Good Anime's that went down hill

Lelouch1199

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood went downhill quick. It took a good story and rushed it.. then ended with one of the shittiest cliched shounen endings possible.

Code Geass went downhill majorly with shitty amateurish story telling, pacing, and over-obsessive use of deus-ex machina to fix broken story points. The ending redeemed it somewhat.

Ikkitousen. Excellent first season, but all seasons after just get worse and worse.

Soul Eater... started of epic then decided to go the route of anime-only shittiest ending ever.

Eh, the ones I can remember of right now are Neon Genesis Evangelion and Bleach. Eva started out fine but by the ending episodes, i.e. last two episodes, they fucked up the plot and ruined it. End of Evangelion was named as a sequel to the series and pretty much glazed the ending but it was confusing, nonetheless. And when it comes to Bleach, everyone knows how shitty it has become... I used to really like that series up till episode 64 but after those, they added fillers and pretty much fucked up the thing.

Eh, the ones I can remember of right now are Neon Genesis Evangelion and Bleach. Eva started out fine but by the ending episodes, i.e. last two episodes, they fucked up the plot and ruined it. End of Evangelion was named as a sequel to the series and pretty much glazed the ending but it was confusing, nonetheless. And when it comes to Bleach, everyone knows how shitty it has become... I used to really like that series up till episode 64 but after those, they added fillers and pretty much fucked up the thing.

Evangelion's ending actually worked out pretty well. Granted, no where near the best ending of all time. Even once one understands a lot of what happened in the end, it still left a lot of holes. With the Rebuild movies coming closer to an end, it'll be interesting to see where the series ends this go around.

My favorite example of a good anime that went downhill would probably be Inuyasha. Started off as a fantastic anime. But once the Band Of Seven episodes ended (around the start of season 6, I believe) the series started going down. A bunch of fillers plus no solid ending really hurt the series. Even though they eventually went back and finished the series (which were pretty hit-and-miss for me) the fact they didn't do it all in one go certainly didn't help the series.

My favorite example of a good anime that went downhill would probably be Inuyasha. Started off as a fantastic anime. But once the Band Of Seven episodes ended (around the start of season 6, I believe) the series started going down. A bunch of fillers plus no solid ending really hurt the series. Even though they eventually went back and finished the series (which were pretty hit-and-miss for me) the fact they didn't do it all in one go certainly didn't help the series.

The problem with any long running series is they start the anime series too quickly and eventually catch up. The manga didn't end till way way after they had already ended the series open ended. A huge portion of Inuyasha was filler or at least seemed like filler, but if you cut those out you got a nice short series that does really well once you add the Final Act with it. They did the best they could given the circumstances but the way licensing works... everyone has to rush to get the series licensed and then meet the licensing requirements which usually entail they have to release weekly episodes within a certain amount of time.. So yeah all the starts that happen way too soon is all because of the way licensing works... and fillers and such can be blamed on that alone usually.

The problem with any long running series is they start the anime series too quickly and eventually catch up. The manga didn't end till way way after they had already ended the series open ended. A huge portion of Inuyasha was filler or at least seemed like filler, but if you cut those out you got a nice short series that does really well once you add the Final Act with it. They did the best they could given the circumstances but the way licensing works... everyone has to rush to get the series licensed and then meet the licensing requirements which usually entail they have to release weekly episodes within a certain amount of time.. So yeah all the starts that happen way too soon is all because of the way licensing works... and fillers and such can be blamed on that alone usually.

They should make open contracts where an episode is made after a prerequisite amount of manga is released. And of course one or two small filler episodes every so often wouldnt hurt.

• 3 weeks later...

Whenever I think of an anime that started off great but then went down hill the first one that comes into my head is The Familiar of Zero (Zero no Tsukaima). I thought the first season was brilliant, it had hilarious comedy and a nice story line. But then in season 2 it lost a lot of it's wit and class because it's comedy became about the size of the women's boobs, which after a while just isn't funny.

They should make open contracts where an episode is made after a prerequisite amount of manga is released. And of course one or two small filler episodes every so often wouldnt hurt.
Not only is that unconventional. But it is utterly stupid. It places a burden on the author by fans on a medium that isn't even their art. No, just n-o.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

I pretty much agree with all of those that have already been listed. But I'd also add in Mobile Suit Gundam 00.

At first it seemed cool and pretty awesome with Gundam being set in a somewhat realistic future setting. But then it just got to the point where it became really lame. And I think at points it became way to similar to gundam seed, and destiny.

ah.. one that bothered me a lot was rurouni kenshin.

it was so promising in the beginning, but up until they got to kyoto, it became to dry on quality. over playing kenshins inner killer. and restating the past way to often.

they even go beyond this to two other ridiculous stories and a BS ending.

it could have been so much better, the OVA's were alright, a bit to much talking then action but when there was a fight it was pretty bloody and cool.

Pretty sure nobody will disagree with me on this one: Gundam Seed Destiny

Fell very flat after launch, with such a terrible protagonist, the hero from the last series stole the show, thus making a terrible mess out of it. I love all the characters from SEED (well except Flay...) and boy, i really have to agree Kira was too invincible. Which would have been ok, if he was used sparingly (like some relevant plot point where he talks some sense into Shin or 11th hour hero). But man, he became the main hero and because Shin was so incredibly unlikable, you had to root for Kira.

I have to admit, i ate every single minute of that show up despite the mediocrity.

Black Cat was kick ass until the main character went goober. I mean seriously, he starts out all dark and broody then his love interest dies and he does a 180 to mr. happy go lucky? WTF?

Air Gear, it was kick ass till the whole cage fight bull. I loved the whole blade gang culture they had going but they moved the emphasis from skating to fighting and took the whole road thing way too far and got a little supernatural which kinda killed it for me, with what they had for a series, doing something more on the realistic side of things, like beck, would have been major kickass, and drop the philosophy and spiritual bull.

Code Geass, season 2 went downhill, been discussed enough I won't bother

Tenjou Tenge, had a cool start but the story kept going in random directions, and then was dropped before getting finished, but went downhill around the time when they rehashed all the past events of years before

Steel Angel Kurumi, 1st season was a good show and they should have stopped, 2nd season they got way to carried away with the whole lesbian love triangle thing, and it just kind of sucked

Death Note went downhill after L died

Code Geass started out well, first season went good, second season started to go down hill big time... Death Note too. first 2-3 episodes were really good, after that it all just got predictable and boring. Same with Naruto is also a prime example.

But if not the biggest one for me; Gundam Seed Destiny. First part was pretty strong, but after they reintroduced Kira, it just started to suck big time.