Some advice on One Piece releases?

Pi7on

Hello, I'm currently hoarding one piece releases in the hope of, some day, make a consistent and complete release myself.
For now I have:
[df68] 1 to 351 + movies 1 to 11
[sofcj] 1080p BDrips 579 to 743 (which I believe are the only BDrips available(???) )

So are there some other good releases around that I should grab? (I only care about video quality, so sub, dub or raw are all fine)

Edited by Pi7on
typo

If you're just look at it in terms of video quality, the USDVDs were superior to the "Special Edition aka Upscaled & Cropped" One Piece that df68 did. I'd really recommend cloaknsmoke for 1-206.

For 207-528 I have a mixture of HWE, ChoeyXD, and cloaknsmoke for the episodes they've done. cloaknsmoke was the only one who went through and found the proper fps video caps for certain episodes that had a lot of issues on CR etc... so df68 also suffers the issues.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Koby said:

If you're just look at it in terms of video quality, the USDVDs were superior to the "Special Edition aka Upscaled & Cropped" One Piece that df68 did. I'd really recommend cloaknsmoke for 1-206.

For 207-528 I have a mixture of HWE, ChoeyXD, and cloaknsmoke for the episodes they've done. cloaknsmoke was the only one who went through and found the proper fps video caps for certain episodes that had a lot of issues on CR etc... so df68 also suffers the issues.

Just curious what kind of fps issues were there?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Akai-Shuichi said:

Just curious what kind of fps issues were there?

I'll just quote cloaknsmoke:

Episodes 457 and 458:
You may notice that the intro video does not match up to the audio. This is because the webrip version uses an older intro for this set of episodes due to licensing issues. It doesn’t affect the audio syncing because the intros are all exactly the same length.

Episodes 459-476:
Video source is #708750 for all other episodes. I can’t verify the encoder of any of them unfortunately. They are HDTV rips though. The reason I made this change is because starting with episode 459, all of the backgrounds of the show are animated at 30fps. The HorribleSubs webrip is cfr 24fps and it is extremely noticeable in any scene where the camera is moving at all. The HDTV rips are vfr with a max of 30fps, so it looks smooth like it’s supposed to rather than choppy.

Episodes 477-480:
My encodes from .ts I found on a Japanese file sharing network. They are 10-bit 30fps cfr until the episode preview at the end. On the original broadcast, they were cut short for some reason, so I edited them out and attached the Horriblesubs preview there instead. The Horriblesubs ending is 24fps and 8-bit, but it’s only like 20-30 seconds. It’s still better than having an incomplete preview imo. The reason I had to encode these was that the only 30fps raws I found were Chinese hardsubbed.

Episodes 481-516:
Funimation webrips 30fps 8-bit. The Funimation and Toei splashes are removed and the video is padded with between 24 and 28 frames of black video to sync properly to the audio. The webrips I found were all 3500kbps cbr which makes these files huge. There’s nothing I can do about that since I will never transcode a video and release it.

Basically for a while the show was apparently animated at 30fps, but most sources available, such as Crunchyroll were put out at 24fps, which led to choppiness. A similar issue was cited for Naruto Shippuuden which was why shaddrag formed his group WCP (WithoutChoppyPlayback) in which he opted to stick with HDTV caps cause of the fps issue with the WEBRips at the time.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gin said:

Urotsuki said they were planning to re-do the SOFCJ R2J 1-206. Not sure if they still are.

Well One Piece is one of the rare occurrences where comparisons showed the US DVDs were better than the R2J "Log" sets, which was why cloaknsmoke encoded the US DVD for 1-206.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2018 at 11:01 AM, Koby said:

Well One Piece is one of the rare occurrences where comparisons showed the US DVDs were better than the R2J "Log" sets, which was why cloaknsmoke encoded the US DVD for 1-206.

Yeah, The R1 are better than the cropped R2J log sets and the rentals but the R2J retail are better than all 3 and those are what SOFCJ used.

The comparisons you are talking about only compared R1, R2J log sets and the R2J rentals. The R2J retails were never compared.

Edited by Gin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pi7on said:

Thank you all guys, currently grabbing cloaknsmoke  S1v2.
Season 2 seems to be stuck at 55.2% ,and Season 3 torrent isn't in good shape either.

Any chance one of you can upload cloaknsmoke S2 (ep 154 to 143) on Mega?

They are on xdcc https://xdcc.kametsu.com/?search=cloaknsmoke one piece -720p

Edited by Gin
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...