Final Fantasy VII Remake - Thoughts?

cloud1414

I really wish I could be excited for this... But they went and ruined FFVII. When it comes down to remaking older games, you can't just go and scrub each game of what made them unique and paint them all the same color. The first and most obvious problem here is the removal of FFVII's unique artstyle. Here's what Cloud SHOULD look like. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/02/aplusautomation/vendorimages/bb3df4c6-331b-4c68-8d6b-27360a132fa3.jpg._CB305892982_.jpg
But instead, they went for realism. But this is supposed to be FFVII, not FFVIII... Can you imagine if The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD was done with photorealism!?

The second problem is the change in game-play. Each Final Fantasy has its own style. You can't just go and remake each game to use the exact same style. Why would you want 15 identical games?

People like FFVII... Why not remake it!?...instead of making a mutated clone. It's not the same game anymore. Just like Mewtwo isn't the same a Mew, and all people wanted was HD Mew. :P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2018 at 3:11 PM, moritasan2040 said:

I really wish I could be excited for this... But they went and ruined FFVII. When it comes down to remaking older games, you can't just go and scrub each game of what made them unique and paint them all the same color. The first and most obvious problem here is the removal of FFVII's unique artstyle. Here's what Cloud SHOULD look like. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/02/aplusautomation/vendorimages/bb3df4c6-331b-4c68-8d6b-27360a132fa3.jpg._CB305892982_.jpg
But instead, they went for realism. But this is supposed to be FFVII, not FFVIII... Can you imagine if The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD was done with photorealism!?

The second problem is the change in game-play. Each Final Fantasy has its own style. You can't just go and remake each game to use the exact same style. Why would you want 15 identical games?

People like FFVII... Why not remake it!?...instead of making a mutated clone. It's not the same game anymore. Just like Mewtwo isn't the same a Mew, and all people wanted was HD Mew. :P

To be honest, I would love to see a cartoony/anime styled Final Fantasy remake so they look closer to the art for it. That being said, the art change really won't bother me much as long as they don't make this a Final Fantasy 15 battle clone since I really hated that in a way. Except  for the two online games, when I think Final Fantasy I think awesome traditional RPGs and not some MMO wannabe or Hack and Slash wannabe.

• 1 year later...

Took me awhile to find this thread. 😅

We have a release date everyone.

March 3, 2020.

What we still don't know, however, is how many 'parts' this is going to take. 😒

With our luck, Square will troll us all and it'll take '7' parts... because... you know... Final Fantasy 7. 😑

On 6/10/2019 at 4:22 PM, CardGames said:

Took me awhile to find this thread. 😅

We have a release date everyone.

March 3, 2020.

What we still don't know, however, is how many 'parts' this is going to take. 😒

With our luck, Square will troll us all and it'll take '7' parts... because... you know... Final Fantasy 7. 😑

Yeah it seems even they don't know how many parts, it needs to be two. I just can't see how they would divide up the game post Midgar. I think it looks really great and I'm excited to try it out. Being Square, my expectations are at zero. 

On 6/14/2019 at 8:22 AM, splintersan said:

Yeah it seems even they don't know how many parts, it needs to be two. I just can't see how they would divide up the game post Midgar. I think it looks really great and I'm excited to try it out. Being Square, my expectations are at zero. 

Unfortunately, IIRC, The first Midgar part is the very minor beginning of the game. So it's likely going to take more than 2 parts. I want it to only be 2 parts as well but it'll likely take 3-5 parts at minimum, possibly more. 😅

3 hours ago, CardGames said:

Unfortunately, IIRC, The first Midgar part is the very minor beginning of the game. So it's likely going to take more than 2 parts. I want it to only be 2 parts as well but it'll likely take 3-5 parts at minimum, possibly more. 😅

They've already confirmed they vastly expanded the Midgar section. Also from what I've read/understood, it sounds like they cut a substantial amount of original content out such as Honey Bee Inn, Bro's Gym and Don Corneo's Mansion, which also means they cut out the sewers.

“Remaking Final Fantasy VII has allowed us to dive much deeper into the world and its characters than ever before,” said producer Yoshinori Kitase. “The first game in this project expands on the story of Midgar and is such an elaborate retelling that it’s become a solid standalone game in its own right.”

On 6/15/2019 at 2:46 PM, Koby said:

They've already confirmed they vastly expanded the Midgar section. Also from what I've read/understood, it sounds like they cut a substantial amount of original content out such as Honey Bee Inn, Bro's Gym and Don Corneo's Mansion, which also means they cut out the sewers.

“Remaking Final Fantasy VII has allowed us to dive much deeper into the world and its characters than ever before,” said producer Yoshinori Kitase. “The first game in this project expands on the story of Midgar and is such an elaborate retelling that it’s become a solid standalone game in its own right.”

Somehow... I'm not surprised at all they cut the cross-dressing section out completely. 😒

On 6/15/2019 at 11:26 AM, CardGames said:

I'm currently replaying it. Midgar is the first 10 hours of a 60-90 game. A lot of that time post Midgar is traveling the world, first in a linear fashion and then once you get the Highwind, almost the entire map is open to you. So they either need to make everything linear, remove some of the stuff like Chocobo farming and the ability to get to the secret stuff with the gold Chocobo. I'm just not sure how they would break the game up post Midgar with out making it extremely linear, no grinding and remove a lot of the optional charm that the game had. Either way, I'll be here playing what ever they release because I'm curious and love the original. 

5 hours ago, splintersan said:

I'm currently replaying it. Midgar is the first 10 hours of a 60-90 game. A lot of that time post Midgar is traveling the world, first in a linear fashion and then once you get the Highwind, almost the entire map is open to you. So they either need to make everything linear, remove some of the stuff like Chocobo farming and the ability to get to the secret stuff with the gold Chocobo. I'm just not sure how they would break the game up post Midgar with out making it extremely linear, no grinding and remove a lot of the optional charm that the game had. Either way, I'll be here playing what ever they release because I'm curious and love the original. 

I never said that an insignificant detail like the cross-dressing section being removed entirely was going to make me not get it. lol.

I also like the original too much not to get the Remake. I also intend on getting it. Probably even pre-ordering it once it gets closer to March. ☺️

I apologize for the double post... but...

@Koby I just came across this on PSNProfiles that was apparently on a magazine called Famitsu:

"The Honey Bee Inn cross-dressing event is still in. We’ve made it more modern. If we made the facility like we did in the original game, the physical unease would be staggering, so that was no good…"

😍

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Oh boy. FF7Remake has a "Classic" option that basically turns the game into a turn-based RPG rather than the normal action game.

You'll also be able to equip one summon per character which'll act like a 4th party member controlled by AI, however you can actually use your characters ATB gauge to issue them commands if you desire.

I'm actually really excited about the Classic mode being implemented. I wasn't thrilled about it being a generic action game.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So turns out Square-Enix royally fucked FF7 "remake" and turned it into a FF7 "fan-fiction".

HUGE spoilers

Spoiler

So, the "remake" is essentially a sequel to the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII that involves a future Sephiroth traveling back in time to undo what lead to his demise in the original game, including undoing Zack's death in the outskirts of Midgar. The "ghosts" seen in the trailers are there to prevent the original timeline from being disrupted, and any action Cloud takes that influences a divergence in the timeline, like almost dealing a fatal blow to Reno in the Sector 5 Church, is physically prevented. They're present because Sephiroth has already arrived in the timeline at that point, and the game ends with Sephiroth tricking Cloud and co into killing these Watchmen and severing the chains of fate, leading to an unknown future, and in turn entirely different sequels post-Midgar.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
4 hours ago, CardGames said:

Part 2 was announced.

They are also doing a Remaster/Remake of Crisis Core

Good to finally get some word on Part 2 and confirmation that it'll end with Part 3...

But sad that it'll be somewhere between December 2023 and March 2024 before it hits PS5 exclusively. As we'll likely be a year out before it hits Epic and then another 8 months after that before it finally hits Steam... So looking at close to 2026 at that point.

Been interested in playing Crisis Core, so perfect timing to get word of a remake for it. I'll hold out and play the Remake.

• 1 year later...

Pretty interesting time capsule of a thread. Goes from "no FF7 Remake EVER" all the way through its release. I see that it hasn't been bumped in awhile, but I think we're due for a little more activity considering that Part 2 is releasing in about 1.5 months.

FF VII never did get a remake, depending on who you ask. I think it's more fair to call it a reimagining. No need to dig up that whole argument about the ghost jannies, timeline theories, etc. And it's all pretty spoiler-heavy anyway....I'm just glad we got what we did. I'm not actually a fan of the gameplay, though. Which is what most people applaud the remake for....
I want ATB back. Not the butchered ATB we got in the remake, but the old school stuff where my characters line up to fight. That's the real stuff.

I skipped FF XVI (a first for me) because I can't stand the changes the series is undergoing any longer. I actually found this thread while looking for the FF VIII thread that I KNOW I saw a few weeks ago, but can't seem to find now. I can really sink my teeth into FF VIII discussion. I didn't log on to be a Negative Nancy, but the divisiveness of the FF VII remake has me worked up, haha. I thought the characters were great, but the gameplay was meh & the story changes are offensive to me. I'll still pick up FF VII Remake Part 2, maybe sometime in March because I try not to preorder games anymore, nor do I want to pay full price. I'll be in Japan when it releases, maybe I should go peek and see what the pre-order pickup lines look like 👀   I'll probably buy a used copy on eBay when I'm about to fly home so it's waiting for me. I've somehow managed to stay 99% physical in my gaming endeavors.

• Like 1

Just now, Zemekis said:

I actually found this thread while looking for the FF VIII thread that I KNOW I saw a few weeks ago, but can't seem to find now. I can really sink my teeth into FF VIII discussion.

This one?

• 5 weeks later...