Random Talk.

Talena Mae

I wouldn't know. He's the computer nerd in the family. Does all that amazing stuff with downloads, and proxy server's and such. He reminds me of that dude from Tron sometimes. But, whatever he did the computer caught a virus and I feel bad cause now I don't know how to fix it. I think the geek squad might be able to help but, they can be expensive sometimes.

Do you know what kind of virus it is? Its likely one that a simple virus-scanner could fix. If its one of those "pay us so it goes away" ones, you can just create dummy files and then delete it, it goes away in a flash. Unless its one that cripples the entire computer, you can just google it and fix it yourself 9/10 times.

If your brother is such a computer wiz, HE should know how to get rid of a virus if he catches one >.>. A true wiz doesn't catch a virus in the first place if he can help it though >.>.

Anyway, I'm getting an eHDD along with my build. Going for a WD mybook primarily to use for backups because I don't like seagate and it feels like the only HDD brands out there now are Seagate and WD...

@lamma

You know who's going to make the most money regardless of who wins the console war this generation? AMD. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I honestly feel like Intel LET AMD grab the spotlight in the consoles this generation. AMD's been suffering for a while now, this is the first really good news I've heard from them for months... maybe even a year.

BF4's going to make me go out and buy a tablet so I can play commander mode more effectively ^^.

You know who's going to make the most money regardless of who wins the console war this generation? AMD. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I honestly feel like Intel LET AMD grab the spotlight in the consoles this generation. AMD's been suffering for a while now, this is the first really good news I've heard from them for months... maybe even a year.

Doesn't intel own a hell of a lot of AMD stock? So I could see them giving it over, they already have basically all laptop sales under their control.

Intel = best single core processing

AMD = best multi-core processing

For gaming, Intel obviously is the better choice.

For anything using multiple cores at once, AMD is typically the way to go.

Since I can encode video using all the cores, AMD is my preferred CPU.

As for hard drives. Western Digital > Seagate any day.

Seagates are often DOA, and they're the only brand I've ever had problems with.

I don't like the energy saver drives.... but that's typically whats in every single external HDD.

I don't mind an energy saver as long as it's not in my computer as an internal drive ^^. My prefered drive right now for internal is the WD Red series which is incredibly cheap and has excellent performance statistics. Best of all, it's not got anything green about it :D.

I have no idea how much AMD stock Intel owns :P.

@Mute

Here you go

The one on the left is a 6 pin. The one on the right is a 6+2 pin. Most of the time 6 pins are used to supply extra power to higher end graphics cards. As you go up the chain you go from no extra power connectors to 1 6 pin, to 2 6 pins to 2 8 pins usually :D. The level you're looking to upgrade to usually requires one 6 pin connector. If you don't have one, you will need to make sure that whatever card you upgrade to doesn't need an extra power connector.

TOO MUCH COMPUTER TALK

That said, I'm going to talk more about computers, but more on the normal non-geek side. I got to go to a Microsoft store today :D. It was part of a special offer Microsoft extended my company to give us a guided tour of the new store ^^. It... it looked like a Microsoft version of the Apple store -_-. However! The thing I found most intriguing based on what the guys said is that the Microsoft store is offering FREE tech support to anyone with any product (including Apple). Of course you can pay to get better support from them, but this is still a move I find surprising. I don't know how they're going to train their employees to handle all the different hardware/software combinations they're going to face since Microsoft doesn't keep their stuff clamped down like Apple does... I also think that the store's gonna be quickly inundated with menial tech support since they're offering the service to businesses as well ._.'''. Anyway, I might go back there and buy something since I want a couple things from Microsoft for my build (the OS, Office, and a PC compatible controller ^^).

I never got as far as the computer store anyways...all my plans flew out the window since I been sick from the night before my birthday and I never took any medics because I didn't worry my mum. It sucks to be sick on your birthday, isn't it? but the hard drive issue is really serious, I need to get a good one because I need to take all my stuff out of my office laptop. So do you guys recommend Western Digital? Sorry for the more computer talk though..........

I never got as far as the computer store anyways...all my plans flew out the window since I been sick from the night before my birthday and I never took any medics because I didn't worry my mum. It sucks to be sick on your birthday, isn't it? but the hard drive issue is really serious, I need to get a good one because I need to take all my stuff out of my office laptop. So do you guys recommend Western Digital? Sorry for the more computer talk though..........

Western Digital will likely be a touch more expensive, but their drives will last longer. I would say to just find out whats on sale, then do a quick google search to see if the drive is ok or not. I bought both of my externals at around 50% off and both still work nicely

WD's bullshit hardware encryption is evil. You can't disable it, and if anything happens to the base unit, you're screwed even if the drive itself is perfectly fine.

I've never had a problem with seagate. Well, almost never. The last drive I bought from them wasn't working at first because the connector part was a little loose from the drive part. Once that was put together, it worked, and still works perfectly.

WD's bullshit hardware encryption is evil. You can't disable it, and if anything happens to the base unit, you're screwed even if the drive itself is perfectly fine.

I reformat the drives as soon as I get them and I never had any issues. Also I've taken the drives out of their external cases and installed them internally and everything worked fine.. so I'm honestly confused about what you're talking about.