcomers' flow, forum's gonna die out in a year or so. Better have loads of newbies when a little part of them is really good than not have newbies at all.

5 posts is good policy, 10 or more is not enough to stop a leecher but quite enough to discourage a person who actually likes each of his posts to have some value.

Well, we want to make our community bigger and more active, right? That ain't gonna happen if the posts needed for the download section is increased to a ridiculous amount. For starters, even i wouldn't be here if the post amount was more than 5 posts at the time i registered. I would start looking for some easier downloads. My point is that most of the regular members here joined only for the download section and later found out more about community, liked it and became more active, at least from what i saw. So I agree with Shade there. And i would really like to know the number of people who came just for the community lol... And the other changes are great Koby.

Well, we want to make our community bigger and more active, right? That ain't gonna happen if the posts needed for the download section is increased to a ridiculous amount. For starters, even i wouldn't be here if the post amount was more than 5 posts at the time i registered. I would start looking for some easier downloads. My point is that most of the regular members here joined only for the download section and later found out more about community, liked it and became more active, at least from what i saw. So I agree with Shade there. And i would really like to know the number of people who came just for the community lol... And the other changes are great Koby.

That's exactly what happened to me. Though I think there was only a 1 post minimum or something when I joined. Then it was raised to 5 and I no longer had access to the downloads, so I was kind of annoyed, but started posting. It all went downhill from there, haha.

Anyway, I agree with what everyone is saying. Increasing the minimum to 10 would be reasonable, but you don't want to make it too high. Otherwise people will look for other sources for downloads.

i joined up when i found the link through EDK i was looking for downloads at the time but i was also looking for a place to migrate because the old forum i used to hang around had pretty much died out and i was sad that it had and needed a new place i liked the downloads and the community in the old one i had to try very hard to get into the group and i felt welcome here right from the start then from there i started uploading and became a uploader and super mod god it was months ago that this place became my homepage ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

I understand that you guys really want people to actually participate in the forums, but don't you think increasing the posing minimum by any number is just going a bit too far? I've been looking forever to find a place where I can just watch the full dubbed episodes of one of my favorite series, but I can't find anyplace where the audio isn't screwy or the video is just subbed. *sigh* The world doesn't like anyone who just likes to watch anime...

10 is a good number. i've been to forums that cut your access if you don't make another post after a period of time. mayhaps that would be a good way to stop the leechers?

I second that opinion Shazi's right - Why don't you put a check system in place.

That would filter out posts such as "thank you" , "great" etc. and put a system in place that would automatically demote or maybe even temporarily disable ones account if they don't make any post in a certain period also raising the post threshold from 5 to 10 wouldn't hurt either... and the Crusader system sounds good and that way we could have better classification of our members here at kametsu... Not that I'm voting for segregation but instead i would think of it as a system of organizing our respected members.