My Computer (Future) Build

Alice

I agree that an SSD would make a great upgrade. The only annoyance will be that you need to reinstall your OS on to it when you get it and wipe out the OS stuff on your old drive without wiping out all your data >.>

Once you get a SSD you dont need to reinstall, there are ways to move over the OS and files, but the best way is to unplug the old HD and install the new SSD, load the OS then plug back in the old drive, delete the windows files and what ever else you dont want or move the files you want to keep then format the drive.

Do you have any intention of overclocking this PC? The B75 chipset is more of a business oriented mobo and will most likely not overclock very well, if at all. It's suppose to have added security features like SBA (Small Business Advantage) that you may not need. I think the idea of SBA sounds pretty interesting but it looks like it requires Windows OS, which I'm not to thrilled about. I found this link on Toms that explains SBA. I also noticed a link in the comments that referred to this article, but it seems kind of bogus to me. Toms didn't seem to have felt any need to respond to it either, and I haven't been able to find anything else that talks about this. Thought I'd go ahead and mention it since you seem to be considering the B75 now. Personally, I think the name of the site explains the whole article rather well, but I haven't found anything that actually disproves it yet. 

Would be really nice if SBA was actually OS independent, but I guess that is to much to ask for. 

try get a 660ti then, if you can afford it.

The 660ti is already in the parts listed that I've just upated.  :)

Eh about those parts, why get 2 1tb drives ? do you need two drives for backup purposes ?

Because one 2tb drive is going to be cheaper than two 1tb drives (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148834)

And why the arctic silver 5 ?? There isn't even a CPU cooler on the list. Arctic silver 5 won't do any good on stock intel cooler (hell I'm not even sure if its worth it even with an extreme cpu cooler).

And about the GTX 660 ti, the HD 7950 is the same price (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202006), and has about the same performance at stock clocks, but has amazing overclocking capabilities that the GTX 660 ti does not have (because it's bandwidth limited).

And as a side note B75 chipset does not allow for overclocking so there is not point in taking the K version of the i5 3570, or you'd need a Z75 or Z77 chipset mobo for a 3570k to be of any use. And you'd need a CPU cooler.

Mink suggested having two drives for back up purposes, thou, I don't see me keeping the two.  I may just keep the one since I've got a 3TB external in which all my info is backed up on.

As far as cooling goes, my computer case has two 120mm fans included w/optional up to 5 fans usage.  My CPU has a heatsink and fan included with it as well.

Also, I don't want a Radeon graphics card.  I prefer Nvidia GeForce graphics cards.  I've been using them for years and they are more than enough for me.

Edited by Dreamcastor

I went through your revised list, and you could skip the thermal paste and save the $8 if you want. The picture for the heatsink you added shows a tube of thermal paste with the actual heatsink. I can't tell what brand it is, but I'm guessing it's Cooler Master's own brand. There should be enough in the tube to reapply the paste if any mistakes happen to occur during the initial installation. This is why I prefer to have an actual tube handy when I assemble a PC. Since the heatsink comes with it's own tube of paste, an extra tube will only be redundant and unnecessary. Unless of course you specifically want the arctic silver, then it's totally your decision whether or not to purchase it. 

I think I'd probably agree more with your husband on the hdd issue. You could definitely save money using the external drive you already have, but if that drive happens to fail. You not only lose your files on that drive, but also your backup. I personally have a special drive set aside for backups of my OS. I install the OS and programs I want, update them, and then use parted magic to create a backup of the entire hdd. I store this on that special drive so there is little chance of the image being corrupted or the drive failing from old age.

You may also want to keep an eye on the rebates when you get ready to purchase these parts. You might be able to time it just right so you can use your rebates to buy an extra stick of ram, or at least get real close.