Should Post Count be Removed in SeeD Hallway?

Koby

Should Post Count be turned off in SeeD Hallway?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Should Post Count be turned off in SeeD Hallway?

I ask this question because so many people seem to spam it just to gain access to the downloads. Many people go and copy/paste the same message into threads about people who joined way before they did as a quick and easy way to leech access to the downloads.

I also feel that some other users use it as a simple way of looking to be active. As I've noticed a couple users with near 200 posts all of which has been done in the SeeD Hallway over time and they don't really post elsewhere. Sometimes I login to see one person posted in 30+ intros just saying the same thing.

So I am really considering removing post count in that section and want to hear what others think about it.

I think it's a good idea it may keep the spam level down a bit at least in that section and it's not something that needs to be shown in post count like contributing to the site by Uploading or posting Interesting threads starting a conversation in anime discussion for example. the only downside i can think of is new users asking why there post count is still at 0.

I always feel bad when I see that people just say the exact same thing to every new member. it's very impersonal and just doesn't look like they even care about welcoming the new member. they are just doing it to get post counts or something. if yer that lazy and careless, why bother welcoming at all? if you want to welcome someone, then take the time to actually type something personal to them! just my personal thoughts on that issue...

I think post count should be turned off in the SeeD hallway. people can really use it to try to make themselves look like "important" members, when they are really just posting nonsense. post count doesn't matter to me at all, but some people are really worried about their numbers. just post when you can and be a good member. having post count in that area of the forums aren't really doing anything good for us.

Elsch seconds the idea of upping the post count. especially after reading Koby's thoughts of : if you want to download our anime, contribute to the forums. 5 is just asking for spam. people know they cannot spam their way to 15 or even 20 posts.

I don't think it would work...

I think that stopping the post count in SeeD will increase the spread of it in the other areas.

I was thinking more along the idea of a word limit... something like ten words or more to count as a post. People will still be able to write "Wow thanks for the upload" and post it... but it would not count as a proper post... if you understand what I mean...

Perhaps there could be a different way for new members to be able to access the downloads section without needing a certain number of posts... but I'm not really sure what :\... Something that would show that they are legit users and not just here to leech. I'll try to think of something and let you know if I'm able to come up with anything. Maybe something along the lines of how old their account is and how many posts that they have gotten in that amount of time. I'm not sure just a quick thought XD...

EDIT: I voted yes by the way :P

Well, you will have spammers in other areas whether you turn off post count in Seed Hallway or not. But I think that Seed shouldn't be used just to get a certain number of posts. And it is really ridiculus to see how some new members are greeting the old ones. Lol... So I am voting 'yes'.

Perhaps there could be a different way for new members to be able to access the downloads section without needing a certain number of posts... but I'm not really sure what :\... Something that would show that they are legit users and not just here to leech. I'll try to think of something and let you know if I'm able to come up with anything. Maybe something along the lines of how old their account is and how many posts that they have gotten in that amount of time. I'm not sure just a quick thought XD...

EDIT: I voted yes by the way :P

Could it be a Private Message to any from the moderators? For instance, every new member should write a note like in the SeeD hallway, but only private. After that the Mod is to decide whether to let him\her to the downloads or not. Like an interview. That won't solve the problem completely, I know, but at least will cut off the most stupid spammers who can't put two words together.

Could it be a Private Message to any from the moderators? For instance, every new member should write a note like in the SeeD hallway, but only private. After that the Mod is to decide whether to let him\her to the downloads or not. Like an interview. That won't solve the problem completely, I know, but at least will cut off the most stupid spammers who can't put two words together.

ugh you realize how much work that would put on the mods? it might cut down on the spammers but jeez the amount of work it would put on the mods wouldnt be worth it epecially as site traffick increased but yes i think we should remove post count in SeeD hallway too i usually stay out of there but i have seen the abuse thats been done i kinda gave up looking round there when 90% of all opening posts is hi im new and i like this most just being one liner introductions

I like the post count it shows how much i posted and i like seeing that.

That's fine but this is about whether we should remove it from SeeD hallway not remove it altogether so if Koby does it, posts in SeeD Hallway won't add to the post count just like posts in forum games don't add to your post count. your post count would still advance everywhere else (when you upload, post a thread in entertainment, etc)

I also notice in almost EVERY introduction topic I see, someone always tells people not to spam post 5 posts to get to the download section. Not spamming should be obvious as it's in the rules. It's kind of rude to the new members to pretty much accuse them as soon as they get here.

The thing is (to the ones not seeing why I am considering it), yeah it might bring spam to other sections, but it's more noticeable when it's elsewhere in the forum. As for the spam in the intros, they can easily copy/paste the same message to 5 threads and get access and it's harder to determine it as spam, compared to say trying to copy/paste the same message in other sections.. it just doesn't work.

By removing postcount gain in SeeD Hallway it ensures they have to post in other sections besides there because they cannot advance to gaining access to downloads by posting in the SeeD Hallway. So spamming intros with the same message will no longer work, and it'll be easier to catch the spam in other sections.

I beleive in the little opinion i do share that this is a very good idea, more likely than not the ones who will be active will probaly be willing to give an intro even without the post counting, besides most of what i have seen spam wise shows up here because it is easier to get away with, I mean granted many members welcome newbies to the forum but i think it is spamming when a member just joined and they are digging up old post from members that have been here longer and posting hi in them. If the post count is gone i dont think it would hurt or affect anybody that is or plans to be an active and contributing member. I mean i dont think any of the members will mind if they are saying hello to new members just to say hello. But the main thing is it would help with the spammers, and most certainly if other topics come up in other parts of the forum the active members will easily stumble upon it and report it, at least thats my opinion.

I don't think it would work...

I think that stopping the post count in SeeD will increase the spread of it in the other areas.

I was thinking more along the idea of a word limit... something like ten words or more to count as a post. People will still be able to write "Wow thanks for the upload" and post it... but it would not count as a proper post... if you understand what I mean...

We actually already have a word limit, not sure if you've noticed.

I've noticed a couple people who say the exact same thing to every new member's introduction. I think the admin (koby) should be the only one that's permitted to copy and paste the same message to everyone. but other than that, using the same message should be considered spam by anyone else.

Post count is no longer updated in SeeD Hallway. But I didn't re-cache the post counts so people who posted in there before their post count for those still exist. I could have restored it so it would remove all posts from the SeeD Hallway from everyones postcount but I decided against it.