Swords, Martial Arts and Dojos

Anras Rune

Well, considering how depressing the advice threads in the Balamb Café are atm, I thought I'd ask a few more happier questions!

Right, as most of you know, I moved to Australia about six months ago to attend uni. After moving I found it difficult to find any martial arts clubs for me to attend (which is very unfortunate considering Brisbane is a big uni town) as they all seemed to be the "bucks for belts" kinda crap that I have no respect for or any shred of interest in joining. But a few days back I discovered there is a group of like minded university students that are looking too set up a uni funded dojo for students and paying individuals.

Now, what they needed was teachers, so I gladly offered my services to teach Shotokan karate (I'm 2nd Dan, so my sensei back home would kill me for even offering...lol) at least for a while and if demand is high. But I also informed them of my fencing background and interest in learning some other traditional sword styles. It seems this went down very well with the other guys setting the dojo up, as Brisbane has a huge nerdy community (massive gaming scene, lots of other groups dedicated to different sci fi and fantasy things, etc etc) which would obviously jump at the idea of a sword school.

Here is the predicament. Considering I don't really know much Oriental sword styles (I know a little Jian Shu, some Iaido and a bit of Dao Shu) and I don't know what the laws are in importing swords in Aus, should I strive to go through with this? Should I just stick too what I know, like karate, fencing and other European sword styles? Or does all this sound like a bit of an ego stroking venture too you guys and think I'm getting in over my head?

On a side note, this thread would be awesome to discuss some things that haven't really been discussed on the forum before as far as I can tell. for instance, what is your stance on teaching weapon based combat? How about unfederated dojos? Heck, which is your favourite type of sword (I know that most will probably say katana in all, but some might have others) and why?

Also, if this is in the wrong section sorry!

Any kind of combat training is useful. Weapons are more limited though. It's good to know how to use them in a pinch, but if someone knows how to disarm you, and you don't know any unarmed fighting, you're screwed.

Favorite sword? Tough to say... Not Katana though. I'd want something smaller, easier to control, a good point for stabbing, as well as sharp cutting edges.

If we're talking just the look of the sword though.. I'd say a klingon Bat'leth. Perfect blend of form and function. Would be awkward to use one handed, but that's why we have two!

• 1 month later...

That would be a hard call, stay with something your good at or try something new and awesome! I have no weapon training and I am only a first level Blue belt for hwarangdo taekwondo but have since stopped training as I hurt myself pretty bad during training. I can't say what would be the best thing to do as I have no clue myself, me personally I would like to get into sword traning but I would most likley stick with something I am already advanced at.

My favourite sword is the katana, I believe it is a superior weapon which is crafted for ultimate perfection. I don't know what the swordd importing laws over here are like either.

• 4 weeks later...