How Often do you reinstall your OS?

CaelThunderwing

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do it every few months or so, mostly out of pure boredom. Re-installing is a quick and easy process for me since I keep all the installers for my programs on my storage drive, so the whole process might take about 2 hours depending on how fast I want to work. It's a process I actually enjoy.

Heh, I remember back when I used to make my own custom XP disks I would format every month to test new addons and other tweaks.

I don't unless I ABSOLUTELY have to. Reason being, on XP I can only activate it 5x using the same key before the key becomes invalid so with limited amount of times to install I never wanted to use them all up. This PC definitely could use a fresh install but I'm too lazy to bother with it and probably wont until it just flat out doesn't work. It's already to the point that a lot of stuff doesn't work, gives off errors, and it freezes up sometimes but meh.

Hmm..is it weird that I've never reinstalled my Os before, I mean I installed it on any computers that I've built, but it never really dawned on me to reinstall it for any reason and so far the only time I've ver had problems due to freezez, crashes and unstable performance were all due to hardware problems.

I usually do a reinstall once every year but I haven't done it for the past year and half out of laziness. I think when I finally do reinstall it I'm going to do it right and clone that partition so I won't have to go through the hassle of redownloading all the damn windows updates every time I reinstall.

I don't unless I ABSOLUTELY have to. Reason being, on XP I can only activate it 5x using the same key before the key becomes invalid so with limited amount of times to install I never wanted to use them all up. This PC definitely could use a fresh install but I'm too lazy to bother with it and probably wont until it just flat out doesn't work. It's already to the point that a lot of stuff doesn't work, gives off errors, and it freezes up sometimes but meh.

I "reinstall" my os every month, technically speaking and as a Linux user, I don't upgrade but reinstall the os, and use a dynamic home for all my programs and files, so I get them after reinstalling the os without any hassle, on windows pc, I do it whenever it takes more than 10s to start PS >:)

I remember hearing that OS like Xp tends to build up a lot of garbage in the registry due to programs not cleaning up entries that no longer valid, and it was suggested to reinstall at least once a year.

it's what I do since I have backed up all documents,videos and images on my external hard drives.

I normally only reinstall when I have to, which has been 4 times in the last three years (that's when I go my laptop), but the last time was 9 months ago. Though my computer is a bit bogged down and I might just reinstall if I ever have the time just to clean it up a bit.

i reinstall 2-3 times a year on average, last year i did a format with sector wipe about every month do to the fact my poor laptop is used by a hand full of people, some of them don't know how to avoid a virus <_< i have a dual boot, windows XP *Black editions so i don't have to use a stupid activation code.* and windows 7 32 bit.

I hate reinstalling windows :P... I try my best to avoid it unless it's completely necessary. Something I started doing recently was installing my OS on a backup hard drive with all my programs on it ready to go. So if anything were to happen to my current install I could just swap hard drives.

i haven't had to on my windows 7 laptop. I defrag and clean out the registry and any other junk once a week though. Haven't felt any clunkiness at all yet, it's been almost 2 years.

Just curious, to anyone who knows:

what would be the difference between reinstalling and just restoring back to a post-install system restore point?