The best web browser on windows operating systems

tbbttbbt

Your favorite web browser  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite web browser that works on Windows?

• Mozilla Firefox
    • Google Chrome
    • Vivaldi
    • Opera Browser
    • Internet Explorer

Never tried Vivaldi.

Explorer is dead, replaced by Edge which still doesn't support a lot of stuff, including some of the stylistic css that our forum themes utilize such as the color blur on the maintitles of Titan for example.

Chrome is slow af, takes several minutes to boot up after clicking the icon, then randomly freezes, and hogs memory. This is even with a fresh install and no plugins.

I honestly didn't think many people still used Opera.

I use FireFox. Even with a lot of plugins, it boots up quickly, supports everything, and doesn't use much memory (in comparison to say Chrome) even with a dozen tabs open. I've had no reason to look for another browser as a result.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Koby said:

Chrome is slow af, takes several minutes to boot up after clicking the icon, then randomly freezes, and hogs memory. This is even with a fresh install and no plugins.

Should be noted that this is on Koby's, and Koby's system alone... 

Probably not, but as I myself have used Chrome and Firefox, I can't say that I have experienced those issues. RAM usage is through the roof though, I will admit that.

@Koby last update blog I read about Edge (From MS) said that it's the only browser to now support 4K Netflix. Granted you need your 7th gen Intel processor as well... 

16 minutes ago, Moodkiller said:

Should be noted that this is on Koby's, and Koby's system alone... 

Probably not, but as I myself have used Chrome and Firefox, I can't say that I have experienced those issues. RAM usage is through the roof though, I will admit that.

@Koby last update blog I read about Edge (From MS) said that it's the only browser to now support 4K Netflix. Granted you need your 7th gen Intel processor as well... 

Except it's that way on 4 different desktops, and 3 different laptops ranging from WinXP, Win Vista, Win7, and Win10. And they all act the same. So clearly it's not just a "one system" ordeal. It'd be weird if it's only me yet somehow affecting every single machine I've got the same way. On every one of them Chrome takes ages to boot up (with no plugins and via fresh install) and uses more ram with a single tab than FireFox does with a dozen tabs (and several plugins). While FireFox boots up the instant the icon is clicked. It's been a universal experience I've had for years. Even on my cellphone, the mobile version of Chrome is really slow to open up.

But another reason I prefer Firefox over Chrome aside from the faster boot times and less ram usage, is the text rendering. Chrome renders text weird to me and it literally hurts my eyes and induces migraines after short periods of reading text through Chrome rendering it pretty much inoperable to me for any long period of time. Changing text settings didn't seem to help it much if any (JohnFlower tried to help me before). It's more bold and yet not as sharp, kind of looks blurred with some semi-glow or something. Hard to explain but I've shown examples before and even Chrome-enthusiasts like JohnFlower seemed to agree there was a difference in them especially in my screenshots I shared before (would have to retake them or hunt them down).

• Like 1

I use FireFox as my main browser, Chrome for all my torrenting and other super legal stuff, opera for a music community website called plug.dj.

I can't really say which is the best, but I've made FireFox my home long ago (switched from internet explorer all the way back from my noob days on the pc), and haven't had any major issues so...

23 hours ago, Koby said:

Except it's that way on 4 different desktops, and 3 different laptops ranging from WinXP, Win Vista, Win7, and Win10. And they all act the same. So clearly it's not just a "one system" ordeal. It'd be weird if it's only me yet somehow affecting every single machine I've got the same way. On every one of them Chrome takes ages to boot up (with no plugins and via fresh install) and uses more ram with a single tab than FireFox does with a dozen tabs (and several plugins). While FireFox boots up the instant the icon is clicked. It's been a universal experience I've had for years. Even on my cellphone, the mobile version of Chrome is really slow to open up.

That's just bizarre that it happens on every machine. Spec wise I'm assuming we are talking SSD's as boot options if Firefox opens virtually straight away. Unfortunately with these things, too many variables. That said, I have seen what you experience. I.e. on other computers (not mine, and windows 7 and 10 mainly) I have seen Chrome just hang or do nothing when clicked. 

As for the font, yeah I remember that conversation. This is what it looks like on mine currently, I am running a smaller font and page zoom set to 100%

http://puu.sh/w4mzQ/18cd4e0504.png

18cd4e0504.png

@Koby here you go: have some fun!

Passmark AppTimer: http://www.passmark.com/products/apptimer.htm

Setup: Clean versions of both Firefox and Chrome 64-bit editions installed and updated. I know Chrome is in the x86 folder, but it is 64-bit.

Chrome results:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe - 5 executions

Time in seconds

Configuration:

d43b310fed.png

Firefox results:

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe - 5 executions

Time in seconds

Configuration:

8fd6d4603a.png

Conclusion: I seem to experience the issues that you have with Chrome, but with Firefox, haha >_<

Browsers these days I just can't trust anything anymore cuz memory and loading's a bitch.

Chrome - THE #1 browser in terms of shitting RAM off, although loading tabs are faster than any browser I use

Fire--uh, Cyberfox/Waterfox - The main browser I use, but is it just me or why the fuck does it take MINUTES to start loading up when you use it?

Edge - Tried it for the first time. A Onedrive tab already took up over 1,000,000K of RAM. Dropped it

Never used Opera or Vivaldi, and well fuck IE.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer FireFox.

It's got some solid security, add-ons, and easy of use.

Though...it CAN be a bit of a resource hog.

Internet Explorer is something only grandparents and shitty business with poor IT departments still use.

IE/Edge/MS Crapper...it just, sucks.

• 1 month later...

Which is the "best" browser may be a difficult question to answer, but one thing is for sure: WebKit and co.'s increasing dominance is extremely troubling, and is uncomfortably reminiscent of the IE6 quasi-monopoly. That just leaves the Microsoft browsers, and Firefox.

Edge/IE is a mess, what with the actively developed browser only being available on one version of Windows, and lagging in supporting things like APNG compared to the other major browsers. So my vote in this poll goes to Firefox as a matter of principle.

I use both Firefox and Chrome, but Firefox is my favorite

Remembered I recently read an article where they tested different web browsers, so when i saw this poll I went back and re-read it. The PC World test compaired Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Opera. Chrome was the winner, with Opera number two.

In the speedtest Firefox was pretty clearely slowest when opening tabs and loading (but it had other advantages though)

Quote from PC World: "Firefox helps maintain overall PC performance under heavier workloads, but it's not great if you want dozens of sites to load as quickly as possible."

My computer is crap, so that is probably why i prefer Firefox over the others cus it does not slow down my computer as much as the other web browsers :-)