Chatbox Temporarily Removed

Koby

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all due respect, Koby. What are the "Right" reasons to be here? You're always saying that those who only do 5 posts to get to the downloads are here for the wrong reasons, now the people who are primarily here for the friends we made in the CB are here for the wrong reasons. So how about you explain what you think the "right" reasons are.

No worries bro. ^_^ Well that stinks koby.. and I understand what you guys mean by it wont help long term members start being more "active".. I have another idea though! for the year and a half that I have been a member of kametsu I have never seen a new section' date=' for example: "Shinra Headquarters", "Media Central", "Content Distro", and "Tantalus Hideout".. Maybe a 5th section would be a nice idea to get people focused on posting rather than using the CB all the time because that section would be more interesting/productive! This is only my idea so if you decide to do this of course you can change it any way you want!

My idea would be to add a "Development" section, for game developement subsection(content as in 3d models, tutorials, user help, etc), user created/and or hosted game servers subsection, a Youtube videos subsection of users finished work, General Bussiness plans/ development subsection, and a random development subsection! To sum it up there would be a new main section, "Development" and 5 subsections. Good idea? why or why not? (I sound like an annoying college instructor dont I? xDD)

Edit1: lama thats not a new section xD

It's a start in the right direction for ideas sure, but I don't think creating a whole new section for a topic such as that would have much benefit or be used a whole lot. A rather limited amount of the Kametsu user base actually has any knowledge with game development (I sure don't). Besides you, nemarious, and a couple others I really don't know who else could possibly use it. So if we did add something towards this it'd likely be a single sub-forum until it grew to a size that needed expanding upon.

With all due respect, Koby. What are the "Right" reasons to be here? You're always saying that those who only do 5 posts to get to the downloads are here for the wrong reasons, now the people who are primarily here for the friends we made in the CB are here for the wrong reasons. So how about you explain what you think the "right" reasons are.

That question has a pretty common sense answer.

The main reason to join a community forum is to make friends and be an actual member of the community in the actual forum by discussing common interests with the other members of that community.

Those here just to spam 5 posts to gain access to downloads obviously aren't here for the community forum itself. Likewise those just lurking the CB aren't coming here for the reason the site exists to start with-- the community forum. CB-only users don't contribute to the actual community at all.

If the CB is part of the community, then the people who are in it are contributing. I've been part of other forums that didn't have a CB, and didn't make any real friends out of it, in spite of having many people on there that I liked posting with, there just wasn't the same level of closeness. If we'd been offline, we would have been pen pals at best.

The friends I've made here, in part because of the CB, are the kind that I'd invite over for dinner if there weren't so many miles between us.

Maybe I don't have the post count of some of the others, but I've always posted when I saw a thread I had an opinion on, and cared about the topic on. And I will continue to do so. I think you're going the wrong direction with this, but you won't listen to me anyway.

If the CB is part of the community, then the people who are in it are contributing. I've been part of other forums that didn't have a CB, and didn't make any real friends out of it, in spite of having many people on there that I liked posting with, there just wasn't the same level of closeness. If we'd been offline, we would have been pen pals at best.

The friends I've made here, in part because of the CB, are the kind that I'd invite over for dinner if there weren't so many miles between us.

Maybe I don't have the post count of some of the others, but I've always posted when I saw a thread I had an opinion on, and cared about the topic on. And I will continue to do so. I think you're going the wrong direction with this, but you won't listen to me anyway.

The posts in the CB do absolutely nothing except take away discussions that could be had in the forum. I think you aren't getting the fact that the CB is an addition to the forum, not the focus of the entire site. Sure a CB helps with small talk and allows you to more closely chat with other members, but neglecting the forum to do so is never a good thing and that's exactly what has been done. The only way to encourage those to use the CB when needed, but still post in the forum when able, is to do away with the CB for a while. I don't know how to make it any clearer.

It may not seem like it, but I have read and listened to every post of this topic. However so far for the most part the only ones who thought the removal of the CB was a bad idea has been those who haven't been apart of the community in a long time or never at all. While the majority of people who have been apart of the community has thus far agreed the removal was for the best.

I've actually had several staff members continually advise me to remove it within the past year and I didn't... and as a result I've watched this community crumble. Everyone is so bitter in the CB. The last 4 times I saw any new members post in the CB they were attacked by the CB regulars. If I wasn't so nice of a person.. I'd likely have suspended everyone involved. It's these same people who refuse to be apart of the community that only lurk in the CB and then disrespect and attack the new members who try to say something in their 'sacred CB'. When/If the CB is reinstated I may just go and ban everyone of those people from the CB.

The reason for the CB being accessible to those with 500+ posts is not a sign that I expect people to post that much to gain access to the CB at all. In fact I don't intend anyone to try and reach that for access. I only set it like that so the CB would still be accessible to those who had been active. If there was a setting to set it for x-posts in last x days or something I'd rather have set it like that but there wasn't. The whole 500 posts thing was set only as a temporary measure while the rest of the forum does without the CB. However it seems people think the reason was to force them to posts that much, which was not my intention at all.

Nya :(

I know I can't speak for everyone, but I have not been as active as I wanted to be, because I have not had the time. I pop in to see how people are doing, and the CB is perfect for that. I do not think that removing the CB will do anything to help the community to be closer.

I do not think that removing the CB will do anything to help the community to be closer.

At the same time-- a dead forum because everyone stays in the CB means a pointless existence for a forum. The point isn't getting the community closer as we've gotten to that point. The point is reviving a dying forum, in which the main cause is the CB.

The CB is the best way to bring members closer, but it's also the easiest way to kill a forum too. It's a double-edged sword.

I think that the main cause is people not posting. I do not think blaming the CB is the answer. Every time I was in it, people were friendly and helpful. I think that what is causing people to not post, is that some people are lazy and do not want to look for a topic that means something to them, or make it themselves. I won't have much time for this place until at least the end of the semester, but I hope that everyone I like is still around by then.

Koby, how about you make it so that you need to post 4-5 times in order to view the cb for that day. Then it resets after 24 hours and they need to post 4-5 times again in order to view the cb again.

He said that it will not let him do that.

Could it maybe be tied into the same system as the message that tells you you have not posted in awhile?

Koby, how about you make it so that you need to post 4-5 times in order to view the cb for that day. Then it resets after 24 hours and they need to post 4-5 times again in order to view the cb again.

Already said that I'd have liked to do something like that but can't.

The reason for the CB being accessible to those with 500+ posts is not a sign that I expect people to post that much to gain access to the CB at all. In fact I don't intend anyone to try and reach that for access. I only set it like that so the CB would still be accessible to those who had been active. If there was a setting to set it for x-posts in last x days or something I'd rather have set it like that but there wasn't. The whole 500 posts thing was set only as a temporary measure while the rest of the forum does without the CB. However it seems people think the reason was to force them to posts that much, which was not my intention at all.

If it could be, then you could maybe change the code for that message so that it came up every day, and wouldn't let you into the CB until you make it go away.

Unless that message is hard coded into the forum software. I wouldn't know, not an admin, or even that active a member, but my lack of activity has nothing to do with the CB. Whether it's there or not won't change a thing for me.

I just want to say one thing: Thanks Koby.

You made me realize that I do not post enough. I've been here for a year and my post count should probably be higher than 200, maybe 1000. I mostly came here for anime downloads and watching people saying random things in the Chatbox. But it's the first forum where I actually did something and I want it to stay alive, so I am going to post more everyday, as long as it does not keep me from doing my homework and stuff.

But it would be nice to see the chatbox again, not on the main page though, because it takes a lot of resource to update it at every 5sec (or something) for everyone who's on the Main page.

If it could be, then you could maybe change the code for that message so that it came up every day, and wouldn't let you into the CB until you make it go away.

Unless that message is hard coded into the forum software. I wouldn't know, not an admin, or even that active a member, but my lack of activity has nothing to do with the CB. Whether it's there or not won't change a thing for me.

What message?

What message?

The one Fumi was talking about that tells you you haven't posted in weeks. If it could be changed to "today" instead of "in weeks" and changed to appear every day. You could possibly set it up so that you can't get into the CB if you see that message. So that people would have to post at least once per day.

I'm a CB reg... But I have also advised Koby to remove the chatbox in the past (Yes, I know I asked to let donators have access in this thread). I know I dont post as much as I once did (now that I have a job) but I am trying to improve upon that.

And having said that, I think removing the CB would be good for the forum. We have a facebook group and MSN to talk with people if the need be so ya... though it is only a temp thing now, I say make it official and remove the whole thing.

If the people are only staying here for the chatbox and not the actual forum then there is something wrong...

The one Fumi was talking about that tells you you haven't posted in weeks. If it could be changed to "today" instead of "in weeks" and changed to appear every day. You could possibly set it up so that you can't get into the CB if you see that message. So that people would have to post at least once per day.

Well the way the notice system works for those who haven't posted is that it's shown then. Those who have posted it isn't shown. I might be able to work out a code to tie the CB in with it but the problem is that would be backward as there isn't an option in the notices to show a notice if someone 'has' posted. However I may be able to work out an if/else statement that will load the CB if a certain notice isn't present, but I'm not positive is this would be possible with the way the CB and Notice system currently are. I'd have to look into it more and test it out, but it would be something worth looking into.

I agree with Mute and Fumi on this. To tear away social circles/gatherings that the members have made because the forum is not getting enough attention is ridiculous.. The premise of the forum is a bit passive anyways; posting downloads, and talking about "which character is better" doesn't lead to really fruitful or active discussions. So people talk to each other instead. I think if you take away the cb permanently then the forum would be dead a lot more often. Unless, you change your ideas - say, you create something in the forum that is ACTIVELY interesting, all the time. Like signature of the week and other gatherings/contests/events having to do with anime. Otherwise, this place is only good for downloading anime. It wouldn't be much different than having a youtube account and occasionally bumping into a fellow uploader. At any rate, the cbox is your foot in the door for less active users to stay with you. I personally don't download anime here; so then you would probably be removing my reason to come here. Does this make me a worthless/pointless member? I'm actually kind of curious.

I agree with Mute and Fumi on this. To tear away social circles/gatherings that the members have made because the forum is not getting enough attention is ridiculous.. The premise of the forum is a bit passive anyways; posting downloads, and talking about "which character is better" doesn't lead to really fruitful or active discussions. So people talk to each other instead. I think if you take away the cb permanently then the forum would be dead a lot more often. Unless, you change your ideas - say, you create something in the forum that is ACTIVELY interesting, all the time. Like signature of the week and other gatherings/contests/events having to do with anime. Otherwise, this place is only good for downloading anime. It wouldn't be much different than having a youtube account and occasionally bumping into a fellow uploader. At any rate, the cbox is your foot in the door for less active users to stay with you. I personally don't download anime here; so then you would probably be removing my reason to come here. Does this make me a worthless/pointless member? I'm actually kind of curious.

You fail to grasp the situation and understand the CB is a privileged extension of the forum. If a topic you want to discuss doesn't exist, then make it. Don't blame the forum for your laziness and lack of creation. You clearly do not understand the point of a CB or a community forum for that matter.

I've still yet to see a worthwhile post as to why the CB removal is a bad thing. With each and every post thus far, it continues to strengthen and prove the reason it needed to be removed in the first place.