Birth days not so happy...

VahnDelfire

Is it just me or after a certain age, we stop being so excited about our birthdays as we used to be especially if you do a lot of the mile stone things that a birthday holds. things such as smoke, drive or drink and you notice it seems more like your average day then anything else Kametsu what is your thoughts on this???

Birthdays died for me a long time ago. I've never cared about getting drunk or anything people consider to be "normal" on a birthday. The only thing I like is to sit down and play video games but I never got the chance too. Now I don't even have any friends to do that with. Now it's just an excuse to buy myself a cake. mmm cake.

But my older brother on the other hand was being a big baby cause he didn't get much for his b-day and no one bought him a cake so he got himself a little cake and told everyone they can't have any.. what a big baby lol.

well to be honest birthdays were never there for me. I never had any friends till I was 13 or so so it was just a day to get a gift from my mom or dad before they separated(which didn't affect me at all).

"I like to put on a festive hat and celebrate that the Earth managed to spin around the Sun one more time. I didn't think it was gonna make it this year, but if it wasn't The Little Planet That Could." Gregory House

But yes, they do lose a lot of significance as you grow older, much like anything else. I still like to go out to my favorite Mexican restaurant on my birthday, but other than that, I treat it like a normal day, including working an 11:30 p.m. closing shift my last birthday.

Come on, what's with the long faces?

Birthdays are the one day in 365 when you have a FREE PASS!

Over here, birthdays are considered really holy if you believe and it's not appropriate for anyone to make the "Birthday Kid" feel bad, unless they do some MAJOR criminal stuff.

I turned 18 last year and i used that to my full advantage. I skipped school with my friends, went to watch a movie with my P.E. teacher who gave us a ride and afterwards we had a lunch at McDonalds where we really made a lot of noise - the kind of noise that'll cause people to give you stares.

I dunno why, maybe it's some primate instinct for humans to scream and let all the anger they've been suppressing out.

This year, i plan on getting out of the house before everyone wakes and go to the local park, where i'll like down on a bench and just lie there. afterwards, i'll call my old friends from school and we'll go have a blast - i dunno what, cuz that's the fun of it, doing everything IN the moment, where you wanna go, who's gonna pay, etc.

So, no i disagree with the fact that birthdays aren't happy anymore for everyone.

Happiness is a thing that can't be bought. you have to put an effort into it.

Meh, I quit caring about birthdays a long time ago. An uncle asked me how it felt to be 18 on that particular birthday, and the most I could muster was an apathetic "Same as I felt at 17." I'm just satisfied if I happen to get the night off from work for it so I can watch a movie or something.

• 2 months later...

Birthdays are only what you make them out to be, if you're a downer and choose not to enjoy it then it'll be lame and probably progressively lamer the older your get. For me though, every birthday is like a freaking Oktoberfest gone wild in which I am the king of the world and that's the way I think it should be. Don't let birthdays only be about the fact that you're getting one year closer to death, but celebrate that you got one day out of the whole year totally centered on you so celebrate and have a great time no matter what.

Birthdays can be good, or bad depending on how you feel about them. If you're depressed about getting older, of course your birthday is going to suck. If you're happy about it, then it will be good.

As for me, birthdays have always been something to look forward to. This year should be even better than usual because I have someone to share it with ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

For me, when I was younger, birthdays were great. I'd get to see family I haven't seen for a while and all that stuff. And of course, the presents keep the birthday girl or boy busy! But now that I am older, I don't see much in birthdays, I don't have parties, just me and my family have a cake together. Presents from people are rare though, and yet when I do receive presents, it's mostly money and stuff.

I haven't celebrated my birthday much. Only about thrice I think and that was at ages 5, 6 and 10. From age 11 to my teenage years I think I almost forgot the day I was born because no one was bothered, not even my family. But lately, it has been much better because of the people who actually do stuff for me and show me they care.

Come on, what's with the long faces?

Birthdays are the one day in 365 when you have a FREE PASS!

So, no i disagree with the fact that birthdays aren't happy anymore for everyone.

Happiness is a thing that can't be bought. you have to put an effort into it.

God I agree so hard. Birthdays are never unfun for me. My parents and I always go out to a nice restaurant, and I usually get a nice present, and then I go out with friends and do crazy shit I probably can't talk about legally. I haven't gotten a toy for my birthday for about 7 years, It's been electronics or money for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Birthdays can be good, or bad depending on how you feel about them. If you're depressed about getting older, of course your birthday is going to suck. If you're happy about it, then it will be good.

As for me, birthdays have always been something to look forward to. This year should be even better than usual because I have someone to share it with ^_^

I like this. I totally agree. And besides, B-days are about one thig and one thing only. Its the on eday everyone around you can at least say one thing "Happy Birthday."

It's kind of scary really, I used to enjoy my birthdays but ever since I started thinking about it this is what came to my mind, why do I celebrate the fact that I'm coming closer to death now that my years in life are gradually coming down. Imo birthdays are cool but not when that birthday will the last that you celebrate.

While I find the whole idea of celebrating someone's birthday confusing, it doesn't mean that I don't take advantage of the social norms that surround the event. As some have already mentioned, birthdays are what you make of them, so make sure to enjoy them when you have them - afterall, they do come only once a year.

If anything, the idea to help make someone have a fantastic day and feel special is what this day is really about, and is an idea with which I completely agree. If you wish to have a birthday to remember, you need to remember that others have the same occasion to celebrate. So go out and help others have the same when their birthdays come around, otherwise we'll have a world of depressed individuals and nobody wants that (well governments do. . . ).