Anime that has gotten people into anime

Vael

alright the thread is fairly simple

is there an anime that you have used to get a friend into anime?

or what do you think would be a good anime to get people started?

my friend was one of those "anime is stupid and for kids" then my genius of a friend introduce him to gundam 00 somehow, and now he can't stop talking about how awesome it is and is getting everyone else in the group to check it out. (he's one of those guys that, see's something, then thinks all of it's like that, and he saw another friend look at some weird anime and thought that's what it all is like, sometimes he's stupid like that)

you guy got any stories like this?

if so post em here

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine was Seto no Hanayome. A friend showed it to me (all I had seen before that was 4Kids's Pokemon) and I loved it. I recently got to enjoy watching the English dub of it by Funimation.

If you have no idea what the friend likes, but want to see what they think of anime, I'd just start picking up a show that currently running and see what they think.

Well almost everyone I know offline that has either watched one anime or got into anime all started on the same anime, including me and that was Dragon Ball Z. Then again I remember seeing Speed Racer as a kid as well. It's just at the time I didn't know Speed Racer was an anime.

I haven't tried introducing others to Anime since, but if I was, I'd do so with something that isn't full of fan-service or otaku-rads. I'd probably use something that isn't way over the top either. Most likely something full of action and maybe even cussing. It'd definitely have to be dubbed since I wouldn't expect them to try to read subtitles. Hmm.. I'd probably say shows like Black Lagoon, Eureka Seven, Outlaw Star, etc.

I used Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal. It's a completely serious side of anime that people don't tend to see, especially since if by chance they have seen the series that goes with it, which was aired on Toonami back in the day, it was much less mature (lots of fighting but no killing). The only downside to using this is that the you can't appreciate the violence of the main character without having first seen him as the pacifist he is in the main series. However, since its a prequel, it works pretty well. Lastly, its a movie, which is easier to get someone to sit down and watch.

Haha, yes quite alot of my friends are like that, although I found out alot of them also like it just from asking around. Anyway, one series that got one of my friends into anime was outlaw star which is still one of my favorite of all time. And for those who absolutely wont watch anime, I show them fourstar's DBZ abridged series and they find it hilarious

I would have to say Samurai Champloo is a good one to get people started who are in their teens and older because it has essential elements in it that will catch almost anyones interest. Violence, sex, swearing, humor, and its not over the top fake. Plus its fairly modern so they wont seem alienated watching it because they will have more to relate to.

I'm probably gonna sound my age, but I got into anime with StarBlazers, Voltron, Robotech: before I even knew what anime was.

What got me into anime? DragonBall Z Ocean Dub, then officially with Devil Hunter Yohko, considering Yohko was unedited. Since then's been Evangelion, Gundam, more Transformers, Street Fighter, Ikkitousen, Queen's Blade, add boredom.

Well almost everyone I know offline that has either watched one anime or got into anime all started on the same anime, including me and that was Dragon Ball Z. Then again I remember seeing Speed Racer as a kid as well. It's just at the time I didn't know Speed Racer was an anime.

I haven't tried introducing others to Anime since, but if I was, I'd do so with something that isn't full of fan-service or otaku-rads. I'd probably use something that isn't way over the top either. Most likely something full of action and maybe even cussing. It'd definitely have to be dubbed since I wouldn't expect them to try to read subtitles. Hmm.. I'd probably say shows like Black Lagoon, Eureka Seven, Outlaw Star, etc.

you are probably right, i could say that dragon ball / dragon ball z was the most influential / popular anime back in the 90's. it's like the one who trigger most people to watch animes up to this day.. well this is in my honest opinion.

I'm probably gonna sound my age, but I got into anime with StarBlazers, Voltron, Robotech: before I even knew what anime was.

What got me into anime? DragonBall Z Ocean Dub, then officially with Devil Hunter Yohko, considering Yohko was unedited. Since then's been Evangelion, Gundam, more Transformers, Street Fighter, Ikkitousen, Queen's Blade, add boredom.

Ooh i remember all those! Voltron was awesome...and Battle for the Planets...Ulysses...oh and even Cities of Gold....after school cartoons back then...does Kimba the White Lion count? Man that's showing my age!

=) seems like.. i have people here who knows those animes. i just remember those days when i hear the Lion Force Team Voltron Opening theme =). Robotech / Macross was really good too!

The first one I've ever seen was Neon Genesis Evangelion, but for me it was not so awsome, as for my friends. Anime that got me was Trigun.

i just completed that series a while ago, it was somewhat good but lacks in story telling. it has the plot that makes it interesting but in the end, the plot was too fast and deep.

back in the 90's when i was still in highschool / secondary level of my studies. my classmates usually chat about this Neon Geneses Evangelion thing and i did not even catch up to it since that i cant come home early for the telecast. (the episode is finished before i got home)

i will admit, although hentai's was quite rare that time.. the usual chat that my classmates are having is.. Shinji goes into Rei's Room.. Rei which is naked goes inside the room and shinji suddenly touches Rei's boobs. >,< somewhat, it seems that the tv station did not censored that part or cut it =)

as for me? why did i become attached to animes that it is almost a part of my life. here it is:

one of the first anime's that i seen was Voltez V, it's old but somehow have the story that it takes.. after watching it and finishing it (it's 1 episode per week that time and still, i managed to watch it all)

but that's not it.. as Koby said, Dragon Ball Z was really popular back in the 90's. when i first see it (the episode where Raditz killed Gokou). i was suddenly pumped up to watch it even it's also 1 episode per week in weekends. by just imagining it, when i play outside with my childhood friends and when i heard the song saying "Chala, Head Chala!" i run inside the house and watch the episode itself.. ditching my old childhood friends outside =). it's really hilarious to hear but it's true =).

after that, lots of good animes come into my senses: (i could say that this are the ones people who are like my age will recommend to their friends back in those days)

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing - the first gundam series that i love, and i could say the one who trigger my interest in watching gundam animes.

Rurouni Kenshin - Samurai X, i really love it when i first see it. the fighting scenes is top notch, and the animation is good.

Slamdunk - its sports but its really good.. in my local country, we usually love basketball than football so the anime really had an impact in our country back those days.

Hunter X Hunter - its an old time favorite and it did really give an impact to me and my friends back in those days.

Yuu Yuu Hakusyo - "Spirit Gun", like Dragon Ball Z.. most of my friends who are not into animes become attached to it because of this series.

aside from that, since that the animes really improved nowadays.. this is the usual animes that i think people really get into when they first see it.

Naruto - its long and until now it still ongoing.. i was addicted to it a few years ago.. but now, not anymore. this is the first anime that made me read the manga because of anticipation.

Bleach - DBZ was way back in the 90's and i think Bleach is the one with the same properties of DBZ (Powerlevels and Fights) which makes a good impact to people in this era (2004 - Present)

One Piece - i dont know if i should put this one, but poeple can usually appreciate it after they watch a number of episodes. the impact of the series is not in the first episodes. i already convinced most of my friends who become addicted to the series as i do that they become attached to this series after watching 30+ episodes from the first chapter.

Ecchi / Fan Service Animes - most common people that i know, really become addicted to animes after they see some skin into anime characters =). i will give one example: Code Geass - Kallen, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed - Lacus Clyne (the series is not ecchi but somewhat sexy).

well, i think this is for my post =)

i think the first one i had seen back when i was too young to care whether that was anime or not. It was Sailor Moon and it aired on a channel that we could barely catch on an archaic tv set in nineties. But i didnt care about the plot or anything was just watching, like once three months, an episode. The one that i watched seriously was Evangelion, which i watched subbed (and liked the original voices so much i cant stand dubbed Evangelion ever since). Then was Samurai Champloo. I never really got into anime but the stuff i have watched i really enjoyed.

Well I would say the first anime that actually got me interested was Naruto or Bleach, I am not really sure which it would actually be. I use to watch the crap censored Naruto on kids tv in the morning and I use to really enjoy that, probably one of the main reasons. But what got me looking into more anime was when my friend showed me bleach, that is probably the biggest influence that kept me watching more anime.

ive managed to convert most of my friends into anime freaks. I used to be the only one in ma school that watched anime caus i grew up with shows like gundam wing, cowboy bebop and outlaw star airing on the late night slot on toonami. Ma friends always used to try and act all high and mighty saying that anime was for kids in shit and in the end i left it. but then i started gettin into robotech again, which later became macross and eventually id dled masses of anime and owned almost as much. When i showed ma friends some of elfen lied and a bit of evangelion they all converted within weeks. next thing i know im the top dog with ma friends all asking me if they can borrow my anime collection or copy a series...funny how things work out! XD