PC Overkill?

ZacOnCrac

Hey, if there are any PC people hiding around here I was wondering if this was considered overkill for a desktop PC I want to use for intensive gaming at most.

i7 7700k

GTX 1080 - AORUS Xtreme

16GB DDR4 3000mhz RAM

Gaming M8 Motherboard

750w 80+ Gold PSU

This is all to be paired up with a 144hz 1440p 27" G-Sync Monitor.

It'll end up around 2.75k AUD though, rip. 

Soooo can I justify the purchase?

• Like 2

Nice specs, man. I'd justify this kind of money for your intention only, intensive gaming. I also own a i7 from way back, more than  5 years old and it's still sufficient. I do believe that this cpu will last you a long time. 

What monitor is this? I've had a 144hz asus 1080p monitor for quite some time now and would not want to go back to normal speced one. I have thought about upgrading it for a higher resolution. I'd be interested in what model you found. 

Edited by EljayFlintok

Spec-wise .. these are quite the decent numbers should be able to manage most things you throw at it pretty well.

This is in no way overkill specs. 

I do think however that if you were able to change some of the parts to another brand or similar parts .. you can reduce the price.

At that resolution and refresh rate you're specs are easily justified. It's not overkill at all, it's what you're going to need to play the latest games at a decent framerate with all the graphical settings cranked up. Well, graphically demanding games anyways.

Edited by ThePJzer

• 1 year later...

There isn't really "overkill" when it comes to building a PC, because your components will be outdated in a couple of years no matter what you buy. All that matters is if you're making the smarter decision by buying expensive components now when they're going to be cheaper later on, and if they'll still be serviceable for new games once their price drops.

I have always found that going with whatever is the 'upper mid-range' at the time tends to give the best bang for the buck.  After that, you start getting less and less increased performance for more and more money.  On the other hand, if you go much under mid-range components, they won't be able to max out current generation titles and you won't be happy with it.