How Often do you reinstall your OS?

CaelThunderwing

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i Self inflict endless pain and torture ..err. "Reinstall" My OS once a year (lil joke on how much a pain it is to recover from re-install)

im dualbooting between Windows 7 32bit and 64bit. just debating if i should make 64bit the main OS despite it'd only let me access a mere extra 512MB Ram

I install my OS once in 3 years and except only if there is some real problem. I'd suggest you install a 32 bit OS bcoz there are very few

64bit applications. When you run 32 bit apps in a 64bit OS, the app is emulated in it to run as 32bit which uses more resources than it'd do on a 32bit OS. If you use man 64bit programs on ur computer then a 64bit os is fine.

I never reinstall.

Instead, I back up a disc image with Acronis and keep it on a 1TB external drive. So, if Windows goes south on me or I have a drive crash, I can easily recover.

WARNING:

I have seen virus files being stored in the Windows Restore data so that if you use Windows Restore, you will still be infected.

• 3 weeks later...
I never reinstall.

Instead, I back up a disc image with Acronis and keep it on a 1TB external drive. So, if Windows goes south on me or I have a drive crash, I can easily recover.

WARNING:

I have seen virus files being stored in the Windows Restore data so that if you use Windows Restore, you will still be infected.

+1 , backup your OS

I never reinstall.

WARNING:

I do the same with Acronis. After a clean install boot off the Acronis cd and image the disc. I then make an incremental copy after visting windows update which makes a much smaller 2nd tib file which I burn to dvd. BTW Acronis can access images stored on or copied to usb drives after booting from cd/dvd. Finaly I install a daily use version with all my favorite programs and create an additional full backup that I leave an a second partion. I use this one to keep virus and trouble free without having to go all the way back and re-install everything. Takes 3 min. to restore a hard drive from a tib image file and I am sure it's clean and safe. Additonal Incremental or differential backups allow for roll backs without worry. Only real concern with Acronis and win xp is the newer harddrives with the new 4k formating. I think Only version 14 and up properly restores the sectors correctly. I saw this at seagate's website. They give acronis away free with their drives.

-adog

• 2 months later...

If you ask me whoever that has to reinstall Windows more than 1 time a year than you are doing something wrong. I absolutely don't recommend it unless you really need to. Been using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit for two years now and still runs fast even at boot. No problems with it. I believe it's how you treat and look after it. I run garbage collection and a defragmenter every 2 weeks. I only use CCleaner and Defraggler, they are the only two you need. CCleaner has a registry cleaner as well. The only time I reinstall windows is when I deleted it to install Linux and want to get Windows back again.

• 2 months later...
I never do it unless I have to (virus, etc.). I haven't had to with my Windows 7 64-bit, thank goodness. Should I? Is there a recommended schedule?

No you really don't have to reinstall unless you are having problems with it. I am just paranoid cause I work in the computer industry and like to know I have a clean PC there are some virus and malware that can't be detected by anitvirus software so it is more for my peace of mind then anything else.