Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX (Kingdom Hearts 1, Re:Chain of Memories, 358/2 Days) Discussion

Riku

Kingdom hearts was one of those games that played on your childhood. Its popular because of the nostalgia it brings. Not due to being really innovative in anyway. If you weren't a disney kid, i wouldn't expect you to appreciate it.

The story was a confusing mess that we still don't know everything about. Some people call it depth, others call it plot holes. The story progression never really flowed well in my opinion anyways. The combat was very boring for a long time until skills started to make things interesting and the different forms in 2 were a great way to shake things up. Graphically they were pretty good for the PS2. Not the best, but it did justice for the style. 

Judging KH from any of the titles other than the first 2 on the PS2, isn't really fair since that's like dropping into the middle of a book with no idea what the premise is.

I will say that the 1.5 remix was nice in that it fixed a lot of the controls of the first KH.

Edited by Shadow Links
  • Like 1

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with a lot of points about KH, The storyline I didn't even know what was going on and it drops me smack bang into the story without any background whatsoever on the characters, worlds, ect... :/

KH2 I thought was the better version imho so I'm pretty hyped for KH3 when it comes out

I like a few of the kindome hearts games.

Recoded and Dream Drop.

It is not nostalgic to me bacause I started playing it when 3/365 days came out, I did not like that one.

Have not played the Playstation Kingodom hearts games yet, but I played a little bit of the GBA.

As for Final Fantasy, I only like the old ones, and one of the newer DS ones.

Chrono Triger is made by Akira Toriyama who does Dragon Ball Dr. Slump and Dragon Quest, yeah I like it, he doed good stories, other wise I would not care if he made it or not, if his stories wern't good.

I didn't like KH1, but KH2 was great once you got past that long ass introduction with RoXas. Unfortunately Square-Enix introductions seem to be getting longer; example, Final Fantasy XIII was still introducing tutorials etc.. 16 hours into it.

KH1 the sound effects were annoying, the battle system seemed unfinished, and the movement just seemed choppy so much so that I for real was getting motion sickness trying to play the game. Luckily they fixed all this in KH2.

• Like 1

I didn't like KH1, but KH2 was great once you got past that long ass introduction with RoXas. Unfortunately Square-Enix introductions seem to be getting longer; example, Final Fantasy XIII was still introducing tutorials etc.. 16 hours into it.

KH1 the sound effects were annoying, the battle system seemed unfinished, and the movement just seemed choppy so much so that I for real was getting motion sickness trying to play the game. Luckily they fixed all this in KH2.

i quite agree with you there, i felt that the original kh's combat system was stale lacking and unfinished the plot i felt was better then the second and in particular i loved the metal chocobo keyblade but the second one was far better in terms of combat aside from roxas's obscenely long introduction, few games have had me on the edge of my seat going fuck fuck fuck like KH2 did repeatedly as my tactical mind tried everything it could think of to win

I can't even remember the control scheme for Kingdom Hearts 1 because I played Kingdom hearts 2 years later, and even then, I got a quater of the way and then finally finished the game some more years down the line... I think each Kingdom hearts is good for one thing or another or should I say they focus on different things.

If you are more into the disney side of things, then I think that Kingdom Hearts 1 is best for those fans as they are heavily involved in the story from the begining to the end.

Kingdom hearts chain of memories focuses on the card battle system, though originally I think this was just because of the GBA's limitations, either way the battle system sucked and the story felt like a rushed version of kingdom hearts 1, but with the focus on memory over heart... Kingdom hearts re:chain of memories tried to make its story tie in more with Kingdom hearts 1 and 2 stories more so than the original chain of memories. Though it was orignally suppose to be filler while we were waiting for Kingdom Hearts 2 to be released.

Kingdom Hearts 2 tried to focus less on the disney characters (who pretty much became side joke characters) and more on their own origninal characters (the main trio and organisation xiii) as well as giving the Final fantasy characters their own mini story. (definitely to rack up the sales).

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days is probably the best in terms of story imo as it covers each day upto a year (a diary of the characters life and emotions), and there is a lot of character development for most of the characters. Gameplay however... was the most repetitive in the series (similar to crisis core mission mode) and I can see why they turned it into a cutscene movie for the Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD remix... though they did say that they lost the original files and had to start from scratch.

Haven't played the rest as of yet (played birth by sleep upto the first save point) so I will hold judgement on those titles.

I think Kingdom Hearts 1 was better than 2 in terms of story, but 2 beats kingdom hearts 1 in pretty much everything else.

Edited by Anon316

I'll agree that KH is over-hyped to a huge degree, but I still find it fun, and the story charming in a very stupid way.

Can anyone follow the story at this point, without a wiki page opened?

This guy is a bad guy, who becomes sort of good, but then goes bad, who then goes bad with a different name and look, and then out of fucking nowhere...SORA and shit?

I'm guessing if you ignore the spin-off/side-story stuff it's fine.

But even the two main games get a little...much...for me.

I'll agree that KH is over-hyped to a huge degree, but I still find it fun, and the story charming in a very stupid way.

Can anyone follow the story at this point, without a wiki page opened?

This guy is a bad guy, who becomes sort of good, but then goes bad, who then goes bad with a different name and look, and then out of fucking nowhere...SORA and shit?

I'm guessing if you ignore the spin-off/side-story stuff it's fine.

But even the two main games get a little...much...for me.

I can follow the story, I don't look at a bunch of wiki pages often, never went to a kingdom hearts related one other than to get a picture for a sig.

I like the complexity of the story, it actually takes thought, and the characters are not one dimentional.

• 2 months later...

Can't say I disagree with you guys(and girls).

I honestly have no idea what the story is, let alone what's happening on screen most of the time. And I can certainly see why a lot of people dislike the series.

With that said tho, I think it's the little things that many people find enjoyable. As someone said before, it's that blending of two worlds of disney and final fantasy that caters to your nostalgia. While it's kinda ridiculous to see these androgynous anime like characters of final fantasy mixed with the animated characters of disney, it's still amazing to see them all together in one universe, working together towards the antagonist.

And it's not much, but it was one of the few games that made use of the d-pad, and not just a mirror of the analog stick.

Wow... I have to disagree with a lot of people here... While I it did took me a while to understand the whole story of Kingdom Hearts (since I was young back when it 1st release; Like 10 years ago).

The Story to me, is great just because it took a different approach to telling it, leaving loop holes just made me want to find out the story even more. As I started to "re-connect" everything together, the more everything started to make sense and how everything is related like a detective story!. And I how could you not like the music!? I luv the music esp. Traverse Town. Well I guess excluding all the disney stuff. I don't play Kingdom Hearts for disney nor Final Fantasy nostalgia reason, I play for Kingdom hearts.

On a side note, Kingdom Hearts 1 I feel was just an experiment for SE. But Kingdom Hearts 2 was great along side with Birth by sleep and 358/2 days. Re-Chain of Memories was alright even though it connect to the main story.

CAN'T WAIT TILL KINGDOM HEARTS III

Edited by Legado
  • Like 1

I played KH back on PS2 and I didn't really get into it (I'm not much of a JRPG guy, but I've been trying to get into it). I can still appreciate that, at the time, it pushed the limits of graphics. And the music is amazing lets be honest here. I dont even like KH but I can still see why it was influential.

The final cutscene from KH 1 (spoilers)

http://vimeo.com/65371305

That looks amazing for PS2

Edited by BadmanEncodes

LOL! I respect that there's some people that doesn't like it. I suggest you play them all before saying that it's not that great. KH is a looong series with plot puzzles. Obviously, if you played only 1 of the games and stopped after that, you'll say that it's not that great. The characters are Disney-style, so I guess you people doesn't like Disney in the first place for disliking the characters. As for the story/plot, yeah, it might be confusing for some, but playing ALL the games will give you excitement and sometimes blow your mind when you discover something about the plot. About the music, I don't know why you dislike it, but the music is magnificent. It gives me that Disney ambiance with a bit of Square's "Action-goer" tunes.. So yeah, for me it's a masterpiece. :)

Kingdom Hearts and I have an extremely awkward relationship when I actually take a second to think about it. I'm not sure what it is that I like about the game. I've followed it since KH1... back around when it first came out. Because of that, I think I see the game itself as a bit of childhood nostalgia beyond just the subjects featured in it (Disney/Final Fantasy/Etc). Honestly, I can't stand Sora. I can't stand having Donald and Goofy as companions (they're incredibly irritating). The gameplay is sub par, the plot of the first game is rather dull... and yet I still enjoy playing it from time to time. 
It is definitely not a game you can just jump into from any title. As much as I appreciate the ongoing complexity of the story... I also think some of that "complexity" is entirely unnecessary.  Or perhaps they chose the wrong details to add "puzzles" to? Even as I pieced things together, I sometimes found myself wondering what the point of it all was.

...Whatever the case, I understand the hostility towards it. 

• Koby changed the title to Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX (Kingdom Hearts 1, Re:Chain of Memories, 358/2 Days) Discussion