What's your worst computer disaster?

RikuoAmero

when I tried to hackint0sh my computer the first time, it reformatted the entire hard disk and my external hard drive all at the same time even though I told it to use a specific partition I had created. My computer was worthless for two weeks until I managed to reinstall an operating system. Still don't know why it formatted everything possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't really have any BIG/MAJOR computer disasters but there was when I installed Windows 7 Ultimate and I chose the my main hard drive instead of the other, chose Clean Install. Hence everything was gone! There have been momments where I screwed up my computer but lucky I was able to fix it :L Like when I tried to hack myself with RAT Hehehehe.

Well the time the power went out while I was moving files to my archive really sucked. Didn't really have video downloads back in those days but the loss of all my downloaded music and really awesome bookmarks brought me to tears. The bad sectors left on the hard drive only added to my suffering.

Also any time a computer of mine powers down for the last time leaves me a little choked up inside. I just love them all so much.

A pretty recent one actually. I know that running two virus softwares at once is a bad thing, because it f*** with shit, so I never ever did it. But when I got my knew computer I got Kapersky preinstalled on the computer, but I have it programed into my head that whenever I start a new OS I need to get three things right away; Firefox, AVG, and Move my music from my old computer. I did all of these things.

What was I thinking, I dunno, which is why a couple months ago, I decided to just get rid of kapersky(Why I got rid of the one I paid for...I dunno, but anyway) and it fucked my computer up. It had difficulties booting and froze 25% of the time. It took a while, but AVG caught up with itself and things are running fine now, but it was one of the stupidest, and worst mistakes I've made on a computer.

Lived in a old reck of a house and got one f uped virus after about two days a got it virus free, so the very next day when I got in from work a water pipe had burst directly over my computer, ever thing on the living room floor had to go but the fact the pipe burst over the computer.

uhmm well it was a while back.. and i still don't know what caused it, but i came home and my computer had been on for two days straight, it was making a really loud noise and well.. there was smoke coming out of it.. and i freaked and i screamed and i ran for my life >.< and then eventually my brother helped me out and i threw it away and got a new one!

I havnt had to many computer disasters. But i did get the anti-virus suite once. That freakin thing wouldnt let me open anything. wouldnt let me get online. and couldnt open task manager. I got online on another pc to solve the problem. I had to hit ctr-alt-del before windows had a chance to full load... then hunt down the program that was running that was causing me all this trouble.

• 4 weeks later...
I havnt had to many computer disasters. But i did get the anti-virus suite once. That freakin thing wouldnt let me open anything. wouldnt let me get online. and couldnt open task manager. I got online on another pc to solve the problem. I had to hit ctr-alt-del before windows had a chance to full load... then hunt down the program that was running that was causing me all this trouble.

My first pc shipped with McAfee anti-virus and security suit pre-installed. That was a disaster. After that I learned how to build my own pc from parts on the net, cheap.

My worst computer disaster was when the hard drive died. The problem was that my wife's Master's thesis was on the drive. She had just sat down at the computer to work on it. The computer would not boot. There is no joy in seeing a grown woman near tears about to have a breakdown.

Luckily I had back up all of her work to DVD the night before. I simply had to install a new hard drive and re-load everything. There was peace in the valley.

Worst computer disaster:

Attempting to repair a Pentium III Celeron computer machine for the city's water value-control system, and failing because NT4 refused to play nice with the equally as old motherboard on the system despite any and all attempts to repair the system (via: repair, recovery, ect). A failed project is always a disaster.

Lesson:

Never rely on a single machine for important things. They will often fail when you least expect them to and completely wish they didn't.

• 1 month later...

last year when i decided it was time to start upgrade the aging desktop i have i fitted a new hard drive, ram and cpu everything was allright though i did have to reinstall my os because the old hd died on me. my problem only really started when i was gaming and all of a sudden my monitor is black. the monitor was fine what wasnt was the cpu. when i was taking the old cpu out turns out i also disconected the fan and didnt reconnect it when the new one was in -___- well now whenever an upgrade is in the works i send it to a shop to get it fitted that way if things go wrong i have someone else to blame :P

hmm i think it's way back 2005

the first time i used Limewire (>,<).. i download some of the bleach episodes which i think episodes 64 - 65.. i really don't have any antiviruz that time so while im downloading the episodes, my system crashed (win xp), the computer restarted and i can't go to desktop..

that time, i was quite frustrated on what happened, i have to format my system for a freaking 2 episode with viruz. that's also the time when i did not resort to torrents and limewires.

The time when I downloaded a torrent copy of "Starcraft Wings of Liberty". I followed the instructions and installed 7Zip. When I restarted my laptop, all the shortcuts became 7Zip icons luckily, Vista has a backup system so I managed to repair it.

That day, I swore never to use 7Zip again or Download Torrent PC games from unpopular uploaders ;)

The time when I downloaded a torrent copy of "Starcraft Wings of Liberty". I followed the instructions and installed 7Zip. When I restarted my laptop, all the shortcuts became 7Zip icons luckily, Vista has a backup system so I managed to repair it.

That day, I swore never to use 7Zip again or Download Torrent PC games from unpopular uploaders ;)

You can still use Winzip for 7Zip files. No point in ever downloading it