Encoding & Converting

seirachan

remember mp4 and mkv are just containers..so depending on encoding settings of codec..you can just remux mkv to mp4..most portable devices like ipods and such play mp4's when encoded with no b-frames and on baseline profile i think..so some mp4 wont play on portable stuff like ipods..

I would probably use AVS4U Converter, however you have to buy it otherwise it will leave a mark right in the middle of your video. Use something like a high quality video converter to do so. Try converting the video to a better format if available at the time.

avisynth wont do it becuz it does no actual encoding..it allows you to use scripts to add filters and a bunch of other stuff..but it does not convert or encode..say mkv is encoded with x264..use mkvextract to get the video and audio..then remux into mp4..that would only take you a couple of minutes..unless you are trying to change some settings in x264 you would have to re encode or convert it..

I'm still learning but from what I do know azdave is right. All avisynth really seems to be is a frame server for other programs to use. It basically takes an input file and applies the user defined filters you specify then outputs the video to be either encoded, edited, or displayed.

The quick way to change mkv to mp4 is the demux/remux method that has already been mentioned. The yamb program koby mentioned will take an mkv input file and do the demux/remux operations for you. The only problems with it are that it doesn't seem to support subs like .ass, so you may have to merge those separately. If you try to use it on a vfr(variable frame rate) video like you might get if you use handbrake's same as source fps feature. You could end up with audio/video sync issues, if yamb accepts the video at all, because from what I've read it isn't suppose to work with VFR sources.

I tried yamb before on a video I was sure was VFR and it worked fine but I just did another one to check and know I'm getting the sync errors. I'll use some of my other HB encodes to play with it some more, but I'm starting to think the documentation was right.

That may have been where you were seeing avisynth mentioned, because when I researched this problem before. It came back with some scripts for avisynth that would create a timecode file to use when muxing the file to fix the syncing errors.

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking to convert the format .ogm to .mkv

The .ogm is being used for a series that I want and it's dual-audio, but I would like it in .mkv and to keep the dual-audio... I have "any-video-converter professional" but I'm not sure how (or if it can) convert dual-audio. If it can, could someone please tell me how? and if it can't could someone recommend a good free converter that can do the job? Please and thank you for your time and usage of your brain power:smile:

There isn't really any need for the switch. They are both about the same and can be played on the same things. OGM is more or less like an older version of MKV though it really isn't.

Though if you want to switch it over there isn't any coding needed. Just use mkvtoolnix to remux to the mkv container. Takes about 30 seconds to complete.

Latest Download: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/win32/mkvtoolnix-unicode-4.8.0-setup.exe

MKVtoolnix is your go-to program for muxing things into the mkv container.

There isn't really any need for the switch. They are both about the same and can be played on the same things. OGM is more or less like an older version of MKV though it really isn't.

Though if you want to switch it over there isn't any coding needed. Just use mkvtoolnix to remux to the mkv container. Takes about 30 seconds to complete.

Latest Download: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/win32/mkvtoolnix-unicode-4.8.0-setup.exe

MKVtoolnix is your go-to program for muxing things into the mkv container.

Yeah My fraps recorded files are HUGE so I REALLY need to convert them. But I can't use Bittorrent and I just want something simple. Like Total Video Converter was my last one, It was simple and it got the job done. If anyone can find me any direct downloads of that it would be perfect but If not I need something similar.