My Computer (Future) Build

Alice

I've updated this because I no longer really need much advice anymore.  Also, Mink and I have a slightly bigger budget now.  Can't go bigger than what is on the updated list, because we want to put a good chunk into savings for emergencies...and we will be building this once we receive the money and then the parts once ordered, which will prolly be in about a month.

Anyways, here is the current list as of 01/27/13

Chassis-

NZXT M59 - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CPU-

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 

Motherboard-

ASRock Z77 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Hardrive-

Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

RAM-

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10B

Power Supply-

CORSAIR CX600M 600W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power

Graphics Card-

EVGA 02G-P4-3660-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

OS-

Windows 7 Home Premium

Misc-

Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel ...

PLEASE!!! ONLY REPLY IF YOU"RE REALLY KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT COMPUTER PARTS!

Thanks,
Dreamcastor

Edited by Dreamcastor

it will be cheaper to go with AMD, the one i would get is FX-8120

i built my computer with a amd processer, and i have not had any problems with it,

you would also need a power supply, CPU cooler , and memory i would recomend CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB

and some Arctic Silver, you will also need to pick out what kind of case you would want the COOLER MASTER has a great gaming case.

you can also look at Newegg and do some research on what you want

Edited by Guest

it will be cheaper to go with AMD, the one i would get is FX-8120

i built my computer with a amd processer, and i have not had any problems with it,

you would also need a power supply, CPU cooler , and memory i would recomend CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB

and some Arctic Silver, you will also need to pick out what kind of case you would want the COOLER MASTER has a great gaming case.

you can also look at Newegg and do some research on what you want

Most of the stuff you picked out is more expensive than what I've got linked above.

that cpu and motherboard are not compatible. i also suggest getting either a corsair or antec psu. coolermaster is ok, but i swear by corsair and antec.

the intel cpu with the best value:dollar ratio would likely be this.

for the motherboard, id recommend anything asus. like this. if you need cheaper, you could always drop down to a mini-atx board. but that limits your options for future upgrades. keep in mind you want the 1155 socket if you get the cpu i mentioned above.

ram is dirt cheap. not many people will use 12gb+, though it is a good idea to get plenty of it for future uses.

psu... as i said, corsair or antec. here's a corsair psu that is on special (around the same price for the 550watt version).

EDIT: question: have you already bought the gpu and hdd? if not, are those to be included in the budget?

Edited by JohnFlower

EDIT: question: have you already bought the gpu and hdd? if not, are those to be included in the budget?

I haven't actual bought them, but I have already picked the ones i want. They are to be included in the budget.

I picked out a new Motherboard CPU Combo. This one should work together. Plus, its Intel. I know AMD is good too, but I'd rather have Intel.

Edited by Dreamcastor

I haven't actual bought them, but I have already picked the ones i want. They are to be included in the budget.

if that's the case, you have ~50USD to spend on a case, ram and a bluray reader (i suggest you get bluray, instead of just dvd). might have to chose a cheaper cpu, or go the amd route.

if you get this cpu instead, it leaves you ~90USD to spend on the things mentioned above. still not enough really. to get a cheap gaming system, you will eventually need to look into an amd build. there aren't many cheap intel options without loosing performance. amd is great for budget price:performance systems, but as i said, i will tell you go to intel... because i'm an intel fanboy.

if you could spare another 50USD, you might scrape by. as i said, ram is dirt cheap, and you can pick up 8gb for ~50USD. that leaves you 90USD to spend on a case and if needed, a dvd writer. you could always drop the dvd writer for now and save up more money to buy a bluray reader latter on. you can install windows off of a usb stick. this way, you could get the beefier cpu.

I have no need for bluray thou. I don't own any blurays, and not really interested in starting a bluray collection. Plus, the cpu I picked out is much cheaper.

ah, you updated your system. didn't notice.

yes, it is much cheaper due to being only a dual core. both the ones i have mentioned are quad cores. you can go with that i3, but it doesn't perform anywhere near that of a quad (i5-3570 vs i3-2120). for the games you're going to play i doubt you will need much cpu power, but it is better to get more than what you need now incase you need it in the future.

EDIT: here's a better comaprison.

Edited by JohnFlower

I have no need for bluray thou. I don't own any blurays, and not really interested in starting a bluray collection. Plus, the cpu I picked out is much cheaper.

ah, you updated your system. didn't notice.

yes, it is much cheaper due to being only a dual core. both the ones i have mentioned are quad cores. you can go with that i3, but it doesn't perform anywhere near that of a quad (i5-3570 vs i3-2120). for the games you're going to play i doubt you will need much cpu power, but it is better to get more than what you need now incase you need it in the future.

Well, I can always upgrade in the future if need be, but I don't plan on running anything much more than that. You never know, thou, as said I can always upgrade in the future. I just need just enough to get by.

Well, I can always upgrade in the future if need be, but I don't plan on running anything much more than that. You never know, thou, as said I can always upgrade in the future. I just need just enough to get by.

problem with that is the 1155 socket wont be around forever. just like the old 1366 socket. you'll be hard pressed to find un-used cpus for those motherboards. if you do, they will be more expensive than their newer rivals. in the long run, it's cheaper to get a decent system now than to be constantly upgrading and spending more money.

as for the bluray drive, if you are absolutely sure you wont want bluray in the future (ripping, watching blurays), then get a decent dvd writer. i suggest LG, like this one.

problem with that is the 1155 socket wont be around forever. just like the old 1366 socket. you'll be hard pressed to find un-used cpus for those motherboards. if you do, they will be more expensive than their newer rivals. in the long run, it's cheaper to get a decent system now than to be constantly upgrading and spending more money.

as for the bluray drive, if you are absolutely sure you wont want bluray in the future (ripping, watching blurays), then get a decent dvd writer. i suggest LG, like this one.

It may be cheaper in the long run but I'm going to be working with very limited money for this current project. I have needs for the rest of the money from tax returns. Like debt, baby stuff, and general life needs. When the time comes I'll upgrade both of them, but I don't see me needing running more than what I've picked. What you linked is far too expensive for me to get for this project.

As for the dvd writer...that's not bad. I don't see any need for blurays, I like my dvds just fine.

Edited by Dreamcastor

far too expensive? you said your budget is under $750, i am yet to go over it :). you can always get a cheaper motherboard like the one you have picked, along with a quad core cpu. as long as its 1155, it will work. though i do recommend aiming for the z77 chipset as it offers more options for future upgrades (if you keep the motherboard). here is an asus micro-atx board, shaving off another $20. if that's still too expensive, there are cheaper boards with different chipsets, like this. keep in mind, the cheaper the board, the less features you will have, and less options in the future.

I would have to agree with JohnFlower on the Core i5 issue, but the Core i3 should be enough if you can't afford the i5. However, I would like to recommend a different mobo. The intel mobo you currently have picked out doesn't really match the ram and gpu listed above. I'd also recommend getting some of the Arctic Sliver that inuyasha211 mentioned above. The only other suggestion I might make is a cheaper case, but I have no real reason for recommending it other than it being cheaper.

p.s. I used newegg links because the info amazon offers is pretty weak.

I'd try to watch a few web videos or something before you try building yours. Stuff like installing the cpu/heatsink can get tricky at times, and they damage easy. I'd also try rebuilding an older PC you don't need anymore before you start playing with brand new hardware. It won't hurt as much if you get it wrong.