Encoding & Converting

seirachan

I'd recommend WinAvi Video Converter.

It's not hard to find it on the web and if you have any troubles unlocking it just shoot me a pm. I won't talk about anything uneccesary here though seeing as I'm sure thats against the rules.

It's pretty clean all-in-all and you also have the built in menu creator that comes with it which is perfect in case you decide to burn some of what your going to convert, good solid conversions from most major formats. I've been using it for quite some time now and it's never done me wrong.

Handbrake(click the word for the website, it's BBCode) is also a nice project worth looking into.

EDIT: didn't even see the admin above me post a link to handbreak lol.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I read the older topics but it didn't say if the converters let you pick what audio track or subtitles you want. I mostly just need to convert mkv files so I need a program that will let me select what audio track or subtitles I want. If it can convert other files that would be an added bonus.

I really don't wanna use bittorrent to download anything. I can't play any online games if i do use it. It just messes up my internet connection and it has to fix on it's own. But if i really have too I will, just hope it fixes itself in one day.

I have been using rer mkv tool to convert mkv files to other formats I need. I can select the audio track and subtitles easily by clicking "Advanced" button. It is also easy to download and no need to do it by bittorrent. It seems that it can only convert mkv files, but they have other products.

u can find you need on their website:

http://www.rersoft.com/video/mkv-converter.html

i would just download mkvtoolnix and use mkv extract to extract whatever tracks you want..then use megui or some other program to mux into mp4..rather than converting..depending on whatt file container you want i.e. .mp4 .avi..and what device you want to play files on..if encoding settings need to be changed in this case converting would be necessary...

• 4 weeks later...

Ive finally given up on trying to use handbrake, Ive been trying for the past 3 days to add hard subs to a video. I would import the .srt set it as default and burned in but I would never get the subs to display on my PSP, yet in VLC they are on as soon as the video starts to play. I can't add the video in virtual dub because its .mkv and VD doesn't support the extension.

So Im open to any suggestions to video program I can size videos to play on my PSP add subtitles, and be decent in speed. I could convert using Any Video Converter but I don't want to wait 5+ hours converting in real time just to watch a 30 min tv show every week.

^ Aegisub is used to create subs only. It doesn't support encoding anything.

If you know how to hardsub using VD then you can use this plugin to make VD load virtually any formats http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/DShowInputDriver-0.8.zip

Or you might try http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AviDemux or http://www.videohelp.com/tools/XviD4PSP.

I usually use avisynth + plugins (like VSFilter for hardsub) + <some encoders to encode>.

^ Aegisub is used to create subs only. It doesn't support encoding anything.

If you know how to hardsub using VD then you can use this plugin to make VD load virtually any formats http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/DShowInputDriver-0.8.zip

Or you might try http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AviDemux or http://www.videohelp.com/tools/XviD4PSP.

I usually use avisynth + plugins (like VSFilter for hardsub) + <some encoders to encode>.

Thanks I'll try the VD plug in since its easy I just have to encode the files into 480 x 272 so it can play on my PSP. Thankfully I have it on CFW so I can use PMPlayer to play .mkv, m4v, .mkv, etc as long as its the right size.

Edit: Where do I place the VD plugin from the link? I put it in the plug-in folder with the subtitle plug in and got an error.

I agree with dreamer2908, if you know vdub then just skip handbrake and go straight to avisynth . I would recommend using AvsP for creating the scripts and MeGUI to handle the encoding. The plugins I think you'll need for mkv and subs is FFMS2 and VSFliter. A place to check out the filters available is here or here. I believe a few can also be downloaded from there as well but the rest you'll probably have to find on doom9.

I agree with dreamer2908, if you know vdub then just skip handbrake and go straight to avisynth . I would recommend using AvsP for creating the scripts and MeGUI to handle the encoding. The plugins I think you'll need for mkv and subs is FFMS2 and VSFliter. A place to check out the filters available is here or here. I believe a few can also be downloaded from there as well but the rest you'll probably have to find on doom9.

Well I have to shrink the video from 680 x 480 or 1280 x 720 to 480 x 272 for my PSP to play the videos. I added subtitles to Gothic and Lolita Psycho in VD and forgot to change the frame specs and got unsupported data, then used handbrake to resize it only for the subs to be taken out. Plus after handbrake it put it in an unsupported VD format so I couldn't add subs to it afterwards.

EDIT: I just have to figure out where to add in the mod file and I think Im ready to go to be honest.

You can shrink in avisynth as well using filters that are already built into avisynth. Lanczos4Resize and Spline64Resize are the best plugins for resizing imo. Handbrake is a good program for beginners but it doesn't do a very good job of deinterlacing and has no fliters what so ever for sharping. If you want the best possible video you can get then you'll need something more then handbrake, it just isn't there yet. There is an easier to use version of MeGUI called Staxrip. It doesn't come with all the extra programs but I believe it will still require avisynth scripts.

Edit: To encode with megui you must have a avisynth script or else it will spit out errors. It comes with a built in script creator which I use for finding the best deinterlacer using it's analysis tool, but after that I do everything in AvsP.

I guess it can't hurt to try AviSynth with VSFilter but Im keeping handbrake as my encoder cause I like it. I just have to 2 encode pass videos cause at 400 bitrate its a big difference in how the video looks and it saves me a ton of MBs.

Edit: Just uninstalled avisynth too confusing with lines that I would have to change each time I wanted to encode a video.

Ok so I'm trying to convert my DBZ episodes to avi so I can burn them onto a DVD and watch them on my DVD player but i would like to know whats the best mkv to avi/mp4 converter.

But if there is a way I can do this with out having to convert the episodes to avi/mp4 please do help me, cause it will take quite some time to remove the extra 2 audio file from the videos.