Do you think there will be more streaming services after Disney launches it's service?

olympustenay

• 4 weeks later...

seems like everyone and their uncle is getting their own streaming service,,I can see why the big D would want their own ,,they want a sizeable chunk of that money too.....

but in all honesty...I could care less ,,it wont be carried where I live ..in fact over 99% of streaming services are not carried here

very simply put it's not America ..so you can't have it .....okay-okay ...that is the truth,, but it does all boil down to licencing,,

which where I live (canada) is not often included in the "American regions.and continental north America contracts"...

but to be very fair neither is Alaska nor Hawaii ..I will wish them "best of luck" as I do to them all ...

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 4:50 AM, olympustenay said:

It seems like everyone is launching their own streaming service

Totally agree. Name any major media company or entertainment conglomerate and they will most likely look into the possibility of having one. The potential for profit is high especially those with back catalogs and their own intellectual properties and materials.  Fox, FX, CBS, ABC, etc all either have some kind of deal or capability to stream their shows.  Funimation was bought by Sony which integrated its  streaming services and there is an expansion of infrastructure to facilitate streaming services. 

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:33 PM, Neko-fish said:

seems like everyone and their uncle is getting their own streaming service,,I can see why the big D would want their own ,,they want a sizeable chunk of that money too.....

but in all honesty...I could care less ,,it wont be carried where I live ..in fact over 99% of streaming services are not carried here

very simply put it's not America ..so you can't have it .....okay-okay ...that is the truth,, but it does all boil down to licencing,,

which where I live (canada) is not often included in the "American regions.and continental north America contracts"...

but to be very fair neither is Alaska nor Hawaii ..I will wish them "best of luck" as I do to them all ...

Excellent point on regional and geographical restrictions and avaiblity. These problems are also made worse by older shows and material not being on the services at all and if they are, they are only there for a short period of time.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

You bet your uncle there will be. Every major studio will give it a go, so will a handful of minor ones. You'll probably even see some channels try it on their own (Boomerang already does this). These executives are going to whore out every brand that they own and try to make a streaming service out of 'em. Most will fold, and we might even get to a point where we're looking at twenty "packages" operated by the main distributors. Amazon will probably survive, by virtue of their other services, but I think Hulu won't see 2022 and Netflix will probably cease streaming operations in the next five years and fall back entirely on being a DVD-by-mail service.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually everyone means that it is cool and brings billions. I really don’t know why they paid people to think about this. One of the points are that nobody wants 15 accounts for 10 bucks or more in a month. No, they want one or two big places and pay Justs for them. But oh yeah, everything is the fault of the bad pirates...

This might be too tinfoil hat-ish, but with all the streaming services there could or will be, it's possible that many people will opt for things like plex or emby or other personal streaming services. Pirating may come back into fashion, as opposed to paying for multiple services. If I wasn't a colossal Disney fan or, say, HBO fan, but I liked one thing that they produce, I couldn't justify paying X amount of money a month or a year to watch it. And I mean like an on-going TV show. Not so much a movie.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

There will be a boom of streaming services but don't feel that number will be huge enough to really make that much a difference since it will probably fizzle itself out within a year or two afterwards and will have fewer of them that continue to hang in there. Eventually I feel some streaming services may get purchased along with their content. You just may never know these days how different things will change within the next decade and what company will give Disney and Netflix a run for their money. In the end, this can only mean great things for the consumer for there will be more series and films created to be enjoyed for years to come.

• 4 weeks later...

Some of the smaller networks need to just collab together to go into one service and split revenue as there is simply no way every one of them could support their own individual streaming services. People simply cannot afford to subscribe to everything under the sun.

I hate ads, but I wish some of these would have a free ad-supported option rather than making people simply miss out on the service entirely.

It is an inevitable path. More and more services will arise, each more and more niche than the last one. The question is, for how long and how many of these services the market is willing to support. At some point, we'll probably get packages that include exclusives from certain networks just as was the case with cable-TV. Now, cable has had a very good run, and will still be around for a while, so I don't see people turning away from streaming services anytime soon.

As someone else said, we might see a resurgence in piracy though.

• 1 month later...