Religion

-PHXN- New001

Are you an Atheist?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Are you an Atheist?

• I'm an Atheist.
    • No, I believe in God.

I ain't against religion on the whole. However. I do have a problem with the whole telling people what to think thing. Free will is perhaps our greatest gift, and yet people waste it by following the rest of the herd, or the flock, whatever you want to call them.

Personally, I believe that religion, no matter the name you give it, is best practiced alone.

In my opinion, people are too cynical with regards to religion. They often say things like, "if you need that crutch in your life suit yourself". What is wrong with principles that refer to love and harmony, since all humans seek this one way or another? It's like saying the love you feel for your girlfriend is pointless, even though we all have the natural desire for human effection.

Yeah, I tend to agree. While I love arguing my stance, I don't think it's very useful to outlaw religion or push atheism ("Militant Atheism" is a dangerous and self-contradictory movement in my opinion). The crutch thing irks me too. I agree with the idea of it, but it's deceptively negative phrasing. I think we all have different personalities and need to understand our world in different ways. If somebody needs a deity above them to feel peace or urge them to live a better life, then it's good that they found a way to complete there life, so long as they don't try to push them on the rest of us.

Science is based upon empirical truths.

This is a bit of an oxymoron to be honest. I'm an empiricist as well, so I think you're on to something, but the whole point of empiricism is that "truth" is unattainable, hence we look for facts and data that imply truth. Try reading up on David Hume, he's more or less the quintessential empiricist. Kant was also good, but he got tied up in religion too much (also my reasoning for not suggesting Berkeley), so he's not really an empiricist in the purest sense.

• 1 month later...

Are you an Atheist? If yes then why do you not believe in god? How old old were you when you first question the existence of god? How old were you when you realized finally that god does not exist? Do your parents know you're an Atheist? Do you believe in Karma?

If you're not an Atheist then why do you believe in god? DO you blindly follow whats written in your religious books? Do you feel Atheists should believe in God? Do you believe God created Earth or you believe in Theory of Evolution?

I'm myself an Atheist, being living in religious country like India it's very difficult being an Atheist. But my parents and friends have always supported me. If my relatives come to know about this, they might surely get angry on me. I was 13yr old when I used to think if god was real, then when I was 15yr old I started to question a lot to my parents about god, which they never had any answer to. So, I was finally an Atheist when I was 16.

If a god did appear in front of you and proved that beyond a doubt that it was a god, would you believe in it? If so, you are agnostic. I am agnostic myself, and I enjoy being on the fence about these debates. If you wouldnt mind editing your poll, would be appreciated.

Sorry can't edit the poll. There is no option for that.

Now that you mention it, I might be a agnostic myself. I also debate many times with people on this topic if they try to forcefully take me to a Temple.

Atheists are thought to be closed-minded because they deny the existence of gods, whereas agnostics appear to be open-minded because they do not know for sure. This is a mistake because atheists do not necessarily deny any gods and may indeed be an atheist because they do not know for sure — in other words, they may be an agnostic as well.

http://atheism.about.com/od/aboutagnosticism/a/atheism.htm

Just to try to clear up things a bit

Atheism and Agnosticism have many similarities. Since my family is a Hindu I was born as believer, but I always considered to if 'what my parents are asking me to do' is reasonable or not. I think Atheism was next stage of Agnosticism for me, I always did reason everything religious, I didn't find any answers so I turned Atheist.

Atheism is a hatred of religion. If you dont like religion or you dont believe in it, then you are an agnostic. Atheism is when you hate it, will never believe no matter what, and will do acts to impede the progress of religion. I went to a Catholic school so we got these definitions driven into our skulls.

Wrong, atheism is the lack of belief not hatred of religion, agnostic means you aren't sure Yes I'm atheist.

I think the fact that you went to a catholic school has a lot to do why you have the wrong ideas about atheism.Just research it a bit and you will be surprised.

Wrong, atheism is the lack of belief not hatred of religion, agnostic means you aren't sure Yes I'm atheist.

I think the fact that you went to a catholic school has a lot to do why you have the wrong ideas about atheism.Just research it a bit and you will be surprised.

Look at the literal greek translation. Hate of religion. Just saying

I do and I don't believe in god so I am not a atheist but I cant say I believe in god either. I just don't know and it just really doesn't matter to me either way. If I have to worship god my whole life so that I can have a good after life then it's not a god I want. Id rather just live my life without wondering which religion is true.

I would like to believe in karma however nothing has given me reason to yet. Every bad person I've known has gotten away with it.

I used to think there was only one religion and that was the way the world was, My father blind sided me from everything. He was a Christan so the whole world had to be. But he really wasn't a very good one. When I was 13 or 14 I finally left a youth group and denounced my faith. The leader of the youth group tried to tell me it's alright and everyone had their doubts so I just told her I didn't care and she was mad at me for not believing. I don't like people who to try to push things it only makes people go further away. Now days I've picked what I believe in and I simply just don't care. I'm not gonna waist any time on it and if someone forces it on me I wont waist any time on them

Look at the literal greek translation. Hate of religion. Just saying
Literal Greek translation etymology (that's what we look for in word meaning) ἀ- (a-, “without”) + θεός (theos, “god”).

'Without" doesn't imply any sort of feeling behind it. It just means that, without, lacking, not having, not including.

If a society where they never believed in a God because the idea of "God" never occurred to anyone existed, they would atheists.

But even if you want to use the idea of "denial of Religion/deity." That still doesn't imply "hate." If someone denies the existence of "God," hate isn't necessarily the motive for this belief. It could be. But the term doesn't imply that it is. One would have to explain their reason for being an atheist as "hate of religion" in addition to saying they are atheist. Since one doesn't imply the other.

You're wrong. Completely, utterly, objectively, and in no shape or form are you right.

As for me personally, I am Ignostic. What's that?

Too lazy to go into detail, Wikipedia actually did a decent job giving an analogy to the other two:

An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" '.

I don't believe in the Christian God. Or, more to the point, I don't care if he exists or not, either way he's not MY God.

I'm Heathen, a Gothi (Norse priest kinda). I believe in an entire pantheon. I don't care if others don't follow the beliefs of myself and those who share similar views, all I ask is this: Just as I don't shove my beliefs down your throat, don't shove them down mine. Fanatical Christian/Muslim or Rabid scientist. Don't care. Leave me alone, I leave you alone. We can debate peacefully, or I can beat you with a 4x2. Your choice :P

I'm kinda Agnostic myself. I just can't say I understand the unknown. It's an unsolved paradox that would only make a person go insane if they tried to fully grasp it. I think the idea of "god(s)" is usually very logical, but very uncrediable if that makes any sense.

I do not worship any being whether they're proven to be real or not. I find the majority of these "pure and just" gods to be very off and even quite currupt in my opinion. If the final battle of armagedon does happen, I'm not fighting for God or Satan ... I'll be a part of the resistance! I'm going try my best to defend this world from both even if I die trying. Whose with me?!