Encoding & Converting

seirachan

It feels like I have tried every video converter under the sun; I watch my videos on the 360 and have to convert just about everything:(

But I'd have to say that handbrake is excellent-although I have had problems with it cropping videos too much, resulting in a 'zoomed in' effect.

Another good one is 'Any Video Converter' its absolutely free and has all the features and subtitle support many other converters lack.

• 4 weeks later...

You can remux them from MKV to AVI, there is no such thing as converting mkv to avi, since they are both container files. Besides remuxing them is a lot faster than re-encoding and no quality lost. Also someone else can fill in the details since I can't be bothered (also I don't never tried doing MKV to AVI, so not the correct person to ask), if you said MKV to MP4 I can help you out with which program to use and how to use it.

I only recommend this method for people that really don't care about how much memory space a video takes up.

http://www.videotoolbox.com/

you'll have to create an account, it's free (though you can go premium for more space), and after you upload the video onto the site check it & select Convert selected video, Go advanced select the output format you need, then the video codec, select the resolution you require, select the highest video bitrate and the highest fps setting, the choose your audio codec, choose the highest sampling frequency, the highest audio bitrate and audio channel, then click convert.

Dose anyone know of a decent media file format converter which converts MKV to AVI?

AVI can technically be muxed with a h264. However you have to find an appropriate splitter. Good luck with that. My biggest question is why do you want to take a perfectly good mkv and make it into an outdated container that has too many limitations. MKV will be the superior video file container. If you want to play it on a xbox 360/PS3, you need to MUX it into a MP4. If that isn't the case, then give mkv a chance.