What's your worst computer disaster?

RikuoAmero

This happened just a couple weeks ago, had Mcafee trial on and was searching for 360 magazine pdf to put on my iPad 2. Well got hit with that AV virus and hit hard, tried everything on boot up but nothing worked. My laptop is a Vaio so I hit the assist button and it was able to do the factory restore from there. Of course ALL my stuff was gone because I never did a backup :beat_brick:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've actually never really had a big meltdown or anything. Had a hard drive blow once, but it wasn't my main computer so it really didn't bug me.

Ironically, I'm the only real downloader in my family, and have only gotten a virus from it once or twice (and it always got picked up by an antivirus or something before it did any damage). That said, I have had to deal with hijackers on my sister's and a friend's computers. Both turned off the internet, disabled most programs, and would offer to sell me an anti-virus program. The one on my friend's computer had the added bonus of turning off the desktop. That was a long night.

The funniest thing I recall though is that once my dad started bragging to me about how he just found a list of all the programs he never used on his computer, and was deleting them all to make it run faster. I'd never heard of something that simple so I looked over his shoulder. The list? Change or Remove Programs. It's a damn good thing I got to him before he uninstalled the modem, that would've really sucked.

• 1 month later...

the worst I can remember is when my laptop got a nasty virus, where the thing actually locked me out of everything, I couldn't access any of my stuff. Every time I tried to get on the internet the virus blocked me with a pop up of some fake anti-virus thing that told me I had viruses and demanded that I buy this product from them to get rid of the virus.

I finally managed to fix it by shutting down and restoring my laptop to an earlier date while in safe mode.

The funniest thing I recall though is that once my dad started bragging to me about how he just found a list of all the programs he never used on his computer, and was deleting them all to make it run faster. I'd never heard of something that simple so I looked over his shoulder. The list? Change or Remove Programs. It's a damn good thing I got to him before he uninstalled the modem, that would've really sucked.

• 3 weeks later...

Ahhh computer disasters.... my mistress.

Most recently:

Have (had) a pretty beastly thing (6k worth of beast) and decided it was time to

update Windows 7 to Service Pack 1. Took it for granted and 'next next next'ed the whole

process... but little did I know that it was downloading Creative drivers for my

Auzentech (which uses a Creative chipset) soundcard.

After restarting, the sound was retarded as: soft then loud then soft then normal

I checked out what was actually updated, uninstalled all my sound drivers and reinstalled some

legit Auzentech drivers. Upon restart the sound was just as bad.

So I uninstalled the drivers again and restarted.... and my PC blue screened and wouldn't boot.

Long and short of it:

- Windows Updates corrupted the boot sector of my HDD

- 2/3 of the sticks of RAM turned out dead

AND FINALLY

Now my motherboard will not complete the boot process at all, looks like its a dud now too.

So much for Windows Updates. Fun times.

Also trying to reinitialize a RAID array that has multiple points of failure, that's pretty fun too.

TL;DR: Windows Updates unintentionally (?) cocked up a perfectly good PC

For me losing my master boot record, not once but twice. The first one was 6 years ago and the second one was a few days ago. The first time I couldn't fix it (was still a nub), second time I manage to restore it. I didn't do any backups for it but I now have bootable Linuxs on USB and manage to restore the Masterboot and BCD by creating a new one and directing it to my Windows 7 boot.

Well... not exactly my computer disaster but one of a friend:

After beginning his work he noticed his computer was already running before his shift began. He was wondering who might have done anything with his computer, but simply worked on and clicked on shutdown before he left his office after his shift.

The next morning the PC was running again. That day he made sure he was the last one and locked the door after clicking on shutdown. He was already wondering which of his colleagues would play tricks on him.

The following morning the PC was running again. This time he decided to stay near the Computer until it wouldn't give a single loud anymore and he discovered a blue screen that was occuring everytime the PC would shut down, leading to a restart. I think some drivers were causing it, so it wasn't a big deal afterwards, but it still caused quite an irritation.