Blood shot eyes~ A working title~

Talena Mae

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol.. ^.^ So you used my idea of a younger brother that is pretty much unknown and wants it to remain that way, even going as far as to give him my middle name. haha. Nice. Can't wait to see more of his abilities, and what happens from here on.

Yeps! You gotted the little wheels turning in my head =D and you said I can use your middle name so =P It adds a nice twist to the story.

Part 2

Jessica rushed off to do as he asked, amazed once more at how intelligent he was.

Smiling ruefully, she remembered he was ten times more experienced then she was with this sort of thing, after making her way back to him, she watched as he pulled on his gloves and began squeezing just above the spine.

“I need a leaf and one of the glass bottles quickly.”

“Why did you not ask me to get them before you started milking the damn thing?”

“Quit talking and just get them will you?” Scott’s' angry voice filled the air and had Jessica scrambling to do his bidding. However, there was something in his tone that sounded as if he was angrier with himself then her. She smiled, not even the experienced ones think of everything. Grabbing the glass bottle, she made her way back to him scooping a browning leaf from the ground on her way.

“Good, now place the leaf into the bottle and hold it in your palm. Using your thumb and forefinger hold the base just in case I knock it.” Jessica did as she was told, “Well done now if I have done this right...” His voice trailed away as a semi-clear droplet formed on the tip of the spine. Then suddenly a lot of the clear fluid rushed out, leaving the thing on the end of Scotts' dagger nothing but skin. Looking at her hands Jessica was shocked to see the bottle, about the size of her forearm was nearly full of the numbing liquid.

Scott took the bottle from her and moved back to the horse, opening the left saddlebag pulled out a stopper and a smaller padded bag. He placed the cork into the opening and pressing down firmly sealed it then slid it into the bag. Tucking it away, he mounted his horse, reached down grabbing Jessica just above her elbow, and pulled her up.

The road north was barely recognisable as the party of two travelled along it. Vegetation was a scarce sight on these dusty planes, and Scott for one was glad not to be looking over his shoulder every few moments. Jessica clung to him, her hands no longer resting on his shoulders, but wrapped loosely around his waist. Her head resting between his shoulder blades, she seemed asleep as Scott lightly rested one of his hands on her crossed arms. A rock dislodging further along the road snapped his attention away from the woman at his back to the danger that was more then likely in the next dip of the road. He squeezed the arms he was just softly touching, Jessica instantly threw up all the defensive spells she knew around them and the horse before coming fully awake, and with only her little training staff her normal one being to large for the horse and passengers to manage.

“Nice work, that was extremely efficient of you, heal all of us and quick step, I fear we have met one of the five tribes.” Scott looked over his shoulder at the now white face of Jessica smiling grimly, “Not to worry, we are only surrounded.”

Suddenly Jessica squeaked, Scott faced forward yet again and in one fluid movement drew his dagger sweeping it so the arrow aimed for his breast was knocked sideways. A feral grin spread across his handsome face, transforming him completely. This was one man only the very brave or foolish would want to fight with. By the looks of the men surrounding them, these men were the latter.

“Get off” Scott ordered as his blood lust began to take hold. “Do your healing spells and try to keep out of the way.” Luckily, for Jessica he helped her dismount, pulling the staff from the ring connected to the saddle and handing it down to her.

Even in the state he was in, Scott was shocked to find the staff on the heavy side. He looked down at her as she grabbed it from him, she did not even seem to notice it. Having held Mariam's countless times, hers was nowhere near as heavy as the one he passed to this girl. “Only use it to harm if you need to. Your life is mine for a year, remember that.”

Jessica nodded and backed into a large rock; standing straight, she pulled together her panic and twisted it into anger. “You remember Scott Channers; your life is truly in MY hands. You die on me I shall revive you then beat you to death myself!”

Scott's smile widened, he knew what she was doing. He had done it himself when the first real fight came along, and a few times after. “Girl, if you die I will take a week to bring a healer to revive you. Then take my own pleasure in killing you once more!”

Jessica's eyes were slits; she raised her staff and swung it back into the rock. A loud crack echoed around the clearing, then the sounds of crumbling rock. Although she spoke quietly, her voice carried to every man that was there

“Do not mess with me, I am hungry, I have no horse and I stink!” All the men plus a horse took a pace back shocked at her outburst. Then the would-be ambushers surged forward weapons raised, hate, lust and blood on their minds.

“I said DON'T,” Jessica swung her staff in a wide arc, the running men slowed then stopped altogether. The only things that moved on any of them were their eyes Scott dismounted. Rummaging through his saddlebags pulled out a long length of rope and systematically tied all their hands together.

Once his task was finished, he made his way slowly to where Jessica still stood, her beautiful face flushed with anger.

Reaching down slowly, he treated her as he would a skittish colt. Slowly with great patience, he took the staff from her hands and just as slow placed it on the ground. Straightening he placed his hands on Jessica’s shoulders, feeling the shudder that ran through her body he pulled her into his arms. Quiet unexpectedly her legs buckled the bottom half of Jessica's body pressed against him, the top hanging over his arm. Holding this strong yet fragile woman Scott gently moved some hair covering her eyes, shocked and annoyed at himself he placed Jessica on the ground. Moving away he whistled to the horse it quickly trotted over to its master, Scott pushed the horse so it shielded her from the sun.

Still not in control of himself, he made his way to the now captives and knelt in front of where he got them to sit.

“What is the problem here?” He inquired of the first man “why the revolt?

“That is none of your business my Lord.” Scott scanned the group for brown sun-men to find the speaker. Spotting the healthiest one there Scott turned his attention to him. He was dark, like all his kind, with dirty long black hair flowing down his bare back.

“You are mistaken friend, I was paid to stop this little escapade of yours, and that woman who caught you with little effort is my bond-mate for a year.” He looked back at her laying in the shade of the horse.

“I am no friend of yours, Mercenary and I don't give a damn about the woman.” He spat at Scott then, and before any of them knew what had happened wicked dagger was pressed tight against his throat.

“We know all about different sets of abilities mercenary, and that was no healers spell. That was a ranger's Stop Step. You have a Ranger hidden somewhere near here that my men failed to see.”

“You are a fool, friend.” Scott's voice was so low the group strained their ears to hear him. “There is no Ranger; you were beaten by a Healer, a little girl who just finished her training at school.”

“You will get nothing from us Mercenary, so it is pointless to try.” The man felt nothing as the dagger slit his throat cleanly, slumping forward he hit the ground with a solid thud. Scott looked around at the rest of the brown faces staring horrified at him, he smirked his handsome face twisting.

“Who will answer my questions?” He asked a deadly calm in his voice and he wiped the blade clean on the tattered remains of the dead man's pants. A small rabbit like man squirmed where he was bound looking intently at the ground. Scott knew if pushed this man would break, but the little man was not ready to crack just yet.

“You,” Scott pointed to the man next to Rabbit making them both jump as he stood and walked through the men to get to them. Squatting in front of the second man, he flicked the dagger out nicking the man's cheek. “Tell me, you pieces of scum, who ordered you into this revolt?”

Holding his bound hands to the cut on his cheekbone, the man shook his head pressing his lips together. Scott glared at the man his own lips thinning “I am losing my patience with you, tell me now or you get to meet your friend there in one of the ten hells.” Scott flicked his dagger again, but this tip cutting the man's chin and pointing it over his shoulder at the dead leader. At the man's flinch and Rabbits’, gasp his grim smile spread across his features once more.

“Well?”

The man once more shook his head and showing his teeth Scott stabbed the man through the heart. Slowly Scott turned his head to look at Rabbit, his feral smile still in place. With quick movements, he wiped the blade across Rabbits chest, giving a hollow laugh as the man wet himself.

“You tell me what I want to know and you will live. You refuse to say anything and...” Scott glanced at the body beside the terrified man. “That happens, so little Rabbit the choice is entirely yours.”

The man looked from Scott's face to the dagger to the dead men. Taking a deep breath the man opened his mouth, before he could utter a word the man on the other right side of him yelled. “Don't say any-” his own blood drowned out the rest of his words as Scott's dagger was embedded in his neck. Scott reached past the Rabbit, noticing with detachment that the man shat himself. Giving a hard yank the dagger slid out leaving the man clasping his throat and gurgling. “You were saying?” he inquired looking at the terrified man once more.

“T-the m-man who hired us...” He stuttered then fell silent.

“Continue.” Death was on Scott's' voice and the little man knew it, so he took a deep breath and through his trembling lips blurted

“We call him Lord as his asked us, he was northerner, with long blonde hair and a big sword...” Taking another deep breath, he plunged on “He had a girl with him, a spite-full little bitch she were too. Picked me up by my hair she did!” He finished almost yelling in his haste.

“Do you know what way they are headed? What their plans were?”

“No My lord Mercenary we… that is… I… well umm...”

“You what friend?” inquired Scott looking intensely at him “I want to know even the smallest thing you stinking bit of horse shit.”

“They headed off in the direction of the wetlands my Lord.”

“Thank you Rabbit, Your comrades are all free to go. But you little Rabbit stay with me.” with one precise pull Scott released them all and grabbing the man by his scruffy shirt pulled him towards the horse and the now sleeping healer. Hearing the quick movements of feet getting more distant he looked down at Jessica, and using the toe of his boot nudged her.

Jessica's eyes flickered and slowly she opened them, and raised a hand to shade her eyes. “What?” She asked numbly “Why am I on the ground?”

Scott's eyes narrowed and he gestured to the pile of rubble near her. Jessica turned her head slowly and looked to where he indicated. Upon seeing the destruction of the boulder swallowed hard a few times, she sat up holding her head in her hands, a small moan escaping from her.

“What happened my Lord?” She asked using his title not his name. “I remember we were surrounded...” Her head snapped up at the memory of all the men and she quickly scanned the area around them.

“You took care of them, Healer.” His expression of annoyance never changed. “You also took care of a dangers boulder; it didn't stand a chance against your deadly attack girl.” He sneered at her.

“I don't understand...” Jessica stood up and swayed slightly, with her vision wavering she took hold of the nearest thing to her. Unfortunately the thing she grabbed a hold of was Scott's shoulder, as her vision cleared she realised her body was pressed against his and hurriedly stepped back. Jessica lost her footing and fell onto her backside, hearing a snort she looked up at Scott close to tears. Scott had a sneer on his face no sign of amusement there. Seeing a quick flash of movement behind him she looked, spying a small dirty person leering at her behind Scott; Jessica looked down at herself and blushed a deep red. Not for the last time she cursed the required garments as she tried to pull down the fabric. Although her clothing was not as small as Mariam's it still left little to the imagination, and Jessica was doubly grateful for the leggings warn under her panties. She would be talking to the Healers counsel when they returned for much longer uniforms.

“Well if you have finished giving us a show, can we head out? We do have things to do and people to meet. Rabbit here has been kind enough to help me out so heal him and send him on his way.”

Jessica looked up at Scott, her embarrassment turning to full blooded anger. “I refuse” Came her clipped reply as she stood. The wind changed and she scrunched up her nose at the smell of urine and faeces in the air. “I do think though you could use a clean up Scott, I didn't think you were one to mess yourself. You know you really do stink, please do not come any closer to me, I think I may just vomit.”

“It's not me,” He stuck his chin out at her, a sign she came to know as he was becoming irritated and very angry. “It's Rabbit.”

“Well, let him sit in it.” Jessica replied stubbornly. “I am neither his nurse nor his maid. I will not clean heal someone nor clean them up just because you have asked me to do so Scott Canners.”

Scott took a deep breath resisting doing something as childish as this girl before him, letting it out slowly through his nose before he spoke “Heal him now Jessica Stevens, that is an order.”

Jessica looked at Scott wanting to jump up and down screaming that there was no way on the goddesses green earth she would heal this thing, but she realised that was how Scott expected her to act. She straightened her spine and looked coldly up at the man she both hated and loved; Jessica let a small smile play on her full pink lips.

“Heal him yourself Scott, for I shall not do it.” Jessica walked over to the stallion then leaving a dumbfounded Scott staring after her.

Jessica heard him hiss something at the man, then his footfalls coming up close behind her. She was on the verge of tears once more, her head was throbbing and then being asked to heal some filthy lecher. She stood straight though, not wanting to appear foolish, but Scott walked past her and mounted the horse. Jessica petted the horse once before grabbing Scott's offered arm and swinging up behind him.

To Jessica's surprise she was placed closer to him then the last time they rode together, or maybe she just imagining it. They followed the road they were originally taking, the horses pace slower as Jessica lacked the energy to cast any spells now, so Scott let her be.

It was reaching sunset when Scott dismounted awkwardly, trying to keep the sleeping girl from falling. Once his feet hit the ground he gently pulled Jessica from the horse and laid her on the earth.

Telling the horse to Stand, he scouted the area. They were still about a day out from the city here, but finally on level ground. Walking to the horse, he pulled the sleeping equipment out and placed it on the ground close together. If the silly girl took it into her head to do something foolish, he would be nearby to stop her.

Jessica opened her eyes to the dawn, sitting up she looked around. Scott and his stallion were not far away. With a groan she stood and clutched at her still aching head, and as quickly as she could without hurting herself took the canteen Scott was holding out to her.

While she had been sleeping Scott had made them a meal and was not pacing back and forth before her while she ate. “Jessica you need to listen to me.” She looked up at him and watched as his hand clenched and released the handle of his sword. “You have the power of three out of four branches flowing through you, I hate to admit it but the Lord Marshall was right in assigning you to me.”

“What do you mean Scott?” She asked pretending ignorance.

“You fool, I have met your father remember?” Scott ran his hand through his hair remembering how close it came. “Your father is a ranger and your mother a mage, the town were gossiping loudly when you became a healer. You did cast Stop Step on that band of thugs girl, so I was wondering if there was anything else you may not be telling me.”

Jessica fought hard to keep her meal down before answering him reluctantly, “I don't know what my skills are Scott. Both father and mother said they could feel their powers in me, yet as you see I am a healer. There are also times when I feel something strange inside... Something that would not be welcome if brought out...”

“I need to know everything girl-”

Jessica stood looking up at him, “I don't fucking know alright!? If you want to know about it you should seek out my father, he is the only one who knows anything about it.” She stiffened and dropped her voice “Someone is here... No, lots of people are here.”

“Mercs!” Scott hissed near silently, “on my word dive over to the horse and grab your staff as quickly as you can. Ready, go!”

Roan paced his office, it seemed there was more to the uprising then originally thought. the meeting between the council had taken longer then expected. In the end He was allowed to send reinforcements.

A knock came at the door and straightening his shoulders Roan called out "Come in, I have been waiting for you." A young man walked in stiffed backed. His short brown hair bouncing with each step as his eyes scanned the room.

"You sent for me my Lord?" He bowed formally.

Roan indicated the chair and took his own behind the desk. "Daniel we need your help, your brother has-" Daniel stood quickly his eyes now cold. "Yes, I have known all along that Scott is your brother, worry not as the only people who do are the three of us."

Danial sat down once more tensed for the rest of the news as he watched his lord moving around the papers on his desk. "As I was saying, your brother has gone to sort out some unrest in Rorten, but there is more happening there then we first anticipated."

Roan stood and began to pace once more. "His potential bond mate Jessica is with him, and her parents are adamant that we bring her back quickly. There has been some new development with her they are not telling me..." Roan stopped in front of Daniel looking down at him "Please I know you are yet unbonded and have no feelings for your brother, but if they are left out there something bad could happen."

Daniel nodded standing, "I will leave now then." He walked to the door stiffly.

"Daniel wait, take these." Roan handed him some files. "you are allowed to take two people with you. Chose well and may the gods protect you."

Daniel walked out of the office and quickly to his room, slamming the door shut he tossed the files on his bed before sitting at his desk and slamming his forehead against the thick wood. "Aah shit."

Part 3

“My lord Light?” A feminine voice called from the now open doorway. “My lord I have been ordered by Lady Juliene to assist you on your travels.”

“Who are you?” Daniel asked continuing to bang his head against the desk.

“My name is Alison Small My lord.” She replied lingering still in the doorway. “I was told to report straight to your rooms.”

“Lord Roan said-”

“Lord Daniel, I answer only to my Lady. I suggest if you have a problem with it I suggest you converse with her. Until she orders otherwise I am in your care.”

“Your room is over there.” Daniel pointed in the direction, “Get out.”

Daniel woke with a start, sitting up he scanned the room. It was as spartan as he liked it, the only decoration was a photo of his mother sitting on the bedside table. Amy Light, the victim of a brutal rape twenty-one years ago that resulted in conceiving a child. The man who did it, Adam Channers, the father of himself and Scott.

Daniel stood and stretched before picking up her picture, looking at it she saw a softer vision of himself. All but her eyes, Amy's eyes had a hurt look lingering in them. That being said, she was the strongest woman Daniel knew and he loved and admired her for it.

Ah, so that's how he was conceived. That would only serve to fuel his hatred of Scott even more so. The only possible reason he could go help Scott, is not for Scott but for Jessica who is with him. Otherwise I couldn't really see him accepting to go unless he had no choice in the matter and was forced? I have to agree with you, compared to other parts it is a lot shorter though. xD However that's fine, just keep them coming, lolz. I'm excited to see what happens when he catches up to Scott and Jessica.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Daniel walked into the office startling Roan who was crafting a letter at his desk. "Nathan and Victoria." He stated drooping the files on the desk as Roans quill went flying.

"As you wish, I will call them right away." He waved that the woman who followed Daniel into the room. She left and closed the door quietly.

Daniel paced the room clearly unhappy, "There are two conditions I require before fully accepting this assignment." He stated his eyes cold and hard.

Roan leaned back on his chair, "And they are?"

"First I want double the pay for this assignment." Daniel said still moving back and forth still. " The second is I want to know why the Healer was placed with me."

Roan fidgeted a little before becoming still, looking intensely as Daniel who was now still Roan steepled his fingers. "As you should know Daniel, no Mercenary is to go on a mission without a Healer. The choice was also not one I made, it was the Arch Master Healer who commanded thus."

"Why are women in charge?" Daniel asked falling into a chair his hands gripping at his hair.

Roan looked out his window for a long time before quietly replying; "Not only do women keep us safe and alive on a battlefield they also bring forth new life. Even the Magi not just the healers save our butts from time to time.

"All women should be treated with honor and respect. They also need to be loved and cherished, I am sure you know a woman like that." Roan looked away from the window and at the young man holding his head in his hands.

"You think Jessica fits into this? She is HIS potential bond mate, why should I stick my neck out for her?" Daniel mumbled.

"She is still a woman, even if she belongs to your brother for the moment. Jessica reminds me of my dear bondmate, you see this one time I went out for some drinks with a few friends, I was young and I didn't bother telling her.

When I finally stumbled home as the light was coming up, I found my door locked and a barrier spell placed around it. My bondmate was up and she had made herself something to eat, she unlocked the door and dropped the spell and walked passed me without a word."

Roan took a deep breath and looked out the window once more. "I could tell she was angry and upset... It took me almost a week to ask her what was wrong as she was more silent then normal. what she said surprised me deeply."

Daniel looked up and watched Roan, the lines seemed to deepen on his face. "What did she say?"

"I said that I was so worried about him, and asked him to tell me next time he goes out as we have a great number of enemy's that would kill us given the chance and for him to never leave me in the dark again." Said a voice stepping into the doorway followed closely by Alison " After we hugged and kissed I told him I loved him"

"I don't get how Jessica fits into that story." Daniel confessed.

"Jessica is... unique," Roan said standing to move around to embrace Juliene. "Jessica was just like I was all those years ago... But she is something more, that's why we need her here."

In the silence a knock sounded at the door. "Enter" called Roan letting Juliene go.

"Nathan and my bondmate Victoria reporting sir. Lord Stevens and the Lady Perl informed us of what was needed to be done. Daniel, Alison, it will be a pleasure to work with the both of you."

Daniel and Alison looked at each other and shrugged. with a last bow all four made there way out to the hall.

"Get packed meet me in the stables in ten minutes." Daniel stated walking off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Daniel set a fast pace as they left the grounds, after a few hours in the saddle they came accross a camp site. Dismounting they all looked around, daniel stepped a little apart from the group and crouched down, examining what he faoun in the dirt.

"Ranger, what do you think?" He addressed the tall, blonde well built man. "I cant make heads or tails out of it."

Nathen stepped forward and bent close to the ground inhaleing deeply. "They camped here... But there is also the stench of a voltar." He then snorted.

"The horses where over here," The willowy Victoria called in her suductively raspy voice as Daniel stood and walked around the little camp site.

Without any warning Daniel stiffened, sucking in a deep breath he horsely stated through clenched teeth "This spot feels wrong... Evil."

Nathen and Victoria rushed over to the spot, hoping that their different magics would tell then why it felt wrong to Daniel. "Do you know what it is my mate?" Victoria inquired, "I can't place it."

"Lord Light knows what it is he is sencing," Alison said from close behind them and they all turned towards her ready to ask questions. "Now is not the time though Ranger, bug twelve O'clock!"

Nathen acted reflexively and swong around drawing out his yo-yo type weapon, and with a flick of his wrist hit the bat like thing on it's right wing. It's jaws let out a hissing snarl as it fell to the ground. Victoria with he back againts her mate's, held her twig like want as more bugs circled around them, mumbeling spells so quickly under her breath that it all sounded like a long mumble. Unfourtounately the bugs were quicker then her lightning and no matter how quick she cast her spell the bug was slightly faster.

Alison buffed the group and healed all their minor hurts whipped her staff out and up knocking out a bug that was about to swoop down on her. "Daniel, we need you!" She called as she was pushed back by another bug trying to bite into her face, the only thing that was stopping it was the staff that Alison slammed into its gaping mouth.

Daniel shuddered slighly straightening from the slouch he had fallen into. Taking in the scean his eyes turned into slits. In one swift movement he unsheved his sword and ducked under the string of Nathens yo-yo and in a sweeping motion slit two of the bugs in half. With an ear splitting screech the bugs flew away, Daniel still not quite in his right mind snarled at the retreating monsters and threw his sword impaling one of them.

Nathen wrapped another in the string of his yo-yo and Victoria zapped it with her lighting. Alison somehow managed to dislodge the bug from her staff and with a strong heave slammed it into the ground where it no longer moved.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Due to Editing and publishing reasons I am no longer able to post any more of BsE here.

I am sorry to everyone who has been enjoying the novel, and I thank you all for your support and help making it what it is.

To everyone who gave me constructive criticism, it may hurt, but thanks to you I can make the little changes to make the story flow better (yes yes, I know I am still having troubles with my tenses, but it is my editors job to fix them mwhahahaha)

My love to all of you!