joryuken

Nah, that's like calling Voltron: Legendary Defender an anime. These are both outsourced to Studio Mir but they're not classified as Korean animation.

According to the west Anime refers to any animation that comes from Japan, but to the Japanese anime is any form of animation in general. So to people in Japan Avatar is an anime, but to us it is just a cartoon.

50 minutes ago, DRX said:

According to the west Anime refers to any animation that comes from Japan, but to the Japanese anime is any form of animation in general. So to people in Japan Avatar is an anime, but to us it is just a cartoon.

It depends on language, not country. In Japanese, "anime" means any animation in general. In English, "anime" means Japanese animation.

The exact same word can easily mean different things in different languages, even if the root word is the same.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mcmxcixmm said:

No. Anime is Japanese animation. Avatar is American.

But really they're both Korean, shhh don't tell the anime definition nazis

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mcmxcixmm said:

It depends on language, not country. In Japanese, "anime" means any animation in general. In English, "anime" means Japanese animation.

The exact same word can easily mean different things in different languages, even if the root word is the same.

You're right, but the word is defined by cultural view points. 

Edited by DRX

3 hours ago, mcmxcixmm said:

Everything for Avatar but the actual animation was made in America. It's American.

Well if you take away the animation you have a comic book

• Like 1

It's not an anime or a cartoon.

It's a live action CGI film.

Anime and cartoons do not use real people.

The new Ghost in the Shell isn't anime or a cartoon either.

2 hours ago, MaxxCatt said:

It's not an anime or a cartoon.

It's a live action CGI film.

Anime and cartoons do not use real people.

The new Ghost in the Shell isn't anime or a cartoon either.

M. Night Shyamalan's version is the definitive version? :o
Genius!

On 9/6/2017 at 4:15 PM, NightBlade said:

M. Night Shyamalan's version is the definitive version? :o
Genius!

Thinks talking about the James Cameron Avaar movie NOT The Last Air Bender.

Nope not an anime. Sure the animation has an anime vibe to it but it's techincally not made in Japan.

Edited by Tails
  • Like 3

The Last Airbender is a cartoon done with heavy anime influences. But really, who cares? It's an animation, and it's really good. The end.

Let us not speak of the non animated one...

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By avalpsychicguy
      I just thought I'd share with you which cartoons I've liked, which cartoons I haven't liked, and which cartoons I plan on watching.  I'd like you to tell me which cartoons you'd recommend to me!  Feel free to "second" the ones on my list, too.  It gives me a better idea of what kinds of cartoons you like.  Keep in mind that while I have watched a handful of anime and adult cartoons, I am generally not interested in them, so there's no need to mention them.

Currently watching:

Dreamworks Dragons I'm finally making some headway again, after a long time of procrastinating and waiting to download the special episode that takes place between the Cartoon Network and Netflix seasons. The Netflix seasons are so much better animated, it isn't even funny. Goes to show you what a little budget will do, huh?  
      Cartoons I've liked*:

Honorable Mentions:

Cartoons that I plan to watch**:

Cartoons I might watch if enough people recommend them:

Cartoons on hold:

Cartoons that I stopped watching due to a lack of interest:

Cartoons that are objectively bad:

*List is in approximate order of favorite (top) to least favorite (bottom)
      **List is in the approximate order that I plan to watch them in
      Bold: Still getting new episodes
      Italic: Uncertain future
      Underline: Has not yet premiered
    • By Kaiten99
      Yo, I'm Kaiten99. I'm somewhat new to Kametsu. I've been a hardcore otaku since my freshman year in high school and am now a sophomore in college. However, I respect anime to a great degree whether I've watched a great anime, average anime, or turned out to be trash. I analyze them in great detail and watch from multiple perspectives I'm looking to connect with some otakus who share the same heartfelt love for anime that I do and share opinions on quality anime, manga, and light novels and maybe make some good friends. I'm not judgmental, just a little social group that talks about anime. I'm also helping my brother make a light novel in the hopes of becoming an anime so detail in your descriptions would be appreciated. I'll literally watch almost any type of anime. Any one interested please lay on me any recommendations you have on anime, manga, or even light novels! Please ask away! Let's start our own group!
    • By Trinity Soul
      Okay I learned some new tricks and started creating new icons for my PC. I thought I would share them with all of you! =D

Mega Link
      Feel Free  To Download
       And leave feedback and requests if you think I do a good job.

This is the first 2 that are on the list http://prntscr.com/kj3g2l

Images used before i modify for icon come from Bing searches
    • By toonami335
      In the series, after it became known that Ryuko and Satsuki  are sisters, the series asserted that Satsuki is the older sister. I think that's incorrect and Ryuko is the older one.
      My reason being, when Soichiro Kiryuin (Ryuko and Satsuki's father) was still with Ragyo, they experimented on their daughter who died in the experiment. At the time, Ragyo was pregnant with another child.
      After the experiment, Soichiro Kiryuin was ambushed and he faked his own death and fled with the presumed to be dead baby (the one experimented on), and changed his identity to Isshin Matoi. This baby grew up to be Ryuko.
      After this incident, Ragyo gave birth to a baby that grew up to be Satsuki.
      Doesn't that make Ryuko the older sister? Did I miss something?