Encoding & Converting

seirachan

I read the older topics but it didn't say if the converters let you pick what audio track or subtitles you want. I mostly just need to convert mkv files so I need a program that will let me select what audio track or subtitles I want. If it can convert other files that would be an added bonus.

I really don't wanna use bittorrent to download anything. I can't play any online games if i do use it. It just messes up my internet connection and it has to fix on it's own. But if i really have too I will, just hope it fixes itself in one day.

If converting to MKV is your goal then a gui frontend for MEncoder is probably what you want. There is more then one but AutoMen is the one I've seen mentioned in these boards. I've tried it in the past but never could get it to work right. Another alternative is Handbrake, which is the one I use for converting DVDs to MKV. It works alright for DVDs and meg2 but I haven't had much luck with Downloaded MKV though, and I refuse to have anything to do with avi.

I think MEncoder with a gui would work best for you but I'm not sure how they do with audio and subs. I know they will allow you to select between them but not sure how many you can add to the MKV file. This is the only place I really give Handrake any credit because it will let you add more then one audio and sub to the MKV file. Most I've added to date is 4 audio and 6 subs.

If you want to convert MKV into something else MediaCoder is probably what you want. It isn't easy to use but once you tame it, it will take anything you through at it.

Hope this helps any questions just ask. I also put links to the three I mentioned below.

AutoMen

Handbrake

MediaCoder

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You could also try Yamb, it requires mp4box which you have to dl separately. It isn't really a converter but it will demux mkv and remux into mp4 file. This means you don't have to worry about a loss in quality. Only downside is that it may not support your sub tracks or the chapter format your mkv file is using. Other sources are here and here.

• 2 weeks later...

There's no such thing as a perfect conversion. The best you could get would be to demux the mkv and then remux it into a mp4, but you could have a very hard time getting the video and audio to sync right. There was a program called yamb that I played with for a different thread but it doesn't support .ass subs which is what most people encoding anime use. You could use a program like subtitle edit to convert the .ass to .srt which is supported by yamb but you might loose some features in the subs because .srt might not support them.

If you run the mkv through a converter/encoder you will loose some quality, that is unavoidable.

I got given this http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q2IDOU5P

mkvmerge GUI is not required only use it if you want to pick what subtitles you want or to get rid of them, otherwise just use the converter, simple and easy.

How to use mkvmerge GUI:

"Ok, this is all I know because I only have used it for choosing the audio.

Open the program, In "Input Files:" box there is a button "Add to the right, click add and choose the program with the dual audio, then the box under "Input Files:" there is another box that reads "Tracks, Chapters and Tags:" and in that box there should be serveral file types with boxes checked to their left. 2 of them should be "Audio' files, if you high light one, under the box, it should say "English Dubbed Audio" or "Japanese Original Audio". in the "Tracks, Chapters and Tags:", uncheck the box of the Audio you do not want and after you have done that, there is a "Outputfile" close to the bottom, "browse" for where you want your finished file to be copied at and at the bottom there are 3 buttons, click on "Starts Mixing" and it will make a copy with the audio you want. Watch the video and make sure your video has the correct Audio and you are done. "