Highschool of the Dead Review

Blackcat

My review for "Highschool of the dead".

It is very rare for me to give a 10/10 to any movie or game, but Highschool of the Dead defiantly deserves the 10/10 because it's one of the top best anime I have ever seen, and I'm not just saying that because I like it, and it is better than all the other teen high school anime like Gantz, Persona, and NGE.

Highschool of the Dead is a perfect flawless anime that has well exceeded my high expectations in terms of story, characters, music, action and production values, based on the ongoing manga series of the same name Highschool of the Dead follows a group of Japanese high school students who witness the violent global zombie apocalypse during class time at their school, similar to the opening of Red Dawn except the Russians are replaced by flesh eating zombies from the George A Romero's of the Dead films.

As the story progresses the students witness World War Z first hand and are forced to fight and evade their way through the thousands of the ever growing undead as well as rescue other survivors and deal with the ones who have gone insane or crazy by the chaos of the zombie apocalypse.

The characters are all very well developed and the story is very well written and keep's you wanting to see more, the music plays on the right mood and for those who have seen 28 Weeks Later might recognize the background music that plays near the end of the first episode ;-) Highschool of the Dead is definitely an anime that is worthy of your time and I will be investing my money into the English dub when it gets released. Watch it ASAP; zombie fans will not be disappointed!

Thanks for reading, Hope you enjoyed it.

Edited by Emotional Outlet
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't say I much cared for this show. It focuses way too much on fan service, both of women and of guns, and is too thin on story and characters. It tries to make light, I can't say I found it all that terribly genuine or funny. It's a disappointment, really, because everything was in place to have a great drama series, not unlike The Walking Dead, only set during rather than after the zombie apocalypse. I'd post the more detailed review I wrote a while back, but I don't want to thread-jack.

I find myself disagreeing with pretty much every review Snowflake101 has posted that I've actually gotten around to reading. First with FMAB, and now this. Highschool of the Dead episode 1 was fantastic. However 2-END was just shitty fanservice and the story was completely forgotten about. Gonna have to agree with what Hicks said above.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

no need to disect it, just enjoy it

Some people find enjoyment in thinking about what they are watching, in understanding the material at a deeper level. I wonder about people who don't think about what they consume more than those who do spend that time speculating, coming up with theories, and critiquing the work.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

While I agree that HSOD is very good, and certainly doesn't deserve the garbage thrown it's way as being nothing but fan service, I don't know if I could give it a ten. On the other hand, if you think it's nothing but boobs your going to miss out on an excellent series.

there is an eng dub of HSOD out there (ive watched it) - hoping theres a series 2

nothing in the review i'd disagree with - series is decent, though it could've done with more fleshing out (hence my want for a second series)

Edited by adept

I think you are way way too easy on this show. I thought the beginning was good up until they tossed in the completely ridiculous service scenes 5 episodes in or so. This killed my sister off and she liked the show until then. It always had a lot of fanservice, but when the characters break badly with what they've acted like up till a certain point it's just nuts.

Now I can establish some arguments to support part of the change (moreso now than before for a reason I wouldn't get into here), but .. yeah

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Everyone either loves it or hates it. People who hate usually do so because of all the ecchi, but I will never forget the scene with [spoilers] the bullet dodging boobs [/spoilers] it was so retardedly epic, or so retarded it was epic, and will remain one of my favorite anime moments of all time.

Edit: I don't know why but I can't get the spoiler tag to work, I doubt it will ruin anything for people, but sorry in advance if I do.

Edited by Mordeth_Kai