joryuken

2 hours ago, thefarmboy said:

The Last Airbender is a cartoon done with heavy anime influences. But really, who cares? It's an animation, and it's really good. The end.

Let us not speak of the non animated one...

If you're referring to the live action, I remember watching that movie, talk about bullshit :canny: They tried to cram a whole season of 20 episodes in a film, what a joke, and the way the pronounce Aang's name. That whole movie was a fuck up. 

1 minute ago, olympustenay said:

I thought anime was supposed to be animation not live action. Avatar was a live action film so it's not anime.

No, Avatar the last Airbender is an animation that has a live action film, not the other avatar with the alien world with blue men. This topic is about the first Avatar mentioned. 

13 hours ago, DRX said:

If you're referring to the live action, I remember watching that movie, talk about bullshit :canny: They tried to cram a whole season of 20 episodes in a film, what a joke, and the way the pronounce Aang's name. That whole movie was a fuck up. 

Oh yeah, worst movie I ever sat through in a theater. Me and my friends were all horrified with how they butchered the show. People need to keep M. Night Shyamalan away from things.

• Like 1

Japanglish (English word that was turned into katakana) word for animation is アニメーション、Japanese people are too lazy (if you are pessimistic), or too efficient (if you are optimistic), so they shorten the word to anime=アニメ。With that in mind, all cartoons are animations. Anime is a shortened word for animation. Therefore all cartoons are animations. 

This is obvious to a Japanese person, as a Japanese person calls ALL cartoons アニメ(anime),no matter if it's an Arabic cartoon, an American cartoon, or a Japanese cartoon.

Edited by Saku
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

It's an animation. Sure.

Anime? No... pretty sure the term refers to japanese (or just asian in general?) animation.

ATLA is Western, not Eastern/Asian.

It's basically like calling a non-japanese made rpg a JRPG...

Don't really get why people want to fight over this. The definition of the term is what it is, you can't just willy nilly change it because you want to.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/20/2018 at 10:25 PM, RyanEsau said:

It's an animation. Sure.

Anime? No... pretty sure the term refers to japanese (or just asian in general?) animation.

ATLA is Western, not Eastern/Asian.

It's basically like calling a non-japanese made rpg a JRPG...

Don't really get why people want to fight over this. The definition of the term is what it is, you can't just willy nilly change it because you want to.

And even if Avatar is anime, where does that put shows like Transformers G1, Real Ghostbusters or Inspector Gadget? All three, despite being 80s shows, could easily be confused with anime from that time period thanks to their heavy involvement of Japanese artists in major areas like direction and character designs. And what about stuff like Boondocks, ThunderCats '11 or Korra? Are they also anime, or cartoons?

2 hours ago, MasterGasser said:

And even if Avatar is anime, where does that put shows like Transformers G1, Real Ghostbusters or Inspector Gadget? All three, despite being 80s shows, could easily be confused with anime from that time period thanks to their heavy involvement of Japanese artists in major areas like direction and character designs. And what about stuff like Boondocks, ThunderCats '11 or Korra? Are they also anime, or cartoons?

Don't know any of the mentioned shows aside from Korra, but I don't think partial japanese staff counts. I assume the term is also specifically for fully made in japan (or any asian country) with asian staff. Not something that was made in like, America, but happened to have a Japanese Art Director/Artist.

All in all, I think the whole thing is just rather complicated. People are always going to stick to their personal opinion regardless of what the actual definition is meant to be. I still see every now and then, people on MAL requesting or asking about RWBY not being in the database. People just won't yield.

So people can just go with what they want the definition to be but they shouldn't expect sites like MAL to change their system to match what they believe. There going to stick to what they believe/want and you'll stick to what you believe/want.

Edited by RyanEsau
Just noticed a small typo.

2 minutes ago, RyanEsau said:

Don't know any of the mentioned shows aside from Korra, but I don't think partial japanese staff counts. I assume the term is also specifically for fully made in japan (or any asian country) with asian staff. Not something that was made in like, America, but happened to have a Japanese Art Director/Artist.

All in all, I think the whole thing is just rather complicated. People are always going to stick to their personal opinion regardless of what the actual definition is meant to be. I still see every now and then, people on MAL requessting or asking about RWBY not being in the database. People just won't yield.

So people can just go with what they want the definition to be but they shouldn't expect sites like MAL to change their system to match what they believe. There going to stick to what they believe/want and you'll stick to what you believe/want.

That's what I'm saying, Something like Korra, RWBY or Transformers keep getting brought up on the regular and it becomes a huge problem when by default the Japanese already consider things like Tom & Jerry and Disney the same thing as Cowboy Bebop or Dragon Ball.

Moreso since ANN has several cartoons (like the aforementioned RWBY and Transformers) in their encyclopedia.

1 hour ago, MasterGasser said:

That's what I'm saying, Something like Korra, RWBY or Transformers keep getting brought up on the regular and it becomes a huge problem when by default the Japanese already consider things like Tom & Jerry and Disney the same thing as Cowboy Bebop or Dragon Ball.

Moreso since ANN has several cartoons (like the aforementioned RWBY and Transformers) in their encyclopedia.

Ah, so Japanese also use the term 'anime'? The roots of the term though is western if i recall correctly. To label japanese animation and the like separately.

Didn't know about ANN though, I only use MAL. Either way, people still shouldn't expect a site (or someone else for that matter) to change their view/stance to yours just because that's what you want/believe.

Edited by RyanEsau
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2018 at 12:50 PM, usaineurope said:

Its not an anime because its a western animation made for western audiences. An anime is only an animated series made in or for japan.

Doesn't exactly fit considering Avatar was mostly animated by a Korean studio. In which a lot of Japanese anime, including anime like Naruto Shippuuden & Boruto, is also animated by Korean studios.

13 hours ago, Koby said:

Doesn't exactly fit considering Avatar was mostly animated by a Korean studio. In which a lot of Japanese anime, including anime like Naruto Shippuuden & Boruto, is also animated by Korean studios.

That's outsourcing, though. What matters is the primary country (or countries) of production.

Whilst yes, Korra was animated by a Korean studio like Naruto and the others you mentioned, Korra is different. It may have asian influences but that's only for the world. That doesn't make it an anime. It wasn't a japanese based project. It was overseen by American execs who were creating a cartoon specifically for American audiences. 

By your definition that would also make the boondocks an anime as that was also animated mainly by a studio mir, a korean company. And you'd say that's clearly a cartoon for western audiences right? 

14 hours ago, Koby said: