Producers: Madhouse Studios

Genres: Action, Adventure, Shounen, Super Power

Duration: 23 minutes

Rating: PG-13 - Teens 13 or older

Official Site: http://www.ntv.co.jp/hunterhunter/

Opening Theme #01: "Departure" by GALNERYUS

Ending Theme #01: "Just Awake" by Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas

SYPNOSIS

Remake of the 1999 TV series of Hunter x Hunter based on the manga by Togashi Yoshihiro.

A Hunter is one who travels the world doing all sorts of dangerous tasks. From capturing criminals to searching deep within uncharted lands for any lost treasures. Gon is a young boy whose father disappeared long ago, being a Hunter. He believes if he could also follow his father's path, he could one day reunite with him.

After becoming 12, Gon leaves his home and takes on the task of entering the Hunter exam, notorious for its low success rate and high probability of death to become an official Hunter. He befriends the revenge-driven Kurapica, the doctor-to-be Leorio and the rebellious ex-assassin Killua in the exam, with their friendship prevailing throughout the many trials and threats they come upon taking on the dangerous career of a Hunter.

I've actually not started this yet. I loved the old series, it would be considered one of my favorite Shounen. The reason I haven't started it yet is I'm waiting for it to get further and then I'm going to marathon it-- I might just wait till it gets to Greed Island before doing so or at least York New. Anyhow despite not having started watching the new remake I have been skimming through episodes to see if I notice anything different and such.

Gotta say I really like the opening and the ending songs. Although not sure why in the opening everyone is running towards Heavens Arena; only Killua and Gon go, and that’s still lots of episodes away. Nearly all of the character designs look extremely close to the original ones, except for Menchi’s lime green hair (it was pink in the original). Perhaps Togashi always wanted it green and NipponAni just screwed it up similar to how they had originally made Hisoka’s hair bluish-silver when it was really red.

Mito suppose to be in her late 20's I thought, but she sounds way to old here. The Master of the Swamp does not look freaky at all. Why did they do this? The design looks similar to the manga, but sky blue, really? They modernized Gon’s house. It’s supposed to be built out of a tree, but now it looks just like any ordinary house. The background music is terrible. It never fit the scenes well and seemed pretty generic.

They removed or rather didn't add Kite in the beginning. He was an integral part of Gon’s wanting to find his father. Without meeting Kite, Gon would have never known what a “Hunter” was or that Ging was even alive. They added some stupid catchphrase “I’m going to be the best Hunter in the world!” — really? Going to be the best Pokemon Master! King of the Pirates! The Hokage! They didn’t need to add this into the series.

What's the point in remaking a series, speeding up the pace, removing the early filler to follow the manga closer, but then adding a filler character such as Katsuo?

They've changed the Kiriko’s human form. He had a turban in the manga and original series. Now, he looks like his son. Hisoka doesn’t make somebody’s arm disappear/cut them off… he makes them turn into flowers! WTF is this shit? Really retarded censoring.

Killua's new voice just doesn't seem as good as the original. It sounds rather generic. In episode three they made the tunnel using shitty CGI and it looks terrible. They’ve kept the character designs closer to the original anime than the manga. It’s especially noticeable on Bodoro. Seriously. Look at his design in the manga — it’s completely different.

So far it seems like the filler of the original series is actually what gave everything more depth, meaning, and emotion. They developed the characters a bit better and such. In the new series it seems to just be rushing along as I kind of figured it would.

In episode four Gon’s reason for becoming a Hunter is once again shortened. In the manga, he brings up meeting Kite, but since that was cut in the new anime, he only says that he wants to become like his father, instead of trying to find his father like in the manga. Killua then makes a joke about how that’s weird, similar to how Mito did in the first episode. It’s not terrible, but I still really think that they should have left Kite in. It gives a solid ground for his sudden urge to find his father/become like his father.

Hisoka seems lame in this new adaption. In the first series, Hisoka really had this air around him of being a menace. While in this new adaption he seems to be more of just a generic villian at this point. I mean, heck, he looked like he was about to get an orgasm when he grabbed Gon.

A good remake of the original although the censorship is a bit over the top. E.g. Hisoka cutting off people hands is a magic trick but no blood or gore. Also was disappointed when killua killed those two men on the exam blimp (it was badass in the manga) but in the new anime it was done from looking through a window :(. Apart from that the voices are great (still getting used to Hisoka's new voice) and the graphics and OP and ED are awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

what's the point of the remake? I guess the only point is to extend it to where the manga is at the moment and make it ongoing?

to be honest, i did not like how the manga developed after the part the original anime covers. Thus, creating it again is probably going to be a failure since it won't really add anything to it

• 2 weeks later...

Well I watched episode 10 the other day. It covers up to the events of episode 15 of the original anime. So they haven't really sped it up much when you consider they've removed the filler and some other canon material. I've actually gotten use to the voices thankfully. Killua's (my favorite character in the series) voice has either improved or just grown on me. Hisoka's personality seems to have changed compared to the original series, and not for the better. He seems a lot more generic and doesn't really have the aurora he once had. Over all though I'm enjoying this series. I'm just worried they might keep censoring/editing things down to a lower rating like they did with dissolving a guy's arm into flowers rather than simply being cut off. Other then that... I'm anxious for them to get caught up to the York Shin (or York New if you follow Viz Media's terms) arc and then finish up with Greed Island so we can see some new arcs.

i dunt noe y they did a remake on this anime? i mean i would prefer they finish the original one first.

It's because they wanted to continue the story obviously, but the anime was like 11 years old. The best way to revive it would be to start over because then not only would old fans return but they'd have a chance to draw in new fans easier. That and well it's a whole different animation studio doing this adaptation so things will be a little different compared to the original, including the entire cast having new voices.

• 2 weeks later...
It's going well so far, almost feels like they've got jet-boots on though because this time they are flying through the story.

It's great picking out little bits you remember from the original :)

It's only on episode 11 compared to episode 16 of the original and most of the difference is from removal of the additional filler added to the original. For the most part the pacing isn't changed. There is a bit here in there that is faster, but there are also parts that are slower.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...