boink666

Which do you prefer: characters or plot?

Characters vs Plot  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer?

• A plot driven story / A story with good plot but flat and one-dimensional characters.
    • A character driven story / A story with good characters but almost no plot.

For me it is clearly character driven story, cus if i dont like the characters it will ruin the anime, but if the characters are enjoyable to watch i can get by with no plot. But i would just like to give a four different combinations of plot/character-driven anime just to add my view of things:

1. Cowboy Bebop is an amazing anime, but i feel the plot is lakking, but it still works great because of the good characters with awesome personalities.
  2. Samurai Champloo has almost no plot, but the characters are extreemly enjoyable even tho two of them doesnt really have any personality (Jin and Fuu). As long as the characters are good/enjoyable they dont really need a personality.
  3. Attack on Titan is an anime with an amazing plot, but two of the three main characters was either a complete A**hole or a crying whimp. this is an example of characters with bad personalities which is the reason i didn't really enjoy the series as much as i could have done.
  4. Sword Art Online: If we look away from the total crash of the plot in the mid-half of the first anime, it was a good plot-driven anime (the first 12ish episodes had good plot). Kirito had basically no personality which in turn made me not care what happend to him. But since there wasnt really anything wrong with the character (except for maybe beeing to O.P) it didn't ruin anything. It's just that the anime would be better with a character with a good personality instead of the allmighty-no-personality-God Kirito

So this isnt really the question but I feel that a character can be flat but still good as long as it woks for the anime(e.g. Samrai champloo). And anime can also be good with a good plot and a character with flat personality(e.g. first half of SAO), but not with characters which are unlikable(e.g. Attack on titan). But all in all if you get characters with great personalities and that are enjoyable you dont need any plot (e.g Cowboy Bebop).

Edited by Fishmonster

For me absolutely both.....also, depends on the genre sometimes....but I still can't really pick one..nor can I think of any of my favorites that had one but not the other..

Also..both are too subjective imo..

Characters no question. Look at Looney Tunes, specifically Chuck Amuck. Even in erasing Daffy all the way down to nothing but his duck bill and voice Daffy's one of the most distinctive characters around.

The results are 50/50 and I'm honestly not surprised, but I tend to give up on shows if I hate the characters, and can sit through hours of trash if the characters are well developed so character-driven is the most important for me

Plot always comes first. It's better to have a series with a good story and reasonably decent looking characters than a series without a story with a moral/point.

I've watched enough poorly written anime to say that story trumps the characters. I don't care if the anime treats the characters like Game of Thrones characters and kills them all off. I want a good story.

20 hours ago, tomnook123 said:

I've watched enough poorly written anime to say that story trumps the characters. I don't care if the anime treats the characters like Game of Thrones characters and kills them all off. I want a good story.

Haha, I am just the opposite and couldn't get into Game of Thrones for that very reason. Stopped watching after season 1, poor Sean Bean... Just goes to show that everyone enjoys different things. I enjoy a good story but when I don't like any of the characters the story alone can't keep me coming back.

I prefer characters. You can create the most boring plot imaginable, but if you have great characters, it makes the overall story entertaining and interesting.

Characters.
A really good plot populated with trash tier characters is really difficult to enjoy, but stupid plots can be made bearable if not enjoyable with good enough characters.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By manc4life
      I want to watch something that is fun and has loads of fan service

After some consideration i've decided to go with

Cat Planet Cuties ( Asobi ni Ikuyo! )

or

Heaven's lost property  ( Sora no Otoshimono )

im sucker for echhi anime with even a mildly remotely interesting plot.

Recommendation anyone?
    • By avalpsychicguy
      Cartoons often have pretty messed up episode orders, especially older ones (though there are still a few even nowadays that have ordering problems).  When you start binge-watching a completed cartoon, which order do you prefer to watch episodes in?  Please answer in the poll, but if you have some other kind of order you watch episodes in, feel free to select "Other" and voice it in a reply.  Also, I've never done this sort of thing before, so I'm not sure if I can do this text and the poll all in one post, but it's worth a shot.  If there's no poll, just reply, I guess.

I myself am a die-hard "Official Wikipedia Order" kind of person.  I find that I avoid continuity errors that way.  (If any such continuity exists in the first place, that is.)  It also makes sure I see episodes that I might otherwise miss for some reason.
    • By Anon316
      CHARACTER RESEMBLANCE THREAD

This Thead is to post Anime, Manga, Cartoons or Video game characters that have a resemblance or notible features.

Note 1: I don't know if a similar thread exists or has been done before... I do know that there were alot of threads that were lost in the past when the forums had a few resets.

Note 2: Post a picture of a character along with their name and what Anime, Manga or Video game they are from... Please do not put SPOILERS such as last boss, or he/she died etc.... you know what I mean. (If you cannot help but ignore the rules -_-' then atleast put spoiler tags to cover the spoiler).

Note 3: They DO NOT HAVE TO LOOK EXACTLY ALIKE, as long as they have 2 or more notible features such as elements, characteristic, style, etc... but I would prefer if the resemblance is close as opposed to way off.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ryunosuke Umemiya (Shaman King) & Inyama (Air Gear)

JP (Redline) & Dandy (Space Dandy)

Tyson Granger (Beyblade G-Revolution) & Pokemon Trainer Red (Pokemon Manga)

Tokuchi Toua (One Outs) & Hiruma Yoichi (Eyeshield 21)

Kallen (Code Geass) & Aki (Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds)

Faust VIII (Shaman King) & Sebastian (Ultra Maniac)

Trowa Barton (Gundam Wing) & Yang (Street Fighter III)

Vegeta (Dragon Ball Z) & Kazuya Mishima (Tekken Anime)

Wang Jinrei (Tekken 5) Master Roshi (Dragon Ball Z)

Heero Yuy (Gundam Wing) & Sousuke Sagara (Fullmetal Panic!)

Dik Dik Van Dik or Gazelleman (Ultimate Muscle) & Zetman (Zetman)

Onikage (Tenchu) & Orochimaru (Naruto)

Orochimaru (Naruto) & Solf J. Kimblee (Fullmetal Alchemist)

Kakashi Hataki (Naruto) & Rikimaru (Tenchu)

Anko Mitarashi (Naruto) & Ayame (Tenchu)

Jet Black (Cowboy Bepop) & Dan Dustin (The Big O)

Chrono (Chrno Crusade) & Vincent Valantine (Final Fantasy VII)

Lucca (Chrono Trigger) & Arale (Dr Slump)

Oddjob (007 Goldeneye N64/Wii) & Fat Controller (Thomas The Tank Engine)

Toshiro Hitsugaya (Bleach) & Lyon Bastia (Fairy Tail)

Justice (Guilty Gear) & Hakumen (Blazblue)

Ken Masters (Street Fighter) & Ryo Sakazaki (King of Fighters)

Mitsurugi Heishiro (Soul Calibur) & Haohmaru (Samurai Shodown)

Kaname Tousen (Bleach) & Edgar Davids (Fifa)

If I remember anymore I will add them to the list
      Post and Discuss...
    • By Breathless
      So I noticed there was another thread going around - Dubbed vs Subbed. So this is a more specific question directed at you those who like to watch their anime with subtitles! Do you prefer Soft Subs or Hard Subs?

The difference being Soft Subs are basically layed over the top of the video. You can turn if on or off, and if you have the right programs you can even edit them. Another good thing is that the video is left untouched, so if there are any errors in the translations that can easily be worked out. - down side, since they're not part of the video they tend to be more demanding from your computer and video player. Also If you have the right program you can edit the size/colour.

Hard Subs on the other hand are embed into the actual video. You can't change them, you can't edit them, you can't take them off. This means that if there is an error in the translation, or a typo, that's staying on the video for good. And because they're embed into the actual video, they don't take much more room than the raw would.

Most Subbers tend to hard sub the OP/ED for the cool effects, and then release a Creditless / subtitless OP/ED. This includes some Soft-Subbers too, because there are times wehere the OP/EDs are Hard Subbed even if the rest is Soft.

I personally prefer Hard Subs if they're done well, but I don't blog or anything so I don't really need to turn the subs off, haha. Since becoming enlightened, I don't really mind either way.

Anyway - What do you prefer, Soft Subs or Hard Subs?
    • By Koby
      Are you more of a Morning or Night kind of person?

I'm definitely a Night person. I have a hard time going to sleep so I stay up till I feel tired enough to sleep; it's usually around 5 am. xD And then I wake up around noon or later. O.o How about you?