Favorite Songs/Artist and their best works

Reptoholic

Most everything in my collection is either licensed under Creative Commons or Art Libre, so they aren't as well-known but they distribute their music for free. That's a long of saying I kind of look like a hipster but I'm not. I just like free music and I prefer not to pirate.

One of the first artists I encountered using these kinds of licenses was Tryad. I fell in love with the album after a few listens and would often bring in their lyrics to poetry class when we asked to bring in poems or the like. One of my favourite songs from them is Struttin'.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmL_gu2Judo

I found the lyrics rather clever and sarcastic--I still love the "Baby blonde battery Barbies ain't got nothing on me" line. It also goes on to talk about how music distribution is changing and Tryad's embracing of that change. I'm also Facebook friends with one of the artists--he's very sweet and a huge hippie. Like, worse than me. But it was nice when he expressed some concern for my safety because I mentioned I was in Texas during the whole BP shenanigans not too long ago.

The other artist I'll mention is Josh Woodward. Up until I found his music, everything I listened to under that license was electronica. Not a lot of people singing--there'd be canned vocals occasionally, but little else. Not that there's anything wrong with electronica, I just have a ton of it and no idea how to identify any of the artists from the songs alone.

Don't Close Your Eyes is still one of my favourite songs of his. Go ahead and skip ahead about 45 seconds to get to the song.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZUYr8C8958

It's close to my heart because I'm a ball of angst and it meant a lot to me when I was a teenager. It still rings true to me to this day, just in a different way. I'm still discovering songs from him I absolutely love as I work my way through his discography--it's rather sizable! His romantic songs occasionally have this sarcastic twist to them that I enjoy. His more pop-rock songs are often commentary on society, containing these little political jabs. He tries out a lot of different styles, his lyrics make me giggle ("When the server's down, you sudo /sbin/reboot in a sheel"--like who sings about that!), his voice is great, his guitar playing makes me happy, and he's always looking to improve. He releases these remastered versions of his old albums, happily releases failed attempts at songs for funsies.

I just fangirl so hard over him. He's great.

• Like 1

I have been enjoying many New Artist Lately. Here are a few songs that I have really been enjoying.

One Republic-- Apologize, Secrets, GoodBye, Apathy

Usher-- His Mistakes, Moving Mountains, What's a Man to do ,Trading Places

Glasvegas-- Daddy Gone

Celtic Women-- You Raise Me Up

RZA --Fatal ( off of Blade)

Beyonce' -- He Still Loves Me.

Blake Shelton-- Nobody but Me, Cotton pikkin' time, Ol' Red

George Strait--Heartland, Troubadour, Check Yes or No, Carrying Your Love WIth Me, We Really Shouldn't Be Doing This, Write This Down.......

Ana Tijoux-- Shock

Edited by Reptoholic

• 2 weeks later...

Biggie smalls\notorious B.I.G - The what, Everyday Struggle, Suicidal thoughts, Juicy, Who shot yah, Dreams, Things done changed, Big Poppa, Mo Money Mo Problems, and just about every other song he's written :P

Symmetry - School days, Make me yours

And various other rappers...or at least songs with nice lyrics, and a decent beat :3

I love a variety of music.

Here is a couple of my what I like:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mfOWz_RJBz8

[media]http://youtu.be/E0slhWiBVr4

I am a huge fan of Linkin Park!

My Top 10 Favorite Songs Now:

01. Listen to Your Heart by Roxette

02. Life is Beautiful by Sixx A.M.

03. Who Says by Selena Gomez & The Scene

04. Secrets by Owl City

05. I Will Carry You by Clay Aiken

06. Fireflies by Owl City

07. Burn It Down by Linkin Park

08. Last Resort by Linkin Park

09. Don't Speak by No Doubt

10. Decode by Paramore

Edited by Sakura Rei

I love a variety of music.

Here is a couple of my what I like:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mfOWz_RJBz8

[media]http://youtu.be/E0slhWiBVr4

I am a huge fan of Linkin Park!

My Top 10 Favorite Songs Now:

01. Listen to Your Heart by Roxette

02. Life is Beautiful by Sixx A.M.

03. Who Says by Selena Gomez & The Scene

04. Secrets by Owl City

05. I Will Carry You by Clay Aiken

06. Fireflies by Owl City

07. Burn It Down by Linkin Park

08. Last Resort by Linkin Park

09. Don't Speak by No Doubt

10. Decode by Paramore

I have to admit, I really do enjoy Linkin Park as well and I still have that Clay Aiken Album from back in the day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Clay Aiken wasn't that bad, haha. And Linkin Park has been an integral part of my life!

More fangirling for me.

I love

LOVE

zero-project. Download all of their music now and bask in the glory. My first exposure was the Fairytale album, eventually branching to Disabled emotions suite and Ambient symphony.

My current obsession is this song. I'm a huge sap and this hits so many buttons for me it's amazing I didn't just start throwing money at my screen (that would require actually having money to begin with).

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TklSDmIpqo4

There's so much depth to zero-project's music and you can tell there's a story meant to be conveyed in all of it, which I could hardly say for the majority of my instrumental and ambient music, haha. Although most of it is quite dance-able and catchy, so it's not like it's all bad, haha.

I don't know a whole lot about music, but the ups and downs even this song, Letter to a princess, takes me through isn't something I experience with a lot of other artists. It's not really something you tend to hear on the radio either--it's stuff people associate with movies and video games, but they seem to forget this kind of music can easily stand on its own, no need for it to be attached to something else.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxl7IX8S_So

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Linkin Park - In The End

U2 - ISHFWILF

The Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dani California

Korn - Freak On a Leash

Limp Bizkit - Nookie

Depech Mode - Precious

Sting - Englishman In New York

Phil Collins - Another Day In Paradise

Foo Fighters - Best Of You

Blur - Song 2

Aerosmith - Don't Wanna Miss a Thing

Pink - So What

NSYNC - I Want You Back

Backstreet Boys - Everybody

Coldplay - Clocks

Papa Roach - Last Resort/Getting Away With Murder

and more.....

Edited by Mr.Z

• 1 month later...

I occasionally listen to the mainstream favorites, but I would say that I have my own preferences (though not highly eclectic)

My Top favorite genres are Classical, Classic rock and Japanese

to name some artists:

Bach, Haydn, Led Zeppelin, Beethoven, Chopin, Mahler, Beatles, Liszt, Rush, Nobuo Uematsu -- that's to name my mainstream taste

my more obscure and japanese preferences include:

soundtemp, Tamusic, IKU, Kei Olga, Stereopony, supercell, Itou Shizuka, eufonius

Raekwon The Chef Aka Lex Diamonds. one of the pioneers of the Mafioso rap sub- genre, his rap style, metaphors, skits on on his albums are just what Wu Tang Clan are famous for and not to forget about his legendary solo album which is still resonating through the Hip Hop World "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx....."

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Adele :smile:

Set Fire To The Rain

Rolling In The Deep

Ooh, I love Adele. She's so sassy.

I guess I'll make a list now.

Steam Powered Giraffe - Automatonic Electronic Harmonics, Brass Goggles, Suspender Man, just all of their songs really. I'd probably say they're my favorite group.

Ellie Goulding - I Need Your Love, Human, Dead in the Water

The Hoosiers - Cops and Robbers, Goodbye Mr. A, Everything Goes Dark

The Killers - Spaceman, Flesh and Bone, All These Things That I've Done

Nat King Cole - Autumn Leaves, Mona Lisa, Unforgettable. TALK ABOUT A TIME WARP.

Styx - Renegade, Come Sail Away, Lady

• 3 weeks later...

Pink Floyd - The Wall, Learning to Fly, and others

Shinedown

Disturbed - The Game, Believe, Rise, Darkness

Flaw - All of their music

Evanescence

Pink

Linkin Park - Meteora album

Klaatu - One of the best unknown bands ever(Everyone should listen to Calling Occupants at least once)

Taylor Swift

Adele

Melanie Martinez - Currently a contestant on The Voice

Stevie Nix

Demi Lavato

Cee Lo Green

etc, etc, etc

Pink Floyd - The Wall, Learning to Fly, and others

Shinedown

Disturbed - The Game, Believe, Rise, Darkness

Flaw - All of their music

Evanescence

Pink

Linkin Park - Meteora album

Klaatu - One of the best unknown bands ever(Everyone should listen to Calling Occupants at least once)

Taylor Swift

Adele

Melanie Martinez - Currently a contestant on The Voice

Stevie Nix

Demi Lavato

Cee Lo Green

etc, etc, etc

That is a nice variety, I will have to check out some of those Artists.

I love Pink. You can see the way her world views have changed through the years, but through it all she still has her independent attitude. Her music has resonated with me as I grew up listening to her stuff.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTCDVfMz15M

I like Taylor Swift well enough, but I only really seem to like the chorus of her songs, haha.

• 2 months later...

I normally tend to love individual songs, rather than the artists themselves. Some artists I do love are:

Vertical Horizon (Underwater, Everything You Want, Shackled)

Coldplay (Violet Hill, Cemeteries of London, Clocks)

Death Cab for Cutie (Soul Meets Body, Crooked Teeth, I Will Possess your Heart)

Also, ever since I'd watched the Kara no Kyoukai films, I've fallen in love with Kalafina's music. This is one song I can listen to any number of times and still never grow sick of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Ipb_gE2cY

(Please excuse the Spanish lyrics; I couldn't find a video with English lyrics)