Chatbox Temporarily Removed

Koby

Skype parties sound good in theory, but are even more bandwidth intensive than the CB. In my case, I have Kametsu open in the browser on my smaller secondary screen, while I have Youtube or whatever open on my main screen. This means, I can devote a little bit of attention to Kametsu, while focusing on what I'm mainly doing. If I see a CB message that looks interesting, I'll drop in and say hey. Same thing I'll be doing with the IM replacement hopefully, an informal system where you can just drop in and say whatever, whereas (for me at least) forum posts are a bit more formal, have to be more thought out and better constructed. What I say in the Chatbox I would never say in the forums.

Haha, just a suggestion is all. They are quite bandwidth heavy. Painful for trying to play something and having a party.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I say in the Chatbox I would never say in the forums.

Whilst I don't particularly mourn the temporary loss of the chatbox, I can agree with the sentiment of the above. The chatbox has the positive of only recording a finite number of messages which get overwritten with new ones whereas, unless it gets deleted, anything you say in a thread is on the site forever.

Take my games threads for example. I try to keep those updated with salient information for those that are interested in the games but I wouldn't put any old rubbish in there just for the post count.

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if the chatbox never returned because, whilst it is a good place for an informal discussion or just to say hello to folks, it is, in principle, a distraction from the main forum. If Koby thinks that it is detracting from the rest of the site then he has every rights to remove it.

Quite frankly, if you don't like it you can go somewhere else. The problem with that is you would no longer have access to the best anime downloads on the internet plus one of the best communities I've ever been in. That's why I set up my games here, to give back to the community and they even have Koby in!

I've only been here since April but I've already managed to donate $30 so sure there is a part of me that is slightly cynical about the move but at the end of the day you are in no way tied to the site. It's the same as subscription for an MMO. If they change or remove content in such a way you then find paying money undesirable, you can cancel your subscription and move on, like I did after Cataclysm.

I think overall my feelings are that of curiosity more than anything else. I wonder how this is going to affect the rest of the forum. Will it actually increase posts? Who knows. I like the challenge of increasing my post average though. I normally wouldn't have even posted in this thread, I usually just read them as I didn't really have an opinion on the matter but, if you think about it, the removal of the chatbox has already had an effect in that I've written this post.

And in my view, and again, i stress MY VIEW, we have utterly and completely failed. More often than once, I've witnessed a scene in which a newbie came to the CB and asked a stupid question like "Where/How do i post?" or "1 ... 2 ... 3 ... 4 ... 5 ... i'm off to get my anime." and yes, I know they're stupid questions but these guys are noobs, just like you once were (Surely you didn't become a master at Halo withing 10 minutes after playing it?) and what do i see but them getting rebuked angrily to just go figure it out (yes, I'm pointing at you, oldies. Like it or not, in a way, it's your fault the CB closed down.)

This is actually done by pretty much all of our staff and it eats away at me when I see it happen.

Honestly.. I think a lot of the staff rather abuse their positions.

The best idea would've been to enforce the rules of the CB viz. if someone starts shit up, just mute the guy.

No warnings. No do overs.

Mute the guy and wait for him/her to calm the fuck down and if they don't, perm mute them.

I get that it's nice having a lenient staff which isn't on a power trip all the time but when the public takes advantage of that, it's time to put a foot down.

again.. if I were to actually enforce those rules then 90% of the actual staff themselves would be muted. You wouldn't believe how many times in just the past 3 days the staff themselves have gone overboard and seemingly abused n00bs and their power in the CB.

Another way of handling this could be by including more customizable features in the vbShop. So far, the only things there are stuff which let you change your appearance somewhat but if we add some features like "Buying IMG posting privileged" or a new set of smileys, it might encourage people to actually spend their Gil and there will be a time when they run out of it and will HAVE to post to earn more.

It's all experimental however and I can't confirm whether it'll succeed or fail.

In the end, it comes down to the quality of our members and whether they can expand or not.

Problem with this is... well I'd have to code all these features myself as they aren't something included in the plug-in and unfortunately while I do know what I'm doing.. I'm not skilled enough to do what all that would require to do. Thus why unfortunately we are extremely limited with what we can do with the shop.

To me the CB was a good way to chat to ppl without sending them PM's but as stated by many people I have seen it get outta hand one to many times. It will be interesting to see how the forum reacts to the CB Temporarily removed. While its true I use the CB instead of posting in the forums I try to post in topics I can really talk my heart and soul into and not just post for the sake of posting.

Sadly I agree with Indy, most of us just bash new people when they post stupid questions in the Chat box. Though to some extent they do deserve it, if I remember correctly, when you first sign up here you are encouraged to read the rules and whatnot.Most of the people who ask"How do I post?' or "Why u no let me d'l Naruto Shippuden english dub?" or"why I post 5 times in cb and no get downloads?" along with a volley of other questions at varying degrees of bad spelling, would have all their questions answered if they weren't too lazy to read the rules first, though that doesn't mean we should yell at them. Honestly the only member who isn't guilty of this is Good ol Shade.

Plus if you take into account the Drama fest the Cb has become(cue bold and beautiful theme music), contributed in part by me admittedly, this seems all the more necessary.

Sadly I agree with Indy, most of us just bash new people when they post stupid questions in the Chat box. Though to some extent they do deserve it, if I remember correctly, when you first sign up here you are encouraged to read the rules and whatnot.Most of the people who ask"How do I post?' or "Why u no let me d'l Naruto Shippuden english dub?" or"why I post 5 times in cb and no get downloads?" along with a volley of other questions at varying degrees of bad spelling, would have all their questions answered if they weren't too lazy to read the rules first, though that doesn't mean we should yell at them. Honestly the only member who isn't guilty of this is Good ol Shade.

Plus if you take into account the Drama fest the Cb has become(cue bold and beautiful theme music), contributed in part by me admittedly, this seems all the more necessary.

Lol who wouldn't go tell a noob to go piss off? Most of the time they are lazy pricks and don't bother reading but ask dumbass question. Or they are either impatient. You be surprised on how many don't know how to use search. Kinda sad >.>

So I'm guessing I might be one of the only people who doesn't look down on newbies and answers all there questions as friendly as possible.

No you aren't, but you are one of the few...

On to the topic of this thread, I kinda agree with this idea. I haven't gotten to 500 posts, and to be honest I have been really slack about even trying to post, but I'm going to try and change that, I just don't normally have anything to add to a thread...

For me, the Chatbox has always been a place to just hang out and talk about whatever. If drama starts, I just log off and do something else for an hour or so. But a lot of times, I see fights and stuff going on, and just keep out of it. It's kind of sad, and I totally understand the ideas behind removing it. I'd be sad to see it go, but it is what it is.

As for the post count... I don't think I'm a really aggressive poster. I just see a topic I haven't posted in before or something that interests me, and I'll say something. But there are a lot of topics I just bypass, especially because I haven't seen a lot of anime. (How I ever ended up here, I'll never know, haha.) However, I have managed to make at least a post a day (according to my stats), and I don't think that's a lot to ask of others, considering the number of topics on the boards.

imo whether CB comes back in a week or never doesn't really matter. Koby and Indy put it really well. After all we came to this site for the awesomeness of anime! The Forum, the awesome content, and the cool people. So really CB is okay sure, I've used it like once, but at the end of the day this is Kametsu Forums, not Kametsu ChatBox. And if removing CB can some how help the site then by all means I am for it. The site in general is a privilege, I can't think of a better site to find anime. And CB if anything would be a bonus, and some dedication shown through posts makes sense.

I'm not that big on anime, I watch what I like. Games I haven't played even a fraction of the ones mentioned on the board, so there really aren't as many topics for me to post in as there are for others. I post when I see something that looks interesting, this 500 post thing is a little ridiculous. I feel like you're trying to force people into posting about things they don't know, or care about, just to get back one of the features we all like.

For me, the Chatbox has always been a place to just hang out and talk about whatever. If drama starts, I just log off and do something else for an hour or so. But a lot of times, I see fights and stuff going on, and just keep out of it. It's kind of sad, and I totally understand the ideas behind removing it. I'd be sad to see it go, but it is what it is.

^--- This is my thought when I come here and wanna talk.. xD,I also know that the shoutbox is a Double Edged Sword for most forum's since alot of people troll,fight,or bring the drama lama into it.

Though tbh I can get like 1500 posts within a half a year,although because the RP section is slow here and there aren't a big group of Final Fantasy Dissidia Duodecim Fan's here it may take me awhile to even reach 300 lol XD

Anyway I'm not complaining about the removal being new I enjoyed talking in it to make a few friends and learn the basic do's and don't's of this forum.

Anywho My opinion's on it are since its temporary I'm sure it'll be back sooner than later I for one think the post requirement is a nice idea just maybe clip the amount down to 250-300 or make it cost some gil to get the SB to Appear.

but again I'm just a newbie who's semi decent at graphic's so I may be off base xD